Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Donating Blood

BeagleMum
July 23rd, 2005, 10:57 AM
Just wondering how many people have or do donate blood.

Rottielover
July 23rd, 2005, 11:15 AM
I have always wanted to, but I am very anemic, and they will not allow it

doggy lover
July 23rd, 2005, 11:18 AM
I was in England during one of their mad cow scares years ago and someone told me that I can't donate blood, I guess really I should find out. A friend of mine has hep C due to a blood transfusion years ago so the whole thought of getting blood scares me.

CyberKitten
July 23rd, 2005, 01:17 PM
You forgot to include a selection that includes people who would like to donate but cannot. I am in that category. You have to remember that people who weigh less than 110 lbs in Canada are ineligible (cannot recall the US - it ised to be 100 lbs but I know they increased it I think?). Also, people who have had hepatitis or HIV or some other illnesses are exempt obviously. And some people just have really bad veins. I do not weigh enough and my veins - from so much medical poking - are pretty much useless!

That said, this AM I had to try to insert an IV in a crying toddler with veins almost as bad as mine and 3 X as small. NOT fun!!!

raingirl
July 23rd, 2005, 02:21 PM
I donated a couple of times, but then I kept being "disallowed" because of either medications I was on (birth control pills or asthma medication), piercings, tattos, anemia, soI just gave up even trying.

They need to make the screening process faster. If it only took me five minutes to find out if I can donate or not, I would try again, but right now it takes about an hour just to get to the pre-test stage (where they poke your finger) to see if you can or not.

BeagleMum
July 23rd, 2005, 03:15 PM
ok so I forgot to include the option for deferred people. OOPS.

As for birth control and asthma pumps, you can donate if you use those, I do. As for piercings and tatoos, the waiting period is 1 year. I don't really know all of the rules but I know these ones.

I just always wondered if people were aware of the need for blood. I find it crazy that only 5% of Canadians actually donate.

I think that it may have to do with the trust factor and the whole Red Cross scandal years back.

As for the screening period, I am glad it takes so long. Tht is only for your own safety as a recipient. How would you really feel if you knew that just anyone could walk in there and give blood without question. That would scare me if I ever had to receive it.

As for right now, I trust the canadian system and the safety of our blood program.

chico2
July 23rd, 2005, 03:20 PM
Well.I still do not trust the system,no excuse not to donate blood mind you,my son had open heart surgery in 1974 and 1984 at Sick Kids,we went through some scary weeks finding out whether he was HIV positive or not,luckily he was fine.

CyberKitten
July 23rd, 2005, 03:52 PM
I would if I could - and I was not being critical Grover, just pointing out that your poll was not mutually exclusive or exhaustive. Just don't shoot me! :D

As a phsyician, I trust the system tho I understand why some do not. I've encountered very few probs tho I have to admit I have treated kids with HIV who aquired it you know where! From blood transfusions. But they are older and it is pretty much in the past!

I also like to know the system is secure! We do have a pretty good system. When I was doing my Residency in Boston - children (or their parent's insurance plan - and this predates evil HMO's) - had to pay $100 for a transfusion. It's more now - add all the celrical work and inflation I guess.

The medical system has also become much better at dealing with pregnant moms who might potentially deliver HIV babies and with new innovations, there is no need for an HIV mom to have a baby also infected!

mafiaprincess
July 23rd, 2005, 04:20 PM
I can't either. I seem to generally get a piercing or do a ritual event or whatever that involves needles so the year waiting period never ends.

Kariia
July 23rd, 2005, 04:21 PM
I do. Thankfully I'm JUST above the minimum weight. (I'm 113 lbs)

I donate every year..

CyberKitten
July 23rd, 2005, 04:48 PM
We are about to go out to dinner (finally!) but I wanted to add that some ppl are now banking their own blood and of course there are new artificial products that work as well - usually in an emergent situation. This does not decrease the need for blood products but it provides people with an alternative if they still are insecure about the blood system - and some ppl still are, many of them with good reason. (sighed as only a hematologist can!)

Prin
July 23rd, 2005, 04:49 PM
I was in England during one of their mad cow scares years ago and someone told me that I can't donate blood, I guess really I should find out.
I can't give blood because I ate a hamburger during that era in England... My dad went to give once and he got turned away for that. It said "Did you go to the UK during this time period?" on the form, so he says. But even if I could, I doubt I would. When they take 3 vials out of me I feel the effects pretty hard, so I can't imagine giving a pint!! I'll just give them my organs when I won't feel the pain... :)

My bf does it every year though. That's just another reason why I love him. :)

chico2
July 23rd, 2005, 04:57 PM
In Sweden and many other European countries you get a token amount for donating blood,needless to say,there is never any shortage of donors.
When I first came to Canada I was surprised at all the volonteers everywhere,hospitals,schools,blood-donors,foodbanks etc...it proves to me Canadians are pretty darn good generous people :thumbs up

Rick C
July 23rd, 2005, 05:02 PM
I donate every few months.

