Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

kitty's butt is smelly

Sandy Vaughn
July 21st, 2005, 02:36 PM
I have had a new 9 week old kitty for the past week, and the last few days his butt has been smelly. It looks clean, but is just smelly. Anyone had a similar problem? Any ideas? Thanks.

Karin
July 21st, 2005, 03:22 PM
Hmmm? I'm sure Ciara has a smelly butt too. but I'm not going there.

jessi76
July 21st, 2005, 03:56 PM
Smelly cat... smelly cat... what are they feeding you?... smelllly cat... smelllly cat....

(Pheobe's Smelly Cat song from Friends....sorry, couldn't resist.)

Shamrock
July 21st, 2005, 04:43 PM
Sandy, The topic IS a bit amusing, I hope you agree? :D ;) Especially with the song...
Well,.. your kitten could have a bit of digestive upset and just be a little... gassy?
Also, as you have had her just a week, she is likely adjusting to the food.
(you're not giving her milk are you? that can cause tummy upsets.. and.. maybe smelly bottoms :D

Trinitie
July 21st, 2005, 04:48 PM
Yes, the reason for the is very amusing. The "eau-de-chat" may be because of the change in food. Unless you notice very bad stools, or he stops eating, or starts vomitting, then I wouldn't worry too much.

Ah, new parents. :love:

sonicsink
July 21st, 2005, 08:32 PM
Well I might as well make my first post in a smelly butt thread :p

In my many years of being a cat owner, I have just come to realize that some cats have smelly bums even when they are clean. I call it "oily bum syndrome" as the smell almost has a greasy/oily smell to it.

Is you cat an orange tabby or does he/she have any orange tabby on themselves at all? I find orange tabby cats or cats with any orange tabby on them are usually the ones with this oily bum syndrome.

Lucky Rescue
July 21st, 2005, 09:23 PM
Kittens can be the smelliest things around!! :eek: It's probably gas you're smelling and it's horrible!

What are you feeding? Is the kitten otherwise healthy, active, playful and with good appetite? No problems in the litterbox?