Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog is limping

jenndogg
July 24th, 2005, 07:12 PM
My dog is not using her front paw and she is licking and bitting at her pad. I think something is stuck in her pad but I can't see anything. She gets quite upset and nippy when I try to look at it or touch it. Any suggestions before I go to the vet? :

White Wolf
July 24th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Are you going to the emergency vet?

SnowDancer
July 24th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Breed type? I would definitely go to vet and depending on breed type could be more than something caught in paw.

StaceyB
July 24th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Wrap a sock or nylons around mouth to work as a muzzle. This way you can check the area w/o getting bit. Use a flashlight so you can get a good look. Clean the area with disinfectant. I personally would also use peroxide on it so if it bubbles I can easily find the spot. If it is a splinter it will help to bring it out.

SnowDancer
July 25th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Yes, I would try everything Stacey has suggested. But I asked about breed type because a limping front paw - or a paw that is causing pain when walked on is a symptom of neck disc disease which can only be treated by surgery. I found out the hard way - went to an emergency vet as mine was closed. They diagnosed a strained muscle and prescribed medication. When medication ran out, limp started again. In the meantime emergency vet had not forwarded X-rays to our primary vet. Took pup to our vet - they got the X-rays - the neurosurgeon had him on the table in short order. Don't want to scare you, but sometimes knowing a breed type really helps.

Donita
July 25th, 2005, 08:22 PM
My dog is a black lab mix and when he is allergic to any certain food such as chicken or brewer's yeast and the like, he gets a fungal infection between his toe pads which causes him to lick and bite his pads. If possible check between your dog's toe pads and look for anything that would be black or dark and smelly. This is usually a dog's way of showing food allergies.