Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Horrible puppy buisiness

Vas
July 19th, 2005, 09:57 PM
I realise more and more how bad is the situation concerning animals...
Recently I talked to a woman who wanted to adopt a dog. She asked me advice whether she should become a "foster home". I thought that she was going to adopt a rescue dog, but I was very wrong. "Fostering" in fact meant that she will recieve a puppy (chihuahua) for free from a "breeder" but she will have to sign a 6 year breeding contract and provide the "breeder" with puppies.
I never heard anything like that before. There is a horrible buisiness that people make from puppies... Are people so desperate or greedy, aren't there other jobs to make money, don't they have anything to eat that they turn to such dirty stuff? Disgusting...

BMDLuver
July 19th, 2005, 10:07 PM
There is a woman who has multiple foster families who get a pb dog and the only condition is that they must take care of 3 litters of puppies. Once the three litters are done, the people can keep the dog. If they don't wish to keep the mother then they can select a pup from the last litter. She has beagles, spaniels, schnauzers (big & small) that we know of so far. She advertises the discarded mothers for sale as good breeders. :sad:

Luvmypit
July 20th, 2005, 10:13 AM
The problem with this situation is no one believes me when I tell them about how animals are treated and used for income.

I guess it's so bad that people can't believe it.

kandy
July 20th, 2005, 11:16 AM
It's so sad that some people think of animals as nothing more than disposable commodities. :mad:

CyberKitten
July 20th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Our society has routinely thought of animals as comodities for centuries. We use them in farming, hunting, etc. Initially, dogs were bred for work related reasons. Hunting and retrieving abilities or herding for example. Cats were considered as good "mousers" and as good omens on ships. I am afraid we continue the trend - especially how our laws are designed.