Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Okay, call me naieve...

lisaann1226
July 22nd, 2005, 08:58 PM
But what are puppymills ??? I've heard the term before but don't understand it. Why is it bad to buy an animal from a pet store? One of the pet stores here (Petcetera) gets their animals directly from the Humane Society; they are in partner ship with them, and Petland told me once that they take animals who are donated or are found on the street... Why is it bad to buy from a place like that?

StaceyB
July 22nd, 2005, 09:06 PM
The puppy mills that you heard about are NOT rescue organizations. They are a business that has puppies bred of all kinds of breeds/ mixes to sell in pet stores. They are unlike a good breeder that is concerned with keeping and improving the quality of lines. All they look at is the cash. The care taken with puppies in these places is also usually quite poor.

the gang
July 22nd, 2005, 09:07 PM
i would never ever buy a animal from pet land, my min pin was $600.00 it was 200.00 a lb lol the poor little guy came with a lot of probelms, this was the second dog i bought not fun never do it again brenda.

mafiaprincess
July 22nd, 2005, 09:09 PM
This has been posted here by other members before, and while very sad, it is quite informative, so I saved its url.

http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/Prefs.asp?video=charlize-theron-pupply-mill

MIA
July 22nd, 2005, 11:43 PM
Here's a great site:

www.nopuppymillscanada.ca

mona_b
July 23rd, 2005, 12:14 AM
One of the pet stores here (Petcetera) gets their animals directly from the Humane Society; they are in partner ship with them

This is different.Petcetera does not sell pupppies.At least mine doesn't.So yes they are partnered with the SPCA(here).They bring the dogs/cats there for their adoption program.All animals are s/n,vet checked,needled,chipped and licenced BEFORE they got to their newly adopted homes. :)

and Petland told me once that they take animals who are donated or are found on the street.

Not even close to being the truth.These ones come from puppy mills/BYB.They are not donated,nor are they found on the street.

Prin
July 23rd, 2005, 12:22 AM
But what are puppymills ??? I've heard the term before but don't understand it. Why is it bad to buy an animal from a pet store? One of the pet stores here (Petcetera) gets their animals directly from the Humane Society; they are in partner ship with them, and Petland told me once that they take animals who are donated or are found on the street... Why is it bad to buy from a place like that?
Nobody seems to have defined it for you. A puppy mill is a puppy factory. Dogs are piled in tiny cages, get pregnant as often as possible, and just pump out the puppies. They are covered in feces. They are totally unhealthy. The people who run these places are in it solely for the profit of it. It's horrible.

Pet stores buy their puppies from puppy mills because they are cheaper. They falsify the papers and don't tell you exactly who the breeder was.

Some petstores in Ontario, I have heard, adopt out rescue dogs. That's fine. That's great. But the ones who just sell "fresh" puppies don't screen the potential owners and most of the dogs end up sick, or abandoned.

Good breeders will make you wait for your dog. Pet stores will let you leave with it on a whim. So many people buy a dog they can't afford or can't fit in their lives, just because they popped into a pet store and thought a little puppy was cute or felt sorry for it. And most pet stores don't follow up either, so the new owners don't have to spay/neuter, so they can make even more unhealthy puppies!

Does that answer your question?