Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pit ban poll

trescanis
July 20th, 2005, 01:06 AM
http://www.katu.com/news/news_poll_pit_bulls.asp

Just close the windows and click again to keep voting!

Prin
July 20th, 2005, 01:08 AM
I voted "yes" a hundred times for you.

Just kidding!! I voted no. :D

Jackie467
July 20th, 2005, 01:12 AM
It says each person may only vote once. Does that mean it's not counting if you vote again after that? I can't tell if it counts it if you do it again because other people are voteing and changing the number of votes, so I can't tell if the number is changing because of that or me.

StaceyB
July 20th, 2005, 01:15 AM
That is really sad. Out of aprox 25000 that voted so far, 61% said yes. It should be the bad owners that are banned not the dogs.

Jackie467
July 20th, 2005, 01:17 AM
That is really sad. Out of aprox 25000 that voted so far, 61% said yes. It should be the bad owners that are banned not the dogs.
I know, it makes me crazy.

trescanis
July 20th, 2005, 01:28 AM
It says each person may only vote once. Does that mean it's not counting if you vote again after that? I can't tell if it counts it if you do it again because other people are voteing and changing the number of votes, so I can't tell if the number is changing because of that or me.

It's counting each vote you make. If it wasn't it would say "you have already voted". :thumbs up

Prin
July 20th, 2005, 01:30 AM
You just have to press "refresh" after you voted, and then you can vote again. The vote numbers go up really quickly.

chocolatecoffee
July 20th, 2005, 02:58 AM
Haha, I think it only counts your vote once. I voted once, and the total votes went up from 29962 to 29963, then I kept voting and it didn't change.

It's split 50/50 now though, which I guess isn't that good, but it's still a lot better than 61% yes.

trescanis
July 20th, 2005, 03:54 AM
Haha, I think it only counts your vote once. I voted once, and the total votes went up from 29962 to 29963, then I kept voting and it didn't change.

It's freezing up on you in some way.

twodogsandacat
July 20th, 2005, 07:25 AM
This from the same news station that broke the story on (former Portland Trail Blazer basket ball player) Qyntel Woods' dog "Hollywood' being found running loose with dog fighting wounds. Qyntel's excuse - he gave the dog away to 'some guy in an alley'.

Oregon has a dog fighting problem and therefore a pit bull problem but once again let's ban the dogs not the behaviour that leads to people wanting them banned.

BTW: Qyntel wasn't thrown in jail but was thrown off the Trail Blazers team (picked up much later at a discounted rate by a Florida team) for this and drug offences. On the up side his loss of earnings directly and from sponsorships likely was millions.

twodogsandacat
July 20th, 2005, 07:29 AM
http://www.katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=76999
May 8, 2005
Pit bull attack leaves young child in critical condition

PORTLAND, Ore. - Portland police are investigating a pit bull attack that left a 23-month old boy in critical condition.
Police say the child was in his own back yard last evening when he got too close to one of two pit bulls tethered by chains to stakes in the ground.

At least one adult was in the yard when the attack occurred. But the boy suffered severe injuries to his head and neck.

The dog that attacked the child has been taken to animal control and quarantined. No arrests were reported. The child's name has not been released while the investigation continues.

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

OR was it this one

http://www.katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=77206
May 18, 2005
Pit Bull kills toddler, fire extinguisher used to fend off dog

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. - A pit bull that had once bitten a person fatally mauled a young girl before being subdued by firefighters using a fire extinguisher, officials said.
The girl, who was 2 or 3 years old, was pronounced dead at a hospital following the attack Tuesday at the dog owner's home, police Sgt. Dan Underwood said. Her name was not released.

"The girl, her mother and at least two other people were apparently hanging out on the house's porch," Underwood said. "The homeowner apparently told them all to stay out of the house where the dog was."

It was not known what provoked the dog.

Huntington firefighter Jason Price said the dog was wild-eyed and the hair on the back of its neck was raised, and that it rammed the door like a bull.

"Hollywood couldn't have made this dog look more evil," he said.

The pit bull's owner, who also was not identified, had posted several "beware of dog" signs and was keeping the dog inside the house because it had previously bitten another person, said Debbie Young, office manager for Huntington-Cabell-Wayne Animal Control.

"A lot of people are under the impression that once they put those warning signs, they are in the clear. ... They are responsible for that animal," Young said.

No charges have been filed, authorities said Wednesday.

Young said animal control officials will ask a judge to order that the dog be destroyed.

twodogsandacat
July 20th, 2005, 07:32 AM
http://www.katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=76775
Bill outlawing dog fighting equipment closer to passage

By Brian Barker
And KATU Web Staff
A bill outlawing ownership of equipment used for training dogs to fight has cleared the Oregon Senate by a wide margin and is headed for the House.

Dog fighting is already against the law. The new bill would make it illegal to own equipment for the express purpose of training dogs to fight. The recent high-profile case against former Trailblazer Quentel Woods has helped speed the bill towards passage.

Woods was convicted of animal abuse after his pit bull "Hollywood" was found injured and abandoned in a Portland back alley. A treadmill and other equipment used to train dogs to fight were found in his home. The conviction cost Woods his job on the team.

Lieutenant Randall Covey of the Oregon Humane Society says that the Woods case has brought needed attention to the crime of dog fighting. He thinks the new bill will make it tougher for people to participate in a crime he calls inhumane and barbaric.

Lt. Covey was one of the officers that searched Woods' residence and found the training equipment. The bill passed the Oregon Senate 24-4 and is headed for the House.

BMDLuver
July 20th, 2005, 09:16 AM
I voted but it would only let me do it once even with refreshing. It's at NO 51% presently. :fingerscr