Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Split or Standard Keyboard??

kandy
July 21st, 2005, 03:56 PM
I have so many people that come into my office comment on my keyboard. I have a split keyboard that is more ergonomic and is better for carpal tunnel than a standard keyboard. Everyone is like "how the heck do you type on that thing?". I actually have a hard time now with a standard keyboard - I definitely make more mistakes on a standard one. So, I was wondering how many people use a split one?

Prin
July 21st, 2005, 03:58 PM
Not me. I still use the old-fashioned kind. Hey, you should ask the mods to put a poll. :D LOL I wrote it before the poll was up-- how's that for timing?

kandy
July 21st, 2005, 03:59 PM
I was working on the poll, I was just playing with the options. You're just too fast Prin! :)

We were typing at the same time! LOL :crazy:

Wudjah
July 21st, 2005, 03:59 PM
My favourite is the split keyboard - soooo much more comfortable! It doesn't take long to get used to typing on them, especially if you type by touch/memory. But right now I'm using a standard black one that came with my new computer because it's prettier :D I plan to change back soon though!

SnowDancer
July 21st, 2005, 06:53 PM
I don't like the split - maybe if it was custom designed to fit my hand size it would be different. I type about 120 wpm on a standard - with relatively few errors. My speed declines and error rate increases significantly if using a split.

mrjohndoe
July 21st, 2005, 08:10 PM
:sad: Thanks. I miss my ergonomic keyboard. I remember it fondly and have yet to send it to the great beyond. Even plugged it into my laptop. :sad: I miss my laptop. It lies in the same pile as the keyboard.

Seriously, though I use to actually get between 80 to 90 wpm on the natural keyboard and 40 to 60 on the regular plus my wrists/forearms don't hurt.

Coffee + keyboard = baddd!

Note to self: Use thermal mug with lid.

Schwinn
July 21st, 2005, 09:35 PM
The first time I used the split keyboard, I couldn't figure out how the heck people use it. I'm talking the Microsoft one that's all lumpy! After using it a few times, I found it amazing. But I've never gotten one myself. Too cheap! However, I think if I start working on my novel again, I might be able to loosen the purse strings.

CyberKitten
July 22nd, 2005, 12:01 PM
I prob should use an ergonomic one but I have several different computers - 2 laptops (one is owned by the univ and it is just for research and work) - and they are all regualar keyboards - enhanced I guess is the term. I prefer the larger keyboard than my laptop but then I can't use the desktop in bed, haha I could I suppose use a wireless kbd with it?

Anyway - to reply and stop meandering - straight!

kandy
July 22nd, 2005, 01:58 PM
I worked at a place that only had split keyboards years ago and then last year I had to have physical therapy for my carpal tunnel. The first thing that the therapist recommended was a split keyboard. My boss was kind enough to buy me one and when I got promoted, no one else wanted my keyboard, so I took it to my new position. I have a straight one at home and find that I cannot type nearly as fast or with the accuracy that I get from my split one. Not to mention that after typing for a bit, my hands and wrists really start to ache at home. Don't have much problem at work anymore.

I noticed that someone chose the don't know what a split keyboard is, so here's a link: http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=355808&uniqueSearchFlag=true&Ntt=keyboards&An=text

Kariia
July 22nd, 2005, 04:01 PM
Thanks. I'd probably type horribly on that. I'm used to a standard and can type of to 300 wpm- usually about 200-ish though. I'd be lucky to type maybe 100 on that...

I have a curved keyboard- like the shape of the split one, but laid out like a standard. I've never gotten carpal tunnel with it though.

dmc123
July 22nd, 2005, 05:58 PM
Standard for me. I am a pc tech and some of my users have the split ones, I have to hunt and peck on theirs. If I had to use one, I think I could get used to it though, but hopefully won't have to :)

Diane

OdinAndAlan
July 22nd, 2005, 06:09 PM
I have a split keyboard and I find it more comfortable than a regular keyboard when I'm doing my homework. Since my homework include programming assignments, I have spent many many hours on the keyboard. I don't think I could for for the same length of time on a regular keyboard.

pags
July 22nd, 2005, 06:49 PM
We go through keyboards like dirty socks around here... I wear the letters off, wear gouges into the keys from my fingernails long before the things stop functioning all together.. BUT we go through plenty of them nonetheless. Therefore, I end up opting for the cheapest deal at the time and buy three or so at a time so we always have spares. :)

Hmm.. as a matter of fact the E S A and C are worn completely off on the one I'm using right now. :p And I'm quite sure it was replaced before the beginning of summer.

doggy lover
July 22nd, 2005, 08:27 PM
Ahh carpel tunnel had that been there, surgery hurt more. They don't knock you out just freeze you hand with big needles ouch. :eek: