Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need Help!

gmessori
July 24th, 2005, 07:50 AM
We rescued a 8 week old puppy from the shelter on Tuesday. Bones, a female staffie mix, was born and raised at the shelter and had never known life outside of it. We have introduced her to everything from grass to cats, and are busy chasing her around as she tastes everything thatís new to her.

But there is a problem. Yesterday afternoon she started throwing up, by around 8 she had diarrhea so by 9 she was at the doctors. They tested for Parvo and it was negative so gave her 2 antibiotic shots and an IV for fluids. They sent me home with Clavomox and Reglan, told me to give her nothing but Pedalyte today and light food tomorrow (recommended white rice and cottage cheese.)

Problem is, she refuses to drink, wont go near water or anything. Before we took her to the vet, we tried to get her to eat ANYTHING, hot dogs, ice cream, cheese, peanut butter... anything just to stimulate her appetite to no avail.

She has to drink today or will need to go to the hospital, which will break her 4 year old buddies heart. Our daughter (and us) has had a terrible year. She lost her Grandpa on Jan 6th, a rabbit in may, her Grandma on June 30th and another rabbit last week. While I was at the vet's, she picked flowers for Bones box, which broke our hearts. Our little girl has had more death in her life then any child should ever have, so bones MUST make it.

Bones is not running a fever, is lethargic but comfortably snoring besides me. I have been making her drink using a syringe, which makes me feel like crap, but I do not know what else to do. So I ask all of you to give me any advice you might have. Money is not the object, I spent 250 bucks last night and will spent 10 times that if I have to. Any ideas would be great, please help Bones feel better!

chico2
July 24th, 2005, 07:56 AM
gmessori,I can certainly feel your pain and concerns for your pup and your daughter.
There are a bunch of knowledgable people here,who I am sure can help you,so stick around...and good luck!!
Also,thank you for rescuing a Staffie :love:

gmessori
July 24th, 2005, 08:07 AM
I wanted to take her Mom too. I knew what her fate was, but having a cat already in my home, I knew there was a great risk. Sadly, her Mom never had a chance, they were not even willing to allow her to be adopted. Her mom was a sweet girl, while I was looking at her pups she came over to sniff me out. It almost seemed as she accepted me as she licked my hand. This pup has had a sad life, so I just want her to know nothing but love from now on. When my cat passes on, I will make sure to replace her with an older animal I rescue, as those so often do not get a second glance. Maybe a nice ugly mutt.

chico2
July 24th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Sadly this is often the case with mommy-dogs and cats for that matter.
I have 3 cats and have never had a sick puppy(had puppies yrs ago)so I cannot answer your questions.But I assume keeping the pup hydrated is most important.
Please return and check,this is the best place to be for advice and comfort.
It's always a little quieter here in the weekend.

Cookie's Mom
July 24th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Gmessori,
What a good person you are to adopt Bones. I pray that you will find a vet who can help . I'm sure you know that any time that an animal refuses food and water it is inidicative of something serious. Wish I could offer you some advice, but I can't. Best of luck to you, Bones and your poor little girl, who, as you said, has already had far too much death in her short life. CM

Lucky Rescue
July 24th, 2005, 09:39 AM
OH thanks for saving this poor baby.

Are you sure she's not drinking anything? A way to find out is to measure her water out in a measuring cup, then pour the water back in the cup at the end of day to see if any is missing.

For the eating, try putting boiled chicken and rice in a blender with some water or chicken broth with no salt. Get those sticks used for examining people's throats. Put a glob of food on the stick and wipe it on the roof of her mouth. She will have to swallow it and it might kick start her appetite. Baby food is also something most animals can't resist.

I hope she comes around. You are an :angel: to take on this sick and unwanted baby!!!

gmessori
July 24th, 2005, 10:03 AM
She has not left our sight since she came home. Me and my wife both work from home, and with stitches we have been very careful of her. I sleep on the couch due to a back problem, and Bones has been sleeping with me. She has not figured out that she could jump down, so she wakes me up when it is potty time and I take her out. The upside is she is 80% potty trained after only 4 days with us. I also know when she eats or drinks, and I know she has had nothing to drink on her own. The vet said she had mild dehydration, but was not at a dangerous level. I do not know if this will help, but her diarreha is white, mucosy looking. I just gave her the Reglan, so in 1/2 hour I am gonna make her drink some pedialite and see how she holds it. I also am gonna go get some baby food and try to get her to hold some down. Is apple sauce good? I have some handy if it is. What about tuna? I know it has worked with cats. I also heard Cottage cheese is good?

I am far from an angel, but I cant stand to see any animal suffer.

gomez
July 24th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Try boiling up some chicken or turkey or beef, with nothing added, then use the flavoured water to make ice cubes - then give your puppy the cubes, they become a flavoured water toy... or maybe she might like the cooled down liquid as is instead of water...

Then you can use the meat as part of the bland diet...

Also, you can try making a puree of her food with water added, that helps in getting water in...

pags
July 24th, 2005, 10:43 AM
The vet said she had mild dehydration, but was not at a dangerous level. I do not know if this will help, but her diarreha is white, mucosy looking.

Did the vet check for coccidia? This sounds like what we were looking at when our shelter puppy was diagnosed. The vet said the mucous in the stool was often an indication. We were given an oral suspension medication called SXT and told to administer twice per day for a minimum of two weeks. It has now been four weeks and we're still using up what's left at our vet's recommendation though our pup's last exam was clear.

Don't feel bad about using the syringe to hydrate. Keep it up - don't forget the pedialyte. Everybody's given excellent advice. What helped us the most was adding water to all of our pup's food so that he was getting plenty of liquids from the food. Also - get her to eat a spoon of plain yogurt a day -- mix it in with the food or use the tongue-depressor method LuckyRescue mentioned... But use the yogurt to amp up her digestive system.

Keep going - you're doing great. And keep coming back to the board -- all the people here have helped us a ton.. and we're ALL here for you. :grouphug:

chico2
July 24th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Also,when the pup is feeling better,we just love pics :love:

gmessori
July 24th, 2005, 11:56 AM
I am just waiting for her next potty to grab something to take to the vet. Thankfully they will allow me just to take a sample without dragging Bones 30 miles. She gets carsick, and with her already suffering... Thank you guys and gals for the advice, we apprecitate it alot! Bones sends kisses to all of you and will pose for pictures later.

gmessori
July 24th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Anyone know around how many ounces of water a healthy puppy will drink in a day? I have managed to get @ 3 ounces into Bones in the last 8 hours, she has not thrown up and het last bowel movement was only a few drops, maybe 1.5 ml all together. Other then that she has been sleeping alot, only getting up to go potty.

Prin
July 24th, 2005, 02:47 PM
When you pull on her neck fur, does it go back to normal really quickly, or is it slow to return? That is one way to test for severe dehydration.

gmessori
July 24th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Neck fur goes right back, less then a half a second

Prin
July 24th, 2005, 03:21 PM
So that's not terrible, it seems to be ok. Did the vet ask you to go back for a follow up? I'd go back in tomorrow, and see if the vet thinks she needs more fluids. Otherwise, keep doing what you're doing and really monitor her for any changes. Good luck. :grouphug: