Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Having Her Kittens So Far There Is 4

TRICIA81
July 24th, 2005, 02:15 AM
i Just Wanted To Write Cause I Have A Question About Letting The Male Cat (father) Come Around The Kittens. Will He Harm Them? Should I Keep Him Away Until They Are Bigger? I Am Clueless On This One. Also I Heard That If You Even Touch The Kittens The Mother Cat Will Eat Them. Is This True? Please Send Me Your Input On This Cause I Don't Know Nothing About Any Of This Stuff. Thanxs

White Wolf
July 24th, 2005, 02:32 AM
Have you contacted your vet yet?

CyberKitten
July 24th, 2005, 02:39 AM
For their own protection, please keep the tom away from the mama and kittens. A Tom can be aggressive, especially if he is not neutered (You clearly are an inexperienced breeder so I hope this Tom is neutered) For example, Messybeast.com notes that a "tomcat may attempt to assert dominance over a kitten, particularly an unruly one, and in doing so may break the kitten's neck." As a rule, it is best to keep all the other cats in the home away from the mom and kittens for their own health and safety.

And no, I have no idea where you heard you should not pick up the kittens. The more socialization the better but you need to be careful with them and treat mama with respect - they are HER babies after all.

Here are some web sites that may help:

http://www.kittenrescue.org/handbook.htm#Basics
http://www.kitten-rescue.com/birth_to_two_weeks.html
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/kittens.html

Unless this cat is a titled purebred, it should be spayed very soon after the birth because she can become pregant again especially if you have an uneutered Tom running loose in the home. (NOT a good thing!!). I am assuming this is a stray and not your cat - please spay and neuted your pets unless they are champions and will enhance the quality of a particular breed, you have studied the pedigree and have done all the health and genetic testing and have a mentor from a cat club or qualifued breeder.

Your questions however lead me to conclude this is either a stray or your own cat became pregant by mistake. I am not being judgemental, just urging you for the health and safety of the animals and the fact that there are already too many unwanted kittens, to spay and neuter them asap!!!

Goodf luck in caring for the babies!! It is not as easy a job as one might think - it is a big responsibility, caring for tiny lives and mama is depending on you for help! Good luck!

TRICIA81
July 24th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Yes My Cats Are Purebreds And I Already Have Homes For All Of My Kittens To Go To When They Are Ready.i Only Wanted To Breed Them Once And Then Get The Both Of Them Fixed. I No That It Is A Tough Job Cause I Do Have A Child Of My Own, And I No How Hard It Is. I Do Not Forget About Mama She Is My Baby And Would Never Neglect Or Forget About Her.i Will Be Calling My Vet Tomorrow To See When I Can Bring Her And Him In To Get Fixed.there Was No Unwanted Cats Here, All Of Them Are Going To A Good Stable Home Where I No They Will Be Takin Care Of.

Lucky Rescue
July 24th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Isn't this the sick cat?? Hope the kittens are okay as they might get sick too.

A Question About Letting The Male Cat (father) Come Around The Kittens. Will He Harm Them?

Yes, he might harm them. He might kill them. He might not, but better to take no chances.

Also I Heard That If You Even Touch The Kittens The Mother Cat Will Eat Them. Is This True?

No this is not true, but don't handle them more than is necessary to make sure they are all okay.

These are things you should know before breeding. You can get the male neutered right now, and get the mother spayed right after her milk dries up and make sure she doesn't get out as she can get pregnant before the kittens are even weaned.

CyberKitten
July 24th, 2005, 11:26 AM
I hope mama and the kits are OK. It's just that with pedigreed cats, you usually have a mentor. You meet them at cat shows when you show your kitty. So, perhaps ask someone to mentor you! Many are only to happy to help someone new. And only a titled pedigreed purebred cat should (was going to say can and that's obvious <g>) be bed but I assume you know that.

How are the babies? Did mama get over her illness before having the kits?

TRICIA81
July 24th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Mama Cat Is Fine She Is Not Sick Anymore.she Was Only Sick For A Couple Of Days After I Took Her To My Vet.the Kittens Are Okay And Mama Is Doing A Good Job Taking Care Of Them. Like I Said I Will Be Calling My Vet Tomorrow And Then I Will Schedule A App To Get Cat Fixed.she Had Six Beautiful Kittens.

CyberKitten
July 24th, 2005, 12:28 PM
What breed is she? (I have a Siamsese) and am fostering 2 Sphynx - beautiful kitties imho, but I am biased. Do the kittens look like her? Do you have pix yet?

Golden Girls
July 24th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Please Send Me Your Input On This Cause I Don't Know Nothing About Any Of This Stuff. Thanxs

These are things you should know before breeding.

I'm not trying to be rude here but as you said you know nothing, may I ask why you own them yet have no knowledge of what to do? :confused:

Lucky Rescue
July 24th, 2005, 02:55 PM
I'm glad you took her to the vet, since disease can be passed to the kittens. What was the diagnosis?

IF you have other questions, please ask so we can help you care for all these cats.

I hope you are making up a contract for the sale of these kittens that includes a spay/neuter clause in it, so other people won't be tempted to breed yet more unshown, untitled cats when they are clueless.

Are your cats registered?

Prin
July 24th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Please Send Me Your Input On This Cause I Don't Know Nothing About Any Of This Stuff. Thanxs
Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.. I still don't understand why, if this was your first time, and these are purebred cats, you didn't have any help from either your breeder or your vet before and during the pregnancy. You have 6 tiny, fragile lives in your hands, plus the mother and father and you just seem to not take that too seriously.

TRICIA81
July 24th, 2005, 05:21 PM
I Took In These Two Cats When They Were Only A Few Months Old Because The Owner Did Not Want Them Anymore. (moving Away)they Are Pursian Cats. One Brown And One White They Both Have Blue Eyes And Are So Beautiful. It Is Not My Fault I No Nothing. There Is No Way That You Could No Everything There Is To No About Owning Cats. I Just Look At It This Way I Am Taking Care Of Them, They Are Healthy (by The Way Mama Just Had A Cold) But She Is Better Now. And It Could Be Worse They Could Be Out On The Streets Or In A Abusive Home.i Don't Understand Why All The Negative Feed Back I Thought This Site Was To Help And Educate Not Critsize!!!!!

Lucky Rescue
July 24th, 2005, 05:46 PM
We ARE trying to educate, since you have admitted you know nothing about breeding. Please use the information you are getting and don't be defensive.

Taking animals in or saving them from bad situations is not enough. You have to be responsible once you get them, and part of that is NOT breeding them for no reason. Breeding untitled rescue animals is not ethical.

Please don't be angry. We are trying to help you with these kitties. Give mom lots of food, including kitten food so she can produce enough milk for her babies. Do NOT use clumping litter when the babies start using the litterbox. Use plain clay only.

I assume she got pregnant on her first heat? If so, she is too young to be breeding and may not be able to properly care for such a large litter and may need help from you.

If the babies cry a lot, they may not be getting enough to eat. Check them often to make sure their bellies are round and that they are lively.

As I said, get your male neutered now, so there won't be a chance of any more litters. Make sure new owners spay and neuter the kittens, so there won't be any further breeding. This way, you can try and mitigate what you have done.

It doesn't matter if they are Persians. Millions of cats are homeless and that includes beautiful purebreds. We get more Persians/Himilayans dumped than other breeds when new owners find out these cats are high maintence and that they are too lazy to groom them properly. By the time we get them, they are matted messes.

107,000 homeless cats on Petfinder - 900 are Persians. There is no shortage and NO one should be breeding unless cats are show champions and can better the breed. Breeding "just because" is not a good reason.

Wudjah
July 24th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Tricia - a lot of people here are from rescues or are people who understand that there is a pet overpopulation problem in this world, especially with cats. I'm not sure where you are from, but here in Ontario, thousands upon thousands of cats & kittens are killed daily in shelters & pounds because the supply far exceeds the demand.
I cannot speak for others but it makes me very upset to hear about yet another litter born into this cruel world we live in and know that they either a)will never find a home and be another statistic or b)find a home and take away a home for a kitten/cat that is sitting on death row at a shelter. Not even to mention the possibility that they will go on to reproduce and then their kittens and so on.
I know you came here to find answers to your questions but it's hard for some responsible pet owners to understand that there are people out there with pets that didn't do their homework first, before acquiring their pets, and especially before breeding them.....especially when one has the convenience of the internet to learn pretty much all there is to know about such things as breeding BEFORE jumping into it.
I hope you don't leave this forum just yet - there is still plenty to be learned here. Try not to take offense to some of the posts - they really are here to help and definetely have your cat's best interest in mind.
Also, where are you located? Someone might be able to set you up with a low cost spay/neuter clinic if finances are one of the reasons your cats aren't fixed yet.

