Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

approximately how long do certain breeds live

Jenn1800
July 21st, 2005, 11:49 PM
I have a 12 year old Brittany Spaniel and I was wondering about how long they tend to live. I have done research but they are all different and I know it varies from dog to dog, but if anyone has some sort of idea that would be great!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 22nd, 2005, 07:17 AM
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/brittany.htm
Hi Jenn1800
I don't know exactly how long Brittianys live for. I am adopting a cousin of the Brittiany (I think) a six year old English Cocker Spaniel. Don't you just love those spaniels. ;)

StaceyB
July 22nd, 2005, 07:37 AM
From what you have researched you should be able to get an average age. Find out how long his/her parents, grandparents lived. This may also give you a good idea. Remember the life that your dog lives varies from any other so it will play a part on how long your dog will live. There are many things that factor into how long your dog will live so any info that you find will only be an educated guess.

Beaglemom
July 22nd, 2005, 07:56 AM
Like Stacey said, there are many factors that contribute to the lifespan of a dog. If your dog is healthy, than she could have a few more years. We had a cockapoo live to be approx. 16 years old. Our maltese cross lived to be just under 14.5. It is not something easy to predict. Small to medium dogs generally have a longer lifespan than large to giant breeds.

The important thing is to give your dog the best life you possibly can and enjoy every minute with her. Unfortunately, dogs don't live as long as we do. Give her the best quality food you can afford and make sure that she gets her annual or twice annual checkups. Catching things early is a good way to prolong the life of a pet.

Enjoy your time with her and try not to dwell on the fact that she is aging. Just give her all the love and attention she deserves! This you will never regret.

mona_b
July 22nd, 2005, 08:26 AM
there are many factors that contribute

This is so true

My previous GSD was with us for 13 years.This is their usual life span.If it was not for his Rhumatoied(sp) arthritis,I am so sure he would have been with us longer.A friend of mine had her GSD for 15 years.I lost one of my recent GSD's in Sept at the at the age of 8 1/2 to spinal disease.My current one is going strong at 9 years old.He does have a bit of arthritis.My moms Westie lived to be 15.And her current mix is 13.

Enjoy your time with her and try not to dwell on the fact that she is aging

I agree 100%

BMDLuver
July 22nd, 2005, 08:57 AM
Springers aren't the exact same but very similar and my dad's lived to be 17. He was blind and deaf for the last year but still got around very well.

I don't think anyone can guage how long a dog will live but if it's healthy, well cared for and no present issues you should have your childhood friend for some time to come. :)