Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

small cut

raingirl
July 20th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Ok..long story short, some stupid dog decided to nip at Odin on our walk tonight, and now he has a small nick about 1 inch above his eye (sorta on his wrinkles on the top of his head). No other injuries and it doesn't appear that Odin even notices his cut.

Just wanted to make sure I'm doing this right. I watered down some hydrogen peroxide, dipped a cotton ball in and totally wrung it out, so nothing would drip into Odin's eye. We whiped the cut a few times and put a thin layer of polysporin on it.

Is that ok?

Luba
July 20th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Did you find out or do you know these people?

If you can find out...just incase.

raingirl
July 20th, 2005, 10:06 PM
No. Don't know the person. We live beside a park and it was just a passerby.

We didn't even see the cut until we got home as it wasn't bleeding, plus it was dark outside.

Prin
July 20th, 2005, 11:59 PM
I say it's ok, but some people stopped believing in peroxide...

StaceyB
July 21st, 2005, 12:08 AM
I wouldn't use the polysporin that close to the eye just in case he rubs at it. Make sure the area is clean and put some septic powder on it. This is my opinion.

raingirl
July 21st, 2005, 07:04 AM
I knew about the peroxide thing....but the only other option I had was rubbing alcohol but I knew that would sting so I didn't want that. Becase it's near the eye, I wanted something mild and non-sting. I am going to pick up some betadine though for my first aid kit now to have on hand for situations like this.

It scabbed up nice and doesn't seem to be bugging him. I will wash it again this morning and put a little more polysporin in it. We did a thin enough layer that even if he rubbed, none would come off.

coppperbelle
July 21st, 2005, 07:31 AM
Soap and water is excellent for disinfecting cuts or scrapes.

kandy
July 21st, 2005, 01:49 PM
Poor Odin! Sounds like you got everything under control - just wanted to commiserate!