Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Doesn't Like Loud Noises

TRICIA81
July 23rd, 2005, 01:53 PM
This is kind of a strange question and story that i have about my cat. Everytime i talk loud, yell at my daughter or if my daughter cries my cat acts really funny. She starts meowing and goes right up to your face. And if my other cat is around she will go and try to bite his neck.I am really confused about this cause it happens alot and i don't no why she does it. So if any of you have some input on why you think she would react like this please let me no. THANXS

CyberKitten
July 23rd, 2005, 02:10 PM
How old is your cat? Kittens HATE loud nosies - but if you try to teach them they're OK, they may be less fearful.

Prin
July 23rd, 2005, 05:08 PM
I am really confused about this cause it happens alot and i don't no why she does it. How often do you yell and does your daughter cry? Somehow I think you should listen to the cat. :)

Lucky Rescue
July 23rd, 2005, 06:55 PM
Right. Most cats hate loud noises, yelling, etc. and yours sounds like one of the very thinned-skinned ones.

And if my other cat is around she will go and try to bite his neck.

This is called "redirected aggression". Your cat can't do anything about your yelling or the baby crying, so she takes out her aggression on your other cat.

TRICIA81
July 23rd, 2005, 10:48 PM
My Cat Is Two Years Old And Is About 8 Weeks Pregnant. I Don't Yell That Often It Is Even If I Laugh Or Just Talk Loud She Meows And Comes Right Up To Your Mouth,but If The Other Cat Is Around She Will Bite Him!!

Trinitie
July 24th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Get both cats "fixed" and the problem may go away, with time and patience. It seems to me, and I could be wrong, that your cats are nervously trying to protect themselves. An (I'm assuming) intact Tom and a pregnant Queen could spell trouble around the house.

Have the male neutered right away, and talk to your vet to see if it's too late to do the female. She may be too far along, but ask anyway.

Wudjah
July 24th, 2005, 10:46 PM
This reminds me of the time I was badly bitten/attacked by one of my foster cats when he heard a meow noise from my then infant daughters kick&play piano. He was an Oriental shorthair that I rescued from being euth'd a pound because he was unmanageable (ie cat from hell). He turned out to be a really sweet guy once out of the pound but he turned into the devil when he heard this sound...the first time I thought it was funny as he ran at me and then turned around and walked off. The second time I actually got bitten in the hand and thigh when he pounced on me (learned my lesson that time).
So be careful, some cats obviously just don't like certain sounds and you wouldn't want the biting behaviour transferred to you or your daughter.

For anyone wondering, George did find an excellent home - we ended up driving him there (3.5 hours away) as we were going to be honeymooning in the area anyways. We took our daughter with us but kept the piano packed away until we dropped him off :D

chico2
July 25th, 2005, 08:56 AM
My Rocky,among other weird things he does,gets all smoochy and cuddly if I sneeze or cough,maybe he think's I am going to pass on :D Even if he's sleeping he'll come running seeming all concerned about me..cute!
All three of my cats hate loud noises,especially the evil vaccum-cleaner :evil:

Tigger
July 25th, 2005, 12:59 PM
This thread is closed so that the OP may take her cat to the vet's office.