Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

new kitten pees on my dad's chair and his side of the bed

Ginacresse
July 22nd, 2005, 11:59 AM
We recently adopted a 10 week old kitten someone had "dumped" along the highway. She's very sweet and uses her litter box "almost" all the time, but she keeps peeing and pooping on my dad's chair and on his side of the bed. I've caught her twice in the act and scolded her and put her directly into her litter box, but she doesn't seem to be catching on. Could there be something about my dad's smell that causes her to do this? Is there anything we can do to get her to stop? I've ordered Feliway but it has yet to arrive. Please help -- we can't get rid of Dad. :o

CyberKitten
July 22nd, 2005, 12:33 PM
Thank you for taking in this little baby - which she very much is. She is barely old enough to be away from her mama (12 weeks is best) but 10 weeks is not bad.

Frstly, please don't scold her. Cats do not understand that and it only scares them or makes them wary of you.

Kitties respond much better to positive reinforcement. Give her lots of praise when she goes in the litter box.

As for inappropriate urination, first, take her to a vet to rule out any medical reason. She may be in pain or have a uri and thus be avoiding the box for some reason. If she is healthy, make sure the litter box is away from her food and her bed and that is it is always clean. And when you clean up the places she did her biz, do not use amonia since it smells a lot like urea and she prob recalls and smells it so she will of course go there agin. If she urinated on the bed, remove all the bedding and wash them thoroughly and also clean the mattress.

IF you do catch her in the act, do not scold her. Simply take her to her box and scratch her little paws in it until she gets the message that this is the ONLY placv]e she can go for this!

WhKnight
July 22nd, 2005, 04:44 PM
This is going to sound so bizarre...but I had a boyfriend whose perspiration actually smelled like cat urine. It seemed to be strongest in the towels he used, and he must not have sweat too much in bed, because I didn't smell it there, but it was definitely present in his clothes and in the towels he used. I guess we're lucky that both cats were litter box trained before we got them from the Humane Society, or who knows what kind of problems we might have had? :)