Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog suffering from heat

anniehall
July 20th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Hi,
I have a Huskie/sheppard mixed dog and it's been extremely hot and humid here. I don't have air-con. He hasn't been eating he's full bowl. He won't touch it till late afternoon these past 2 days and today he hasn't touched it. He also has these scabs that he's been licking. I put Hydrogen peroxide and later teatree oil and it's help but a new one has appeared. I'm positive it's not flies. Is this all because of the heat because in the morning and evening when it's a little cooler, he's back to his hyper self. Oh, and he will eat good food, just not his dog food.
Thanks!

kandy
July 20th, 2005, 11:49 AM
A visit to the vet is probably warranted for the scabs.

As far as the heat goes - give him fresh, cold water at least every hour and put ice cubes in it. You might also try to wet a towel for him to lay on if you don't have any tile surfaces in your house. I have a cool pad for my newf. Put a fan where it blows on him to help keep him cool. You can spray him down periodically with a water bottle, but don't make it cold water - you don't want to shock his system. Don't force him, or expect him to be active during the hottest parts of the day - he knows that its too hot for activity. Watch for heat exhaustion or heat stroke. Make sure that his gums stay nice and pink - if his gums turn gray or whitish, take him to the vet ASAP. Other signs of heatstroke in dogs include walking like they are drunk. I know there are more, but I can't think of them right now. You can Google Canine Heatstroke and gets lots of good information.

StaceyB
July 20th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Don't worry if he has chosen to eat when it is cooler out. Adjust his feeding schedule to these times. I hope you hadn't fallen into a routine of leaving the food out all the time and/or giving in and giving him other choices for meals. These will both give him the idea that he doesn't have to eat what is given and at what time it is given. He will wait it out for his choices.
I had mentioned in another post to get a thinning comb to remove a lot of the undercoat. You may also want to check out the soaker coats made by chilly dogs. www.chillydogs.ca

Lucky Rescue
July 20th, 2005, 01:53 PM
I had a dog with a very heavy coat and he too suffered in the heat. I wouldn't shave him because then he would have been vulnerable to a million horse/deer flies and mosquitoes.

I used to give him a bath, and then brush his coat dry. Brushing a wet coat makes about half of it come out, and he was much more comfortable that way.

Beaglemom
July 20th, 2005, 02:03 PM
When I was younger, we had a dog that had longish hair and she too suffered from the heat. She used to find the coolest part of the house and stay there or she would be around the fan. Also, another thing that she used to do to keep herself cool was to go for a dip in the lake. Now I know not everyone has access to a lake 24/7 and not every dog likes water. But, for those dogs who do like water a kiddy wading pool set up in the backyard with some water is a nice retreat, if you have the room.

Prin
July 20th, 2005, 02:59 PM
I agree with the kiddie pool-- if you can get the doggie into it. Sometimes I "accidentally" throw a bucket of water on Boo (not too cold though, I don't want him to have a heart attack)... It's the only way to get him wet. He doesn't shake it off after either, so he must be pretending to hate it.

Be sure there is enough cold water around for him to drink too. I throw some ice cubes in there too.

Shaykeija
July 20th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Receipe for poor mans air conditioner :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint:
Make a 10 pound ice cube put it in a container large enough to hold melting water. I use a kiddie pool. Put fan in front of it and let the dog injoy the cooler air flow. Just make sure you do it safely and make sure the fan cannot tip over. I use this at home for my girls when it is too hot. Cools the house down also. I recycle the water and make sure I have a few large cubes made up for the girls.

Prin
July 20th, 2005, 10:57 PM
Wow, I thought that only worked in cartoons! It actually works?

Shaykeija
July 21st, 2005, 06:25 PM
Yeppers..My girls lay right in front of the fan when I have this going. Believe me the ice melts fast but it does work. Aye and I like it too....Old comercial saying from an Irish Spring commercial. Man I gotta get out more.. :p :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: