Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Medical Question

GIJoe
July 22nd, 2005, 11:25 AM
We have a 9 year old pug that is having trouble walking on her back legs. We took her to a neurologist who did an MRI. He said that she has a herniated disk, but was reluctant to operate at that time because he also saw inflamtion on her spine. He gave her Pretnasone for a week, but took her off because there was no improvement. That was 2 weeks ago, and now she can't walk at all. He is seeing her again on Monday, and said that he might consider operating on the disk. I guess my question is "Is there a specific name (diagnosis) for the inflamation that I can look up for information in the meantime?" Also, what is Degenerative Myelopathy? My father seems to think that her bowels are also failing because she has had a couple of accidents (I think it was because she couldn't physically get to the bathroom.) I'm just trying to get all the information that I can. Thank you so much!

Luba
July 22nd, 2005, 11:52 AM
I'd like to suggest you consult a vet that does chiropractic treatment and perhaps water therapy. I've seen miracles come from these forms of treatment!

SnowDancer
July 22nd, 2005, 12:14 PM
If you Google Degenerative Myelopathy in Dogs you will find several sites that provide detailed descriptions of the disease. The same with Herniated Discks in dogs. My experience with disc disorders has been limited - but extreme - to Dachshund disc disease. I agree that your neurosurgeon may well have to operate - and soon. I would ask the prognosis considering your dog's age. Hope everything works out. The fact that your dog has ceased to walk is not good - I am hoping that the paralysis is restricted to hind legs only and not whole body. If whole body paralysis I wouldn't be waiting until Monday.