Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat is losing weight rapidly

Donita
July 23rd, 2005, 11:14 AM
I took my cat, Franklin to the vet 6 months ago because he was losing weight, he was prescribed Methimazole twice a day for hyperthyroidism. He has lost more weight and now is a walking skeleton. He eats several times a day but small amounts and his toilet habits are normal, no vomiting or diarrhea. He is 13 years old. I took him back to the vet this week and now his WBC is elevated and his RBC count is down and he is anemic. His thyroid tested normal. I fear that he is on his way out and being that his weight is down from 16 lbs to 5 I am not sure if he has cancer or kidney failure. His liver is fine so at least the medication didn't cause the decline. I guess I am looking for answers because I am not sure where to go from here. The vets advice was to just enjoy my pet and when that changes for either one of us than it is time for euthanization.

doggy lover
July 23rd, 2005, 11:23 AM
It is sad when our pets get old or are sick and we are faced with this decision, but you will dnow when it is time. I had to pts my dog last year due to cancer, I would have never wanted him to suffer he was our friend for 9 and half years and is sadly missed but I know it was for him that I did it. How about taking your cat to another vet for a second opinion, just for your peace of mind? My thoughts are with you.

justncase
July 23rd, 2005, 11:32 PM
I came across information on something like that but it was long .I tried to pick out pieces as a post but it ended up being all out of context so that didn't work out. . I tried to pm you but couldn't. You don't accept private messages. Do you have an email address I could send it to?

justncase
July 23rd, 2005, 11:33 PM
Whoops! Forgot to add that you can pm me re the email address.

Donita
July 24th, 2005, 12:48 AM
I'm sorry but I am not allowed yet to use private message so I can't reply to your request for an email address. I do thank you for doing some research. Sometimes you can post a link but that is all I can think of. My husband caught a lot of saltwater cod today. So Franklin had a feast, well at least a small one, he doesn't eat like he used to.

justncase
July 24th, 2005, 03:49 AM
There must be a policy change because I've always been able to pm every since I first joined this site over a year ago.Donita, since you can't pm me and I can't pm you I've created a special email address for you to reach me, you and any other newbies who are denied access to what might be crucial information concerning the welfare of your pet because it's too long to be posted adequately in a public format. Please contact me at: and give me your email address if you still want the info.

chico2
July 24th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Donita,something is obviously seriously wrong with your cat and I would definetly get a second opinion.
Do not assume because he's 13yrs old(not OLD for a cat)he is on his way out...it seems your current vet has no answers,expecting him to have to be PTS...find another vet for your kitty,please..

justncase
July 24th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Well, Donita , I'd sure like to get this info to you but it looks like I can't pm you because you're a newbie(rule change I guess, used to be able to do it before) and you can't pm me because you're a newbie and I can't post you an email address to reach me either. Furthermore, it's contingent upon your posting alot before either of us are able to pm each other. Meanwhile, I wait at one end, and you and your cat wait at the other. I hope you're in a talkative mood.

Avalon
July 24th, 2005, 02:01 PM
An announcement regarding this change will be posted later today.

White Wolf
July 24th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Justncase, can you post it here, regardless of the length? It might prove helpful to others as well.

Prin
July 24th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Oooh! Please post it. I'm so curious now. :o

And it looks like Marko posted the announcement already. :)

justncase
July 24th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Okay, members, this info isn't a " magic bullet" or anything. It's got to do with diet- things, I've read other members post at different times - so I think you've read it all before.Things like "feed small amounts" and make sure the food is easily digestible and really nutritious , and maybe look into raw foods like some pureed chicken( no bones, skin or fat) .I'm sure you've read it all before but so much of it has to do with a " play-it-by-ear approach. If the cat won't eat then try to tempt with warming the food , or pureeing it so it's easier to eat. If the cat won't eat, maybe you're not feeding the right thing- try canned, try dry, try raw, try cutting it up into small pieces, try warming it. Stuff like that. I'm sure you've heard it all before and could , from your experience, probably even add to it or surpass it.

justncase
July 30th, 2005, 12:48 AM
Donita, please update us as to how your cat, Franklin, is . We haven't heard from you in awhile.

Donita
July 30th, 2005, 10:21 AM
I just wanted you to know that Franklin, our cat passed away on Tuesday evening. I was fixing him some strained lamb (baby food) because it was difficult for him to eat. He had started going in to our bedroom which was unusual because we weren't there; he was always whereever we were and always was the last family I saw when I drove away and the first to be seen when I returned. I found him gone when I came into my room, I know he didn't suffer because he had dislocated his knee once and he always let me know when he needed something for the pain. He was a very vocal cat and the silence is astounding. I have another dog and cat so I am not alone but
life is certainly different without the one who was the closest and most loving.

doggy lover
July 30th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Sorry to hear that he passed away, my thoughts are with you.

justncase
July 30th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Donita, sorry to hear about your loss. I've pm'd you- which I finally, now can do.