Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vaccinating your own dog?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 23rd, 2005, 07:16 AM
Firstly I don't intend to do this but have to ask.

A woman I know said that she vaccinates her own dog. SHe buys the vaccination at the drug store and does it herself and saves money from getting to vet to do it. Is this even safe, I don't think I would want to risk it myself as anyone heard of this or done this.

BeagleMum
July 23rd, 2005, 08:07 AM
I have heard that some not so reputable breeders do this sometimes. I have never heard of a person just doing it

Wudjah
July 23rd, 2005, 09:26 AM
I vaccinate my own dogs for dhlpp (just a regular vaccination). I buy them from the shelter where I work for a fraction of the cost that the vet would charge. My dogs are at the vet several times a year anyways for various reasons so I might as well save somewhere. Not to mention I've been vaccinating dogs since I was 14 years old so I'm pretty experienced!

As well, there are some larger reputable kennels that do their own vaccinations. I've never heard of buying them from a drugstore, but packages can be purchased through a vet. My Siberian breeder had show & sled dogs so she ran a fairly large kennel and it was easier and more cost efficient for her to do the shots herself.

Rabies vaccines however have to be done by a licensed veterinarian.

Wudjah
July 23rd, 2005, 09:29 AM
I probably should have added that no, I don't think that just anyone (ie inexperienced pet owners) should be vaccinating their own dogs, and I doubt that most vets would sell a single vaccine to a pet owner. I highly doubt that drugstores sell dog/cat vaccines - at least not in my area.

Sneaky
July 23rd, 2005, 03:02 PM
Yes, for one, the Pharmasave in my parents town Duncan BC, sells all the vaccinations you need for your dog/cat/ferret/etc.
Honestly, I worked at a vet clinic for work experience, and giving vaccines is incredibly easy. Most people with some common sense would be more than capable of doing it.
Consider this- my mom in law just got her Yorkie (now possibly our dog) her shots, the shots themselves cost 65 dollars for the bunch (parvo, kennel cough, basic shots), but the bill at the end was 135 dollars. So she paid the vet $70 dollars for 15 minutes, 5 minutes of which was doing the shots.
Thats $4.60 a minute!
My vet is not as expensive as this, it cost me only 72 dollars for a check up and Muffins shots. But really, most people if shown how would be more than capable of doing shots themselves, and perhaps the vets might reconsider what a racket their practice has become.

Wudjah
July 23rd, 2005, 03:57 PM
That is really interesting - a drugstore that sells pet vaccines! I agree that they are easy, but I would at least hope that they supply instructions.

There is one thing I see wrong with some people giving their own vaccinations - the lack of a yearly check-up by a veterinarian. Some people might think that giving their dog a shot is all they need when in reality there are other reasons to go to the vet.

Prin
July 23rd, 2005, 04:12 PM
I wouldn't do it. I like to leave the invasive, very unpleasant stuff to strangers. I don't like the look my doggies give me and I don't want to be the person they associate with that stuff, more than the already do- with the ear cleanings and nail clippings...

LL1
July 23rd, 2005, 05:23 PM
I know lots of US rescues do,I would never take the risk of anaphylactic shock or anything else with one of my dogs without a vet being there.

Wudjah
July 23rd, 2005, 05:33 PM
In the 15 years of my shelter work I have never encountered a case of anaphylactic shock. I'm not saying it doesn't happen (think I read something here about someone's dog reacting to a vaccine), but even if a vet did do the shot the odds are that the dog would be out the door and possibly even home by the time anything happened. My vet always does shots at the end of the visit after the checkup.

LL1
July 23rd, 2005, 05:44 PM
The cases I have heard of happened right away.I just would not risk it.

Karin
July 23rd, 2005, 06:45 PM
I do all of Ciara's vax's and run the HW test at home also.

Jackie467
July 23rd, 2005, 07:09 PM
When my in-laws dog had puppies (please don't ask it's a long story, lets just say I did "take" the male dog without their knowledge and have him neutered, but the female is a bit more complicated and I can't figure out how to do this without them knowing, they never did find out about the male. their not very knowledgeable about dogs.) but when she had puppies I sort of helped them out. I talked them into getting the dogs vaccinated, the only way I could do this was to take them to the vet myslef and pay for it myself for 5 puppies, which is not easy for a college student who works only part time and has her own animals to pay for. I told the vet about my situation so she told me of a place she could order the vaccines for me and I could do them myslef. Since my stepdad was a reputable breeder he taught me how to safely vaccinate them myself and the vet gave me the vaccines and I did it my self. The vet just gave them a check up and the first set of shots (these kind were the set of three) and dewormed them. I could never have afforded to take all 5 pups back 3 times to have them vaccinated so this really helped.

Just so everyone knows I did help find all puppies good homes and made up a contract that they must be spayed/nuetered (and I did recive vet reports that all five were done, and called and spoke with the vets themselves) and that if at any point they no longer want the dog that it will be retured to me. I have no idea how I would handle that because I live with my mom, but if one or all should be returned I will figure something out.

Prin
July 23rd, 2005, 07:49 PM
Jackie, you've got a great vet and it was great that you had your step-dad there to help. And you're wonderful for taking care of your parents' doggies. :) :highfive:

twinmommy
July 23rd, 2005, 10:22 PM
I should probably start a new thread for this, as it's a bit of a tangent.

Does anyone believe that after ,let's say, 4-5 years that your pet doesn't need any more vaccines (except for rabies) and that doing titers would actually show that there is still plenty of the last set of vaccs and thus the proper antegens in place?

Just MO :) what do you guys think?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 23rd, 2005, 10:25 PM
I thought that dogs needed shots every year or I know some are every three years. Can't they still catch stuff after 4 years of age. I haven't heard this, but then again I don't know a lot about vaccines except that our furry friends need them. ;)

twinmommy
July 23rd, 2005, 10:28 PM
some rabies shots are good for three years....

Prin
July 23rd, 2005, 10:36 PM
I should probably start a new thread for this, as it's a bit of a tangent.

Does anyone believe that after ,let's say, 4-5 years that your pet doesn't need any more vaccines (except for rabies) and that doing titers would actually show that there is still plenty of the last set of vaccs and thus the proper antegens in place?

Just MO :) what do you guys think?
I'm going to wait till more research comes out. Some people have already started giving fewer to no vaccines, and we'll see if the rate of certain diseases goes up in the next 10 or so years.

I think we do over-vaccinate, but I'm not going to stop until we know exactly for sure how much we are over-vaccinating.

My doggies get the three year rabies vaccine. They got it last in 2003.

mafiaprincess
July 23rd, 2005, 10:43 PM
It's area dependant if you give rabies every 1,2,3 years.. If the incidence of rabies decreses, more areas embrace a once every three year vaccine. If the numbers ever go back up for rabbies cases in that area, it goes back to an every year or every other vaccine.

When Cider is a few years old, I'll start doing titters and only revaccinate if certain anti bodies show low. Most of the breeders I know titer yearly rather than revaccinate just cause you can.

Generally you still need a vet to give a rabbies vaccination. But I never knew you could get single doses of other shots... It's easier if you breed to be doing 12 puppies or whatever in your home, never knew viles of vaccines came in lower numbers.

But, most likely it would still be cheaper in numbers greater than one or two. I was always told it wasn't cost effective, although it's interesting to hear otherwise.

LL1
July 23rd, 2005, 10:53 PM
If you read the research you will see it is not needed annually.Its not rabies shots that are the main issue it is the combo shots.
I thought that dogs needed shots every year or I know some are every three years. Can't they still catch stuff after 4 years of age. I haven't heard this, but then again I don't know a lot about vaccines except that our furry friends need them. ;)