Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Yes, ANOTHER question

lisaann1226
July 22nd, 2005, 09:06 PM
Sorry for all the questions, this place is my new found glory for info on my cats :)

Our cats are constantly scratching our couch and our window screen. We have a scratching post, but they don't use it. Is there something (a scent) that I can spray on the screen and our couch to deter them from scratching it to shreds?

StaceyB
July 22nd, 2005, 09:09 PM
Rub or spray cat nip on the item you want used and get a deterent spray for the areas you don't want them near.

MomOfDiva&Simon
July 22nd, 2005, 09:11 PM
Hi There and welcome to the board! :highfive: I am new here as well.

I have a kitty that LOVES to scratch everything. I bought some stuff called SMART GROOM Scratch Deterrent Spray. It is approx. $6.00 and I have used it and it works extremely well on furniture, screens, and everything in between. Although, I have gone out and bought the thicker kitty claw resistent type screens. They are a bit more expensive, but they work. I got that stuff at Home Hardware.

Follow the directions on the spray bottle. What I did is a spot test on the furniture to make sure nothing happened to it. If you are still unsure, I have sprayed a cloth first and then rubbed it on my furniture. Hope it helps! :)

TRICIA81
July 23rd, 2005, 01:00 PM
This May Sound Odd But Instead Of Buying All New Screens And Spraying Your Furiniture I Have Two Cats That Loved To Scratch Everything Also. All I Did Instead Of Yelling At Them Was Get A Spray Bottle With Water. Everytime They Would Go To Scratch N E Thing I Would Spray Them. I Guess They Learned Their Lesson Cause They Don't Scratch Anymore.

glasslass
July 23rd, 2005, 11:32 PM
Another solution may be to just trim your cats claws. I did this all the time with my cat and she was used to it and didn't mind. Just clip the end of the nail where it kind of hooks. She would let me know when she needed it by scratching on something near me. After trimming, she didn't scratch. She could still climb, etc.

CyberKitten
July 24th, 2005, 03:10 AM
My cats have several scratching posts which they use dutifully - I did not even have to add catnip! But I also trim nails once a week and they are rewarded for good behaviour! I do not use a water bottle because they see it's me and that's just useless. If they could not see me and I did it 5 secs after it happened, it would be OK but that's impossible so I am not a believer in the water bottle stuff. They just learn not to do it when you are not there. Cats are too smart!!!

Just keep diverting them to a scratching post and reward them with treats for doin gthe right thing!! Give them lots of attention and love and play with them when they use their post. Add catnip if you have to.