Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Having one of those days.

doggy lover
July 23rd, 2005, 12:11 PM
Do you ever get days where you feel sorry for yourself? I'm doing house work listening to the eagles, trooper, supertramp you know the good old stuff. I keep thinking of my teen years how fun they were, missing my dog Travis that we pts last year, missing my grandmother who died last year and other family that have passed on. Thinking how grown up my kids are, ones away for the weekend and the other has gone out with his girlfriend to a movie.
Where did my life go, where is it going? that kind of mood. I just feel like crying. It is nice to be alone, hubby is at work, but its lonely.Well other than Tucker keeps bighting my feet because I'm on the computer and not playing with him. Funny how they get up to things when they know you are down, like hey don't forget I'm here.
I told my son thats why I like pets more they don't dump you for a BF or GF, they always want you around. They don't ask for money to take a friend to the movies. They don't grow up and move away from home, and leave us lonely.
Well thanks for listening like I said one of those days, "We're here for a good time not a long time" so have a good time right!

CyberKitten
July 23rd, 2005, 12:29 PM
I have days like that! I suspect we all do. I wonder why I made the choices I did - were they the right ones - and bemoan my medical problems (This happens usually when I am in intractable chronic pain that even narcotics won't help - recently had a new experiemtal procedure but thus far, it is not doing what was hoped (ie - helping to ease the pain by maybe 40%).

I was quite inconsolable after my bunny died - a friend recently told me "people were worried about me!" - my pets are my babies!! But I do see someone for post traumatic stress - because of my work in the 3rd world and war torn countries. One sees things that are pretty horrific, worse than the worse day I have ever endured here.

Then I think of the people I've treated in those various countries and realize as bad as it gets for me, I live in a country with a great health care system, my ex is still a good friend and I have a wonderful family and caring, loyal and great friends! And I have my work which I love and my cats.

Try to change your mind by reading something or watching an uplifting movie. Overboard (anything with Goldie Hawn, really, lol) or Hootch works for me.

doggy lover
July 23rd, 2005, 12:45 PM
Thanks CK my husband came home so now I don't feel so lonely.

Prin
July 23rd, 2005, 03:55 PM
I think those days are why the movie "The Family Man" with Nic Cage is my favorite.

The part about if they had made other choices and had not gotten married and had not had kids, how would their life be like, and then they wife says, "But then I just took away everything I'm sure of."

I hope yer man has the necessary skills to cheer you up. :grouphug:

Rick C
July 23rd, 2005, 04:31 PM
Our lives are full of woulda, coulda, shoulda . . . .

James Doohan, Scottie on Star Trek, died a few days ago. This was in the wire stories . . .

When the series ended in 1969, Doohan found himself typecast as Montgomery Scott, the canny engineer with a burr in his voice. In 1973, he complained to his dentist, who advised him: "Jimmy, you're going to be Scotty long after you're dead. If I were you, I'd go with the flow."

"I took his advice," said Doohan, "and since then everything's been just lovely."

Lesson . . . you can lament about what might have been, finding the misery there, or you can find joy in what actually was and what is yet to come.

Stop and smell the roses . . . .

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

doggy lover
July 23rd, 2005, 05:14 PM
I wouldn't say that I regret anything I did in my life, I just regret that certain people are not with me any more to do it with me. I guess we always wonder what life would have been like if it had gone another way. My kids are growing up and will soon be leaving home, but I'll still have Tucker, I'd never want to go through the baby thing again been there and done that. I got married at 18 had my dauthter at 23 and my son at 25, no regrets there. I have my health which has been not to bad, could always be worse, have a roof over my head and my cottage. Both my husband and I have full time jobs, I don't really enjoy mine at the minute but that will too pass. I guess I'm having a blue day. I'm thankful for what I have and know that there are people in a hell of worse situations than I'm in and my heart goes out to them. You here about all these bombings in other countries, floods, starving children and so on, it doesnt' seem like we can do much to help them. But I try, everyday I try to do something nice for someone even a little thing, even just to say thankyou to a bus driver when he lets you off the bus. But there is so much hate in the world it just gets overwhelming some days. Sorry to bore all of you. But thanks for listening. :grouphug:

Prin
July 23rd, 2005, 08:07 PM
I know how something similar (if it is at all similar)- some days to wonder if there is any good in the world. When I was a teenager, my brother sold drugs from our home while my dad travelled. The characters that were at our house! Everybody around was a horrible person. Horrible. Aside from the drugs, they robbed people and were the type to steal engagement rings from the elderly. :sad:

Sometimes I used wonder if the world was made up of bad people and people who pretend they don't exist. But now, I'm miles away from that life and I'm soooo glad to pretend they don't exist. I just get really good home insurance. :)

Karin
July 23rd, 2005, 08:56 PM
I find it very easy to feel self pity, but all I have to do is look up and around...I can always find someone else worse off than I.

There are some days when I'm off that I do not go outside unless to walk Ciara. These are my private pity partys. If I did dare to go out somewhere...I would see that other person, worse off than me, it never fails.
It's okay to have that private party every once in a while, but get over it quickly. If you dwell on it you will be absorbed by it.
The only reason I am still here is to see what happens next.

CyberKitten
July 23rd, 2005, 09:08 PM
I agree with you there Karin - I am much too nosy to check out, lol

Schwinn
July 24th, 2005, 04:22 PM
I can totally relate...Cheryl was just telling me this morning how I've been unbelievably crusty the past couple of weeks. I was telling a friend how I leave the house at 6 am and get home just before 8 pm and then try to get to bed around 10 pm. Other than the hour at the gym, I can't stand the weekdays. I jokingly was telling my wife's friend that some days I'm watching the GO train pull into the station, thinking of how I wouldn't call work hell, because I can't believe hell would be that bad, and wondering if I should get on the train, or step in front of the train. When you hate what you do so bad, it's easy to lament the past. I think about how if I made different choices, I'd be in a different place. Then I realize that means I wouldn't have met Cheryl, or the most beautiful girl in the world, Gracie. Sometimes even the regrets bring you to the best place to be.

Jazz&Cricket
July 25th, 2005, 11:31 AM
I think we all have those kind of days...I keep a few sayings, poems, uplifting cartoons (Calvin and Hobbes always crack me up!!) Anyway, here's one for you...it's a bit long, but sums up things fairly well...

The secret of bouncing back.

Put a cork in an empty bottle. Fill a bucket with water, and hold the bottle down. Then let it go.
You know what happens, of course. However hard you press on the bottle, and however long you hold it down, the moment you release it, up it comes.
It's a bit like life. Worries and griefs and trials tend to press us down, even to overwhelm us.
But if we try to keep a strong faith and a gallant spirit, if we have inner bouyancy - as every tightly corked bottle has---nothing can keep us down for long.
In spite of everything, up we bob again, smiling, cheery, believing in the best, doing our best, and enjoying life even though it isn't what we migh choose.
So don't give up too easily. Remember the bottle.

Schwinn
July 25th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Remember the bottle.

Actually, I think that was responsible for a lot of my problems when I was in university...

Jazz&Cricket
July 25th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Hmmm,...never really thought about HOW the bottle got emptied in the first place :)