Puppyluv
July 24th, 2005, 06:39 PM
While I completely share everyone's feelings about spaying/neutering, and not breeding your pets, I think we all have to realize that Tricia's cat had kittens, and nothing we say will change that. Also, what she needs now is information, not to be scared off of the board (what we say is not always understood as we mean it)
Tricia- Please take LR's advice, it is probably the most valuable thing you can get right now. and PLEASE PLEASE spay/neuter your cats as soon as you can. (The tom asap, the mother once it is safe to do so) All the best luck with the kittens, and I am happy to hear that they were born safely.

CyberKitten
July 24th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Oh dear! I have to admit I worried they were not pedigreed or titled since you do seem to know much about breeding. Reputable breeders invest much time and money in their breeding programs and yes, they do actually know a considerable amount BEFORE they ever begin. As Lucky indicated, it is unethical to breed your cat - even if she is Persian (I do not breed my Siamese and she is show quality - not all purebreds are - do you even know if she is? Is she pet quality? Show quality? Did she even cpome from a reputable breeder or a backyard breeder?)

If you love her, you will spay her so she does not end up in some kitten mill mass producing babies!!

Use the info on the sites I have you - you will have to kee the kittens clean, warm , fed and make sure they eliminate if mama does not do it. You had indicated she was ill. What did the vet say? Young cats are not always good moms (some are but they still need help!!). You should prob get some extraKMR to help feed the babies so they all get the nutrients they need. And keep them WARM!! Kittens are very fragile and can fade all too easily!

I have to admit I am worried about these kittens. Do you have someone else who can help you there?

TRICIA81
July 24th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Once Again The Kittens Are Good. They Are Eating Moving Around And Appear Healthy. Mama Cat Is Doing A Good Job With Them Even Though She Is Young.she Is Comforting Them Feeding Them And Cleaning Them. I Took In These Two Cats Yes Not Knowing Much And Not Having Much Funds To Get Them Both Fixed.it Is Very Expensive As I Have Already Checked Into It. Like I Said I Am Calling Their Vet Tomorrow To Book My App For Him To Get Fixed And Then She Is Next.every House That Each Of These Kittens Are Going To Will Be In Good Hands As I Have Already Checked Into That. They All Will Be Vet Checked Before They Go And Will Get Fixed By The New Owners. I Am Not A Breeder And Was Given The Kittens Cause They Had Nowhere Else To Go. I Have The Mother On Kitten Food Which She Has Been On For About 2 Weeks Now.i Know That There Are Alot Of Cats And Kittens In This World,but Maybe If Vets Made The Cost To Fix Animals Then We Wouldn't Have This Problem In The World.in The Niagara Region Where I Live The Cost To Get One Cat Fixed Is Close To $200.

Puppyluv
July 24th, 2005, 07:35 PM
out of curiosity, was the cat pregnant when you took them in? I'm just a little confused about it all. Yes, it is true that it can be quite expensive to fix dogs/cats, the fact is, it's expensive to HAVE dogs/cats, and fixing them is just one of many costs. While I commend you for taking the cats in to your home, doing so without accomodating for everything is more of a disservice than anything. I am glad to hear that you will be fixing them soon, but please keep in mind, that the cost isn't much of an excuse, as vet bills continue for their whole lives.

StaceyB
July 24th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Keep those male cats away from her now not just for the kittens safety but because she can get pregnant again right after she gives birth. As someone else had posted, get the male in the home fixed now so he won't be the cause of another litter.

Tigger
July 25th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Please note that all threads have been closed or deleted until the OP takes her cat to the vet's office.