Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is this a gimmick?

Prin
July 22nd, 2005, 01:10 PM
http://www.lentek.com/Main/Main.asp?CategoryID=8&SubCategoryID=31&ContentID=19&
My dad sent me this and asked me if it was a good idea. My step-sister is fostering a dog that barks endlessly when they are not home... Any thoughts?

nymph
July 22nd, 2005, 01:16 PM
yeah looks like it.

I'm still waiting for a company to come up with a speaker that blasts out soundwaves that would "cancel out" unwanted noise. LOL

SarahLynn123
July 22nd, 2005, 01:23 PM
would it pick up other dogs barks aswell? like neighbour dogs? Can it tell between the foster dog and all the other dogs in the neighbour hood? If dogs can hear it and humans cant and this machine malfunctions and doesn't turn off how would you know?

Those are some of the questions I would get answers for before I got anything like that. You dont want the foster dog to pay for other dogs bad behavior!

Prin
July 22nd, 2005, 01:25 PM
LOL but if humans can't hear it, how do you know it's working at all? I think I'll make one of these... Just a few screws and pieces of metal. "Well, you can't hear it, sir, that's the point." :evil: :D

kandy
July 22nd, 2005, 04:20 PM
What if the signal could be picked up by hearing aids or something? :eek: J/K

Seriously, everything I've read says that no device will keep a dog from barking. You're better off working with the dog to get them to understand when it's okay to bark and when its not - but through respect for you, not a device. And this one does sound like any neighboring or passing dog could set it off.

doggy lover
July 22nd, 2005, 04:28 PM
I have my doubts on it working.

Sneaky
July 22nd, 2005, 04:36 PM
My dog used to bark, she picked it up from my
mom in laws terrier who barked incessantly. Like i mean
he would bark for 6 hours straight without taking a breath,
they never even told him to stop!
Anyway after they got Muffin, she was very quiet, but
learned to bark after 6 months living with Blacky.
We bought her one of those collar antibark things,
that sends off a sharp squeal when they bark.
It didnt work worth a bean for her, and we tried it on
her new puppy Maggie, a yorkie terrier, and all it did was
make her bark more.
I suspect it is just a gimmick. The only way to stop your dog
from barking is sit nearby with a water pistol and a spray in the face
at every bark will eventually deter them.
For my Chi Muffin, I taught her to go growl instead of barking
at strange sounds, and now she only barks 2 times: once to be let out, and once to be let in, a single "Yip".
:D

Prin
July 22nd, 2005, 05:04 PM
The only way to stop your dog
from barking is sit nearby with a water pistol and a spray in the face
at every bark will eventually deter them.
I don't think that'll be a very popular training method on this board... :D I think most people like the distraction method better. ;)

Sneaky
July 23rd, 2005, 01:58 AM
what do you mean by "distraction method"?
Water pistol is what every vet and behaviourist and breeder
has told me to do.

Prin
July 23rd, 2005, 02:28 AM
Usually, from what I know, you go see what the dog is barking at, tell him there's nothing, and then distract him away from it. Like described in this quote from a link that Lucky gave on another thread:
Each time your dog barks, after two or three woofs, praise her for sounding the alarm. Then tell her, "Stop Barking." Simultaneously, waggle an especially tasty food treat in front of her nose. Most dogs instantly stop barking because they can't sniff and lick the treat while barking.
That's the one I like. As Tenderfoot said in a different thread:
Squirt bottles can work at first - until the dog learns that if you are far enough away from the bottle he can still bark - he never really learns not to bark - he just learns to outsmart the bottle.
I also grab the muzzle loosely if the dog really doesn't get it. But I have never used a squirt bottle... :) But I have to admit, I searched, and a few people have used it. :o I just never have... :)

epundt
July 23rd, 2005, 09:17 AM
I have a hand-held high freq. device that I use very sparingly and only when my male mini dachshund is not any where near. My labrastray barks incessently, not only at people but at anything that moves, breathes or has a pulse. She's never close enough to squirt with water so it works for that instant only. If my mini is anywhere near enough to hear it, he goes into uncontrollable shakes. (Its only good for about 15') It will take him several minutes to recover. I use it as a training device only. It gets the labs attention so I can impress on her not to bark. I would never put a permanent one in my yard. The hand held one you can use at your discression. Since I live in the country, I want mine to bark if someone is outside, then stop when I say stop.The way I tell that it's still working is to point at the lab and see if she responds.

doggy lover
July 23rd, 2005, 10:28 AM
When someone comes to my door Tucker barks a few times I say thank you, that will do and he stops barking, we have done this since we got him and it works. Tucker is not really a barker, only when he wants attenshion and your ignoring him, he will also pretend that he is going to nip you if you don't do what he wants, this is stopped by thats enough.

Puppyluv
July 23rd, 2005, 11:15 AM
I especially like how the website for this product uses an old age princible of "Negative Reforcement using Sound"
Just out of curiosity, has anyone EVER heard of the words "princible" and "Reforcement"? I wonder if they put as much time and money into making the product as they put into editing the website. :p

Prin
July 23rd, 2005, 05:04 PM
And who around thinks the older the training method the better? The old ways are so barbaric... Great ad.. :rolleyes:

BMDLuver
July 24th, 2005, 07:54 AM
I do know of two people who have purchased the Bark Eliminators from Pet Edge. They have had some success with them but not total success. The machine has two ways of working... it has a beep that you can hear as well to understand if the device is working to stop the dogs barking or not. You can turn off the beep as well as I've heard people say that the beep is more annoying than the barking. :D