Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

thin cat lacks appetite?

cutiecherise
July 23rd, 2005, 04:23 PM
So I've brought in a mangy stray that turned out to be neutered and declawed... a runaway or a dump?
anyhow, he's now all cleaned up and enjoying being inside with people,

but he doesn't seem to have an appetite!
He's terribly thin, from malnourishment,
and up until last night he was eating everything we put out for him.

When I brought him in I but him in the bathroom, and he ate a little when he was in there.
Then I gave him a flea bath (and a flea collar)
Does this effect their appetite or health?

After that he wouldn't eat dry or even canned cat food, but ate a little bit of tuna last night.
Today he ate nothing at all!

He urinates but has not made a bowel movement yet (that I know of... Hope not!)
How frequently does this need to happen?

Also, because he's been living the wild life for quite some time, I'm sure he'll have worms. (working on treating those too) Might they, or deworming medication make cats lose their appetite?

Is it just the stress of being brought inside so suddenly?

He also has bad breath and plaque. Maybe his teeth are bothering him?

He will be brought to a vet (to check for microchips, clean his teeth, deworm, update shots)
so no worries, he will be taken care of, but how soon will it need to happen?
I will update if there are any changes.

chico2
July 23rd, 2005, 04:39 PM
I believe all the things you mentioned might effect his appetite,a flea-bath especially...I would take off the flea-collar,they do not work anyway,I stopped using them years ago.
The smell of insecticide do strange things to cat,mine absolutely hate it when I put the monthly Advantage on...so much so,that I chose to put it on bi-monthly.
It's good you are taking him to the vet,he might have some other problems,teeth for one and thank's for taking him in,de-clawed he has no way of defending himself against any threat.
You did good,I am sure the cat will be fine :love:

cutiecherise
July 23rd, 2005, 06:13 PM
Pierrot (the cat) finally had something to eat not five minutes ago,
relieved because i was beginning to worry...
Maybe he prefers to eat only in the evening?

Lucky Rescue
July 23rd, 2005, 07:45 PM
He will be brought to a vet (to check for microchips, clean his teeth, deworm, update shots)

He needs to go now. He could have a host of parasites that need treating so be sure to take a stool sample and get blood tests too.

What sort of "flea bath" did you use? I hope it wasn't anything by Hartz, since some of their products are lethal and still being sold. Flea collars should not be used and can make cats sick.

Cookie's Mom
July 27th, 2005, 08:34 AM
He needs to go now. He could have a host of parasites that need treating so be sure to take a stool sample and get blood tests too.

What sort of "flea bath" did you use? I hope it wasn't anything by Hartz, since some of their products are lethal and still being sold. Flea collars should not be used and can make cats sick.

I second the motion about the cat needing to see a vet ASAP. One of our three cats was rescued from a wooded area. She looked like a skeleton, had no appetite, and was in very bad shape. She had giardia ( a very dangerous parasite), probably from drinking contaminated water where we found her.
Please, take the cat to the vet ASAP if you haven't already done so. And by the way, human can catch giardia from cleaning litter boxes, so be careful not to come in contact with the feces. Wear rubber gloves when you clean the litter box until you have taken the kitty to the vet.
I also agree about not using Hartz flea collars or flea baths. Get some "advantage" from the vet........more expensive, but safer for your cat. I think you can also get it at petmeds.com at a discount. Good luck. CM

SnowDancer
July 27th, 2005, 10:41 AM
I would take the cat in right away. When I rescued a cat from the streets I took him directly to the vet as we have other pets. He was there for a week being cleaned up - shots, worms, fleas etc.