Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kittens just got spayed, how to care for them

Anna&David
July 21st, 2005, 09:48 PM
Heya
Not sure if anyone remember us, but we've disappeared for awhile, and now back..and need some assistance

we just brought our kitties home from their spay surgery. my heart just aches watching them wobbling around and looking very uncomfy with their cones. Is there anything that we can do to help them feel more comfy? Also, we noticed that their stomaches are a bit sunken, is that normal? they just stare off into space often... i assume they're still woozy from drugs.

just need some tips and reassurance that this is normal?

Thanks!
Anna&David

Lucky Rescue
July 21st, 2005, 11:39 PM
Hi and welcome back!:)

What you're seeing is completely normal. The evening of the surgery (I'm assuming they were done this morning) they are still under the effects of the anesthetic.

Can't help with the cones, since I never used them for spay/neuter and have never seen a kitten tear stitches out. The stitches are usually very tight, which could make their bellies look sunken a bit.

Offer them a bit of water and take the cones off so they can drink. They may refuse food even tomorrow morning.

They may not use the litterbox for a day or so, or may get a bit of diarrhea, but that is all normal too.

Keep an eye on the incisions to make sure they are not very red and puffy or oozing. Don't put anything on them or try to clean them.

Keep them somewhere quiet and they should bounce back very rapidly!:)

IF they stay very lethargic or won't eat past tomorrow evening, you should contact your vet.

Karin
July 22nd, 2005, 06:32 AM
What Lucky Rescue said....

I would leave the e-collars off. Rarely do cats bother with their sutures and the e-collars just traumatize the cats further.

I once wore an e-collar for an entire day at the last vet I worked for. It was on a dare and for a hoot but mostly to see what animals go through. My day was totally non-functionable. Never will I try that stupid stunt again. I looked at the ceiling all day long and knew every tile by heart. Plus I had a horrible rash on my chin afterwards. We did cut it down to be only 5 inches high but it was still NO FUN.

Anna&David
July 22nd, 2005, 08:25 AM
Thanks for your replies

tigger is eating a little bit, but ally is refusing food. the vet said we can feed them in the morning, so i am trying right now. we stopped feeding them wednesday night, before the surgery, so they've been without food for more than a day now.. im worried that they may starve.. or get dehydrated as they are not taking water too...

as for the cone, is that the e-collar? the vet said to leave it on for 10 days b/c they might try to lick the wounds, which is not good. I am home today, took it off to care for them, but next monday, no one will be home to make sure they dont lick their wounds, so should i leave it on?

how long until the drugs wear off? they are still woozy this morning.

SarahLynn123
July 22nd, 2005, 08:37 AM
Thanks for your replies

tigger is eating a little bit, but ally is refusing food. the vet said we can feed them in the morning, so i am trying right now. we stopped feeding them wednesday night, before the surgery, so they've been without food for more than a day now.. im worried that they may starve.. or get dehydrated as they are not taking water too...

as for the cone, is that the e-collar? the vet said to leave it on for 10 days b/c they might try to lick the wounds, which is not good. I am home today, took it off to care for them, but next monday, no one will be home to make sure they dont lick their wounds, so should i leave it on?

how long until the drugs wear off? they are still woozy this morning.

10 days! sounds like a long time. Since your home today I would take them off and keep an eye on the kitties if they seem to be trying to lick their wounds alot then they may need the cones on but if they never touch it I would be tempted to not put them on. See what other people say though, they have far more experience with this sort fo thing then me!

Lucky Rescue
July 22nd, 2005, 10:06 AM
What are you feeding them? If dry, try something very tempting and smelly, like Fancy Feast salmon. Canned also has a lot of water in it as well, which is good if they are aren't drinking a lot.

I"ve had MANY cats spayed, have never used a cone (or Elizabethan collar) and only one adult feral female took her stitches out and that was after the incision healed.

Feral cats are regularly spayed and released and don't bother their stitches.

The anesthetic should mostly wear off by tonight and your kitties should be eating by then, although maybe not with their usual appetite.

CyberKitten
July 22nd, 2005, 11:42 AM
I agree with everything the other posters have said. My kitten had no collar and was fine. She licked at her stitches but did not attempt to them out. It is also normal for kitties to be not hungry post surgery - and a smelly food will prob rekindle interest in food.

Good luck! I'm sure they'll be fine!