Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Elderly Dog

Jenn1800
July 22nd, 2005, 12:46 AM
I have an older Brittany Spaniel who I have had since I was 3 years old. I love her to pieces and it is extremely sad for me to see her get old. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on joint supplements or anything to help her arthritis and her energy. By the way she is 12 yrs old. thanx!

Prin
July 22nd, 2005, 01:16 AM
Changing to a better food can really help. What food does the doggy eat?

Beaglemom
July 22nd, 2005, 08:45 AM
It's normal for a dog to slow down as they age. As for the arthritis, if it is mild to moderate arthritis, you could try glucosamine supplements. For more sever arthritis or for the times that it gets really bad, there are non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs that work great (Medicam is one of them).

My dog has arthritis of the hips and knees (she has hip dysplasia). We put her on a natural supplement that has worked great for her. She got her energy back and moves virtually pain free! We have her on Shasha's Blend. It is a powder that you mix with their food once a day. She went from a dog that didn't want to get up and couldn't even climb stairs without crying out in pain to a dog that never stops and jumps up on everything. Oh and she loves her supplement. Apparently it smells great to most dogs and they love it!

I also agree with Prin. The food they it is extremely important too.

Beaglemom
July 22nd, 2005, 01:01 PM
Beaglemom: re Sasha's Blend? do u buy that at a health store?
It's available from the vet's office. I'm not sure if it is available anywhere else.

Jazz&Cricket
July 22nd, 2005, 01:42 PM
I use Sasha's Blend with my dogs. As far as I know it is only available at some vet offices in Canada. It is an Aussie product and I was very impressed with the results.

Dogastrophe
July 22nd, 2005, 01:52 PM
Our vet recommended glucosamine w/ chondroitin & MSM for Monty as he is starting to show the early signs of arthritis.

Golden Girls
July 22nd, 2005, 02:15 PM
thanks beaglemom - i'll note n ask @ next vet's appt.