I have a rare blood type, B Positive.

Its quite the weight loss program. I've gone running for 10 km and then given blood right after and the combination is good for about three or four pounds!!! :eek: :fingerscr

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
July 23rd, 2005, 05:13 PM
There's no "side-order" of Heart Attack with that, Rick? Seems a bit scary...

BeagleMum
July 23rd, 2005, 05:14 PM
I donate every 56 days or so (minimum length of time between donations), every time a clinic is held at my work. I am now aware of the extraordinary need for blood and I want to help any way that I can. If I could donate it to give to sick animals I would do that too but I don't think it is possible. Maybe one day...

BeagleMum
July 23rd, 2005, 05:16 PM
There's no "side-order" of Heart Attack with that, Rick? Seems a bit scary...
I think that it is ok if he goes running before but needs to take it easy for 6 to 8 hours after. What I don't think is that donating blood will make you lose any weight. That would probably be all in your head, sorry to say. You would probably gain the weight back right after when you eat your cookies or donuts. : :)

BeagleMum
July 23rd, 2005, 07:08 PM
I would if I could - and I was not being critical Grover, just pointing out that your poll was not mutually exclusive or exhaustive. Just don't shoot me! :D

I forgot, I must have worded things wrong because I didn't mean to be rude. All I meant was yes I agree, I forgot the option of being deferred. Sorry if you thought I was attacking, really didn't mean to. ;)

Jackie467
July 23rd, 2005, 07:53 PM
I would like to donate but I'm very anemic, and have a desease that doesn't allow it. I try to help by volenteering to help take the names and everything when people go to the drives. And now that I'm going to school to become an MLT (medical laboratory technician) I'll actully be taking and analyzing blood so I'll be certified to volenteer my time to actully draw the blood.

LL1
July 23rd, 2005, 07:59 PM
I give blood,never had a problem other than if I have a cig too quickly after I may get dizzy.The people are great and the juice and cookies are nice lol.My boss gives I think apheresis?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 23rd, 2005, 08:50 PM
I have a rare blood type too. RH positive, I know I had to have a shot when I was pregnant is that the same as B positve. I should give blood. I dont really have an excuse not to.

Karin
July 23rd, 2005, 10:06 PM
I cannot donate. I have been positive TB since 1978, I did go through the INH treatment for one year but once positive always positive. Now with a cancer history donating blood is always a no go.

I am however very grateful to those who's donated blood saved my life way back in 1981.

I would give if I could.

glasslass
July 24th, 2005, 12:09 AM
I donate every year at work also. We have an employee blood bank/fund that covers the blood needs of our immediate families should they require it, if we've donated into it. I also donate 1 vacation day each year into a similar employee emergency "bank". If a fellow employee has a health problem that eats up their available sick leave and vacation, they can benefit by receiving additional paid time that has been donated by fellow employees. I hope I never have the need to draw from either of these programs!

I'm a wuss! Whenever I donate blood, I have to do it laying down with a fan blowing on me. Otherwise, I pass out! It's all in my head, although I'm not afraid of the process.

Prin
July 24th, 2005, 01:40 AM
OMG- I just realized- in the States, if you need a blood transfusion, you have to pay for it?

(spoiled Canadian with medicare here ;) )

CyberKitten
July 24th, 2005, 04:06 AM
glassglass, you are no wuss - you are being generous top do something you find difficult in order to help others! That takes courage!

I know Prin. I underwent several surgeries in the US as a teenager and later when I was a univ student in Boston - some $150,000 plus later (and that was AFTER Medicare and my insurance paid their share). The transfusions were on the bill - $100 each (I had many) and that was awhile ago. They are costlier now!!

Mockingcat
July 24th, 2005, 07:36 AM
I'm very upset with the blood donation policies around here. Long story short, my boyfriend is bisexual, and they refused his blood on that grounds, because of the possibility of "AIDS". *sigh* I was very upset by that, and will not go back until they change their policies.

Lissa
July 24th, 2005, 09:34 AM
I've never donated blood, although if I thought that they would let me I would definately do it! Perhaps in the future my situation will change and they will be quite happy to have my blood.
My grand-mother used to donate all the time until they realized she had lived in England until her 30s!!! Oops! So now, nobody in my family gives blood but I have no problem doing it whenever they deem its safe. But the "horror" stories about the hour long wait each time is not encouraging!

Stewart
July 24th, 2005, 10:01 AM
I donate blood 3 times a year and only last Wednesday gave my 69th pint over here in the UK we do have very stringent checks performed on our donations and also have to fill out a long questionaire before every donation checking for CJD and HIV also hepatitus and other things but its all well worth it to know that you might actually be helping save lives ! ;)

LL1
July 24th, 2005, 10:25 AM
I think even when they wont use your blood for people they will use it for research,so they will still take it.

Rick C
July 24th, 2005, 10:50 AM
I think that it is ok if he goes running before but needs to take it easy for 6 to 8 hours after. What I don't think is that donating blood will make you lose any weight. That would probably be all in your head, sorry to say. You would probably gain the weight back right after when you eat your cookies or donuts. : :)

A blood donation is worth about one to 1.5 pounds, even after a drink and a sandwich afterwards.

I've done the run/donation thing a few times, mostly because I'm sitting in my office at three and panting to go for a run but looking at my calendar and seeing a blood donation later in the day and knowing I won't be able to run for a few days afterwards. So I take off, go for a run, go to the donor clinic and give blood.

I make sure I tell the nurses what I've been up to before I donate though. They don't seem bothered by it.

I'll lose about 1.5 pounds to 2 pounds on a run. So the combination is between three and four pounds.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

CyberKitten
July 24th, 2005, 12:09 PM
think even when they wont use your blood for people they will use it for research,so they will still take it.

:eek: What??????? We need all the blood we can get to help sick people - I NEVER use blood for research and am a little concerned that thinking is out there. Where did that come from?

LL1
July 24th, 2005, 12:12 PM
They tell you that when you give blood,that they may use it for research if it is not suitable for donating.

Dogastrophe
July 24th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Poll needs a "would like to but medically unable" option. I had a hole repaired in my heart when I was 6-mos old, have been active (my mother would have said too active) ever since, but am not able to donate. I even received a letter once from my family doctor which stated that I have no lingering problems which would prevent me from donating but they still will not allow it. :mad:

Schwinn
July 24th, 2005, 05:13 PM
I don't think there is any risk for disease or anything to anyone donating. It's those receiving that would have to worry (if there was a worry).

I can't donate (of course, how would you feel if you found out you had a quart of Grade "A" Schwinn in you? :D) , and Cheryl used to but apparently can't because she is nursing. I do remember one time during blood tests they took out so many viles that I was worried I'd cut myself shaving and nothing but air would come out. They were a little horrified when they found out I was on my way to the gym as soon as they wer0e finished.

CyberKitten
July 24th, 2005, 07:59 PM
General anesthesia would be too serious for just giving blood - it is too minor a procedure for that. Maybe one day we will be able to zap it out with a laser and the patient feels nothing! :)

As for research, the amt used for that is so minute by comparison that it's no excuse not to donate. Whoever told you that is making it seem more significant than it is.

StaceyB
July 24th, 2005, 08:07 PM
I used to give blood back in high school. I can no longer give because of asthma though nobody can find my veins anyway. I had to go to the hospital yesterday because my feet swelled up like balloons. They needed to do a bunch of tests including blood. I had three different nurses go fishing three different times looking for veins. What a waste of an entire day, 7 hrs to find out it was probably the heat.

LL1
July 24th, 2005, 08:08 PM
I don't think you read my posts correctly.Please re-read them.You can still donate even if your blood is not going to be used for people,because they will still use it,but for research purposes.So yes,no reason to not donate it.

First you say it is not true,now you say whoever told me that was making it seem more significant.I am guessing that since you have posted you are unable to give blood,you are unaware and not believing my post where I said the Red cross volunteers will tell you when you donate that even if your blood is not acceptable they will still use it,but for research only.If you call the Red Cross offices they will tell you that as well.

As for research, the amt used for that is so minute by comparison that it's no excuse not to donate. Whoever told you that is making it seem more significant than it is.

StaceyB
July 24th, 2005, 11:20 PM
A blood donation is worth about one to 1.5 pounds
I'll lose about 1.5 pounds to 2 pounds on a run. So the combination is between three and four pounds.

I thought the whole reason we can give blood is because it replenishes itself quite quickly, so if you lost any weight at all it would be regained in no time.
I wish I could lose that much on a run.

melanie
July 25th, 2005, 02:10 AM
my mothers blood type is very rare, apparently not many ppl in autralia havei t (she had transfusion after transfusion as a child, i dont know if this has any effect) anyway hers is so rare she has to bank her own whenever she goes to hospital (which is often)...

two weeks ago they had a national call out for donors, apparently we had enough blood in reserves to last a whole 3 days, apparently lots of donors showed up but still not enough (thats reassuring :eek: )... the experts are saying its not that aussies dont want to donate, they jsut forget really and we often need a reminder, im terrified of needles and am under 110pound so i suppose that counts me out.

and hey if thwey want to experiment on my blood, well the3y can go for it really i dont care its only blood and DNA is not that good to clone me so im not too worried... :D

Rick C
July 25th, 2005, 09:02 AM
I thought the whole reason we can give blood is because it replenishes itself quite quickly, so if you lost any weight at all it would be regained in no time.
I wish I could lose that much on a run.

I'm being somewhat facetious . . . . you gain the weight back in about a week I find.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
July 25th, 2005, 01:53 PM
I find that having the flu is the best way to lose weight... :D But I'd rather be chubby. :D

kandy
July 25th, 2005, 02:02 PM
I've never given blood and the prospect frankly scares me! I have really, really bad veins so I know that I would end up with bruises the size of watermelons and they'd be lucky to ever get the stupid needle in me! Every time I've had blood drawn in my life, or had to have an IV for something, it has taken at least 4 tries to get a needle in my veins. By the time they get it done, I am in serious pain and bawling! Sorry, but I'm not going to subject myself to that. :o

Rick C
July 25th, 2005, 08:30 PM
I find that having the flu is the best way to lose weight... :D But I'd rather be chubby. :D

I agree with that. The flu is good for about five or more pounds given I'm a thoroughly miserable human being to be around when I'm sick and don't eat much nor sleep much.

Fortunately, that happens only once in a blue moon (knock on wood!!).

Food poisoning, "the non-fatal just puke your guts up for few days" kind, is pretty good too. That cost me 10 pounds once in a period of only three days.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Schwinn
July 26th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Food poisoning, "the non-fatal just puke your guts up for few days" kind, is pretty good too. That cost me 10 pounds once in a period of only three days.

Ah yes, the Raw Chicken Diet.

Prin
July 26th, 2005, 01:18 PM
The Rawtkins Diet... :D

Schwinn
July 26th, 2005, 05:18 PM
The Rawtkins Diet... :D

That made me gafaw out-loud! Well played!

pags
July 26th, 2005, 05:33 PM
I can't really vote because I would donate if I could... but usually I am either pregnant or have recently been pregnant these days.. So it has been a long time since I've given blood.

In the meantime I noticed somebody mentioned IVs. I'm as phobic about IVs as I am about cockroaches!!! ACK. Having my blood drawn is no problem -- relatively painless - relatively quick.. But IVs.. ARGH. I'll have one coming up when I deliver this baby and let me tell you I dread the IV more than I dread labor. MUCH MORE. The nurses tell me my veins 'roll' and they can't insert the needle... Last baby it took five tries in the top of my left hand before the nurse left and a new one came in to try.. She tried four times in my right hand until I told her as sweetly as I could through the tears that if she couldn't get it the next time I was going to become dangerous. :eek:

doggy lover
July 26th, 2005, 06:23 PM
I never had an IV with my son, he came too fast and I promised my doctor to drink alot of fluids so I didn't have to get one. :D

jjgeonerd
July 26th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Ah yes, the Raw Chicken Diet.

Funny! I have 2 friends (a couple) that both got Giardia the last time they went camping...water filter failed. They joked they were going to write a book called "The Giardia Diet"! :D

That's why I drink beer when I camp. :D

Back on topic...I donate when they have donation days in my wife's building. I'm also listed as an organ donor.

Puppyluv
July 26th, 2005, 07:28 PM
None of the above- I lived in France in 1989-1990, and thus fall into the mad cow category. Wish I could though....

Rita
July 27th, 2005, 09:55 AM
I used to donate regularly ... 3 or 4 times a year. I haven't given in quite a while ... I don't like their new system of having to make an appointment :rolleyes: I liked it when we could just walk in anytime and give. Anyways, I've had a couple of tattoos done earlier this year so that makes me uneligible (sp?) for a year.
If I was eligible I would go right now ... my 19yo nephew had to have a blood transfusion yesterday and that just really brought the need to give close to home.
I would like to encourage anybody that is willing/able/eligible to give blood. :thumbs up It's really not all that painful and the staff at the donor centers are usually fantastic. If you're not sure whether or not you are eligible you can check the Canadian Blood Services site www.bloodservices.ca under "CAN I DONATE?" in the left had column.

Schwinn
July 27th, 2005, 10:09 AM
In the meantime I noticed somebody mentioned IVs. I'm as phobic about IVs as I am about cockroaches!!! ACK. Having my blood drawn is no problem -- relatively painless - relatively quick.. But IVs.. ARGH. I'll have one coming up when I deliver this baby and let me tell you I dread the IV more than I dread labor. MUCH MORE. The nurses tell me my veins 'roll' and they can't insert the needle... Last baby it took five tries in the top of my left hand before the nurse left and a new one came in to try.. She tried four times in my right hand until I told her as sweetly as I could through the tears that if she couldn't get it the next time I was going to become dangerous. :eek:

My wife was the exact same way. I lost track of the number of times they poked her, and then when they did get it started, they didn't get it in properly and it came out and blew up her hand like a cartoon glove. (After poking it a few times, I had to go get a nurse). I felt so bad for her. She was perforated by the time she was finished. I was afraid of her looking like Daffy Duck getting shot whenever she had a drink of water.

SpanielLuver
July 27th, 2005, 12:51 PM
I also tried to donate blood at the blood drive we have at work every year, but being from England and spending a month during the '80s means I was rejected. Pretty demoralizing being reject but I wasnt the only one, a few others from Europe were also rejected. This apparently is a life-time ban. Too bad. My dad gave blood for most of his life, I would have like to carry on the tradition.

kandy
July 27th, 2005, 04:09 PM

I can vouch for that one. Lost almost 8 lbs once from food poisoning. Driving over 400 miles with hourly puke breaks is not fun. I think hubby was seriously tempted to leave me by the side of the road. Haven't eaten a hard boiled egg since then - and its been over 4 years. :yuck:

As far as the IV thingy goes - while in labor, I tore mine out after they told my hubby to go home (long story). Apparently in my attempt to express my displeasure I clenched my fist too tight and it popped out. Although IV's are normally a very traumatic experience for me, I honestly don't remember them putting that one back in. Maybe I was distracted by the woman with hulk sized hands checking my dilation progress! :eek:

dogmelissa
August 3rd, 2005, 11:51 PM
I donated blood twice; once in University and once the day before I got my first tattoo. Actually, to be fair, I donated a time and a half, cause the second time, they managed to move the needle while trying to tape it down and it did something to the vein and the blood stopped flowing almost completely. They wiggled it around in there for another 5 minutes or so, but they couldn't get it to go again, so they relieved me. Unfortunately, because I'm a little squeamish about needles (not scared, just get queasy when I see them sticking out of my body or feel them in me), I got really queasy and then dizzy and had to stay at the clinic on the couch with 2 worried nurses checking on me for an additional hour. THAT was not fun. That was September, and since then I got a tattoo and also a piercing, so I'm ineligible until at least next January, assuming that I don't get any more body modifications. I will go again, but I will make sure that they take the blood out of my LEFT arm--trying to drive a standard transmission with a pierced arm is really quite horrible.

One thing of note to people who are afraid of blood transfusions is that if you are going in for an elective surgery or something that is planned in advance, you can sometimes donate blood to yourself. Obviously if it's an emergency, you don't have that time. I'd rather have hepatitis C than die from lack of blood, though, so I know that in an emergency I would allow them to give me someone else's blood.

For the self-donations, they do all the same screening tests and put the blood through the same procedures as if it was going into the blood bank, but then they just hang on to it for you. My dad had his hip replaced 2 years ago and he donated 2 units of blood in advance for use in the surgery. They only needed one, so after he was awake, they put the other one in the blood bank. When you donate for self-surgery, they don't make you wait the 56 days. Your body can replenish itself much quicker than that, and they like it to be fresh, so I think my dad donated his 2 units a week apart and the last one 3 weeks before surgery (they wanted to make sure he was replenished for the surgery). It's an option for some; talk to you doctor!!

I don't believe that birth control pills make you ineligible; I've been on them for years and they never turned me down. Check the link that Rita posted!!

Later,
Melissa

Rick C
August 4th, 2005, 12:20 AM
I can vouch for that one. Lost almost 8 lbs once from food poisoning. Driving over 400 miles with hourly puke breaks is not fun. :

At least you made it out of the vehicle . . . . I didn't!!! Damned roll-down windows!!

It took a lot of phoning before I found a place that would clean up that mess.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca