Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Great Dane

StaceyB
July 24th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Everyone out there with a dane. I would really like to see a pic.

StaceyB
July 26th, 2005, 01:19 PM
This is Montana

Prin
July 26th, 2005, 10:42 PM
***silence.... somebody coughs..***

Looks like there aren't many Dane owners. :D

Here's Boo. We thought he was a dane mix for a little bit, does that count?

StaceyB
July 26th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Sure, it looks as if that is quite possible.

Puppyluv
July 26th, 2005, 10:54 PM
OOO montana's VERY handsome.
Prin, is there a thread that Boo or Jemma don't show up in? (Just kidding, I love seeing their pics!)

Prin
July 26th, 2005, 10:56 PM
:o I know. I'm sorry. I like to brag, and seeing as I post, what, 28 posts a day, they're bound to pop up a couple of times.
(hey! I'm down to below 26!!) :D

Puppyluv
July 26th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Pick up the pace!!! :p

Prin
July 26th, 2005, 11:47 PM
LOL Goes to show that even though I come here to procrastinate, I still come less often now, while I'm in school...

mona_b
July 27th, 2005, 12:45 AM
Montana is just handsome..... ;)

I love Danes.My Aunt raised 5,a long with a Newfie and a St.Bernard.

One of my best friends owns a beautiful Dane named Jazz.I posted this pick quite some time ago.

This is a pic of Jazz with Peanut.Peanut is her sisters Beagle.The 2 are best of buddies...... :D

BMDLuver
July 27th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Omg Jazz is gorgeous!

Prin, Boo could definitely be Boston Dane and Black Lab!

Here's a Dane that I adored who fostered with me until he went to his new home in Ontario.. *sniff*

toby's tracy
July 27th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Here's a Dane that I adored who fostered with me until he went to his new home in Ontario.. *sniff*

No wonder you adored him! I don't know if I could foster...I'd fall in love and want to keep them all :love:

Prin
July 27th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Now I'm gonna have to search for "Boston Dane" SIGH.

We think he's newf with pointer. He's got the pointer ears. Here's him next to a weim.

Prin
July 27th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Can anybody describe for me the personality of a dane in detail? I have known a couple but not well enough to know what they were about. I'm curious.

StaceyB
July 27th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Goofy, couch potato, friendly, cuddle bum, extremely fast, lazy unless playing, great w/ kids and other animals, gentle, beautiful, social. Now this is just mine. As we know it is how they are raised, but most are just like him.

Prin
July 27th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Do they seek out attention, or just take it when it comes? So yours isn't fearful? The ones that I have met always avoided being touched by strangers..

StaceyB
July 27th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Oh no he loves everyone. The only time he was fearful was when he was about 4 months old. We were walking down the road(sidewalk), in the winter when a bus went speeding by and splashed slush, sand all over him. He was nervous of loud trucks for a few weeks. I worked very hard to remove that fear as quickly as possible.

StaceyB
July 27th, 2005, 02:54 PM
He loves babies. When he sees them in strollers he wants to smell them, or lick their face.

Prin
July 27th, 2005, 03:02 PM
So what you're saying is I should get one? :D

StaceyB
July 27th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Yes indead, though as a trainer I strongly believe you need to start training early and continue through adulthood. You should also do your research finding a good breeder. There are so many health problems associated w/ giant breeds. Get one from a healthy line, good health guarantee, sound temperment.
If you would like I can help you out with finding one.

Prin
July 27th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Oh, it won't be now. Sorry if I was a bit misleading.... It'll be when my doggies are not with me anymore. This is the Jemma and Boo era of my life, and when that's over, in about 20 years hopefully (they're 4 now), then I'll strongly consider a dane. I love the size and the look, but the ones I met before were a bit sketchy as far as their personalities went... But if you're still posting here, I'll definitely ask for advice.

shannon1233A
July 27th, 2005, 05:04 PM
I love Big Breeds, esp. Danes. So regal looking. Montanna is soooooo handsome, and so is Jazz :angel:

Prin, you gotta keep posting, you wouldn't want me catching up with you :eek: lol esp. the pics, you know that :D

StaceyB
July 27th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Thank you,

Its funny how you can tell the breeder from the look of the dogs. It seems that all of the dogs that I have seen through Lean On Me Great Danes all have the same look. Yolanda breeds some of her dogs to those from Cheviot, you can pick them out by the pic. Cheviot has a website, if you like check them out against Montana and Lucus.

Luba
July 27th, 2005, 08:59 PM
I love danes, they're beautiful dogs.

I can't say I like the cropped/docked look though, not so partial to that..I love au natural like friends Tanner here....actually for the most part I don't believe in docking/cropping for most breeds.

StaceyB
July 27th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Did you find out what breeder Tanner came from?

Prin
July 27th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Does anybody have a blue dane? Or a black one? Why are fawns so popular? :)

StaceyB
July 27th, 2005, 10:55 PM
look in thread lean on me great danes

BMDLuver
July 28th, 2005, 07:01 AM
So far I've had 2 blue, 1 boston, 2 Harlequin, 1 Merle and 1 fawn come through. I'm partial to the Harlequins but honestly all but one have been big goofs with amazing personalities. Definitely when my Berner is no longer with us, I will be getting a permanent Dane resident. I was trying to get you a photo of a Boston but the site is not up presently. :o

mona_b
July 28th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Since we are on the subject of Danes......LOL

Now this one is well trained.... :D

mona_b
July 28th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Prin,here is a pic of a Boston.Actually a Boston and Mantle(what I have heard) are the same.

Sorry the pic may be a bit small.

Daniac
July 28th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Does anybody have a blue dane? Or a black one? Why are fawns so popular? :)

In Germany the blues are VERY popular! :)

Here's my little blue hellion having fun running through the tunnel at the dog park.

mona_b
July 28th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Ummmmm Daniac,don't you think you forgot something?????

LMAO

BMDLuver
July 28th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Prin,here is a pic of a Boston.Actually a Boston and Mantle(what I have heard) are the same.

Sorry the pic may be a bit small.
I may be incorrect so Daniac jump in but I think the difference between a Mantle and a Boston is the Mantle has the white like the mane of a lion and the Boston doesn't, having a diamond type chest white mark. :o

Daniac
July 28th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Mona, You lost me?! Not hard to to! :) But what did I forget?

Jen, A Boston is the exact same thing as a Mantle. Boston's were allowed to be shown in Canada prior to the US and were referred to as Boston's up here in Canada. The story goes that after they became a recognised colour in the US the Boston Terrier people did not want them using the name Boston for the Mantle pattern so they use the name Mantle in the US but up here they use both.

Per the Great Dane Club of Canada Standard,

vi) Boston or Black-Mantled Danes:
A black and white dog witha black mantle extending over the body; white blaze or muzzle or both; white chest; white on part or whole of forelegs and hindlegs; part or whole white collar; white tipped tail; dark eyes; dark nose. Acceptable but less desirable - lack of collar.
Faults: Any variation detracting from the general appearance.

Prin
July 28th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Since we are on the subject of Danes......LOL

Now this one is well trained.... :D
I thought that guy was a pitty! :rolleyes: Still looks like a pitty to me.

More Dane pics!!! You guys have the biggest doggies and you brag the least. What the hey?!

Luba
July 28th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Stacey sorry I haven't had the opportunity to hear from them yet about Tanner but I do recall them telling me at one point I 'think'
perhaps around Hamilton On?

Daniac
July 28th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Luba,

If they got Tanner from Hamilton he could be a littermate of Lucas' or a close relation.

When is his birthday?

Prin
July 28th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Is there any health differences between the different types? Like are the blues genetically weaker or anything like that?

StaceyB
July 28th, 2005, 09:35 PM
They all have the potential to have health issues as they are a giant breed but from what I see the harliquin has the most. Many are blind and deaf.

Prin
July 28th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Good to know. But I guess if you have a great breeder, they tell you..

StaceyB
July 28th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Great breeders will ensure that these genetic defects are to a minimum in their lines.

mona_b
July 29th, 2005, 12:47 AM
Mona, You lost me?! Not hard to to! But what did I forget?

You forgot to post the link....Ok,maybe I'm the one who is loosing it....LOL

Yes,the Harliquins are known to be deaf.But it's usually the ones who are more white and little of the black.

Kariia
July 31st, 2005, 11:21 AM
I saw a harlequin Dane yesterday...I thought it was a young cow until I got closer. xD

They are neat looking, though..

StaceyB
July 31st, 2005, 11:28 AM
Ah that made me laugh, when someone asks me what they look like that is how I describe them. Sorry to those who have one. All danes are great.

kandy
August 3rd, 2005, 11:27 AM
I absolutely love Great Danes! I really tried to talk hubby into one when we were deciding on a puppy (of course, we went with newfs instead). I had one as a kid named Dudley Dooright and he was a total goofball! Someone stole him when he was about 8 months old and we never saw him again. :sad: I've wanted another one ever since. Of course, if I owned one of every breed that I love, I'd have about 30 dogs or more! :p