Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Menina, stolen/missing brindle Staffordshire

RPrice
July 19th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Place: Woodbridge Ontario, Weston Downs, Weston Rd & Langstaff (near canada's Wonderland). Missing July 13 2005.
One of our dogs, Menina, has been missing from our backyard since July 13th. She is one year old, has a heavy brown leather collar and likes young people but is nervous of adults. She had been unwilling or difficult to put in the fully fenced backyard for 4 or 5 days but we assumed she had tangled with one of the neighbours cats or possibly a racoon. However less than a week later she was gone from the backyard in mid-day. The gate had been nailed shut and the fence was too high for he to clear. The nails were pulled out of the gate and the gate was open. We are quite sure that she was stolen although I can't figure out how, not many people would step into an enclosed yard with what is considered a pit bull breed. My wife was in the house there was no obvious noise (barking). We have searched everywhere, posted signs and photos everywhere. We had rescued this dog from the garbage when she was 5 weeks old and we are all heartbroken. If anyone has seen her or heard of someone trying to sell a brindle staffordshire please let us know. Thanks.

mona_b
July 19th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Hi RPrice.

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog.

Have you tried checking out rescues and shelters in your area?If not I would.I would also give them a pic of her.I would also post it at your vets and other vet offices.

As for how someone could have stolen her,well that's easy.Someone could have been scoping your place.Also,it doesn't take much to put something in a piece of meat to sedate a dog.Especially if the dog is out back unsupervised.

Do you have a pic of her you can post on here?

BMDLuver
July 19th, 2005, 09:36 AM
So sorry to hear that she is lost. She is beautiful. Please tell me she is spayed? I would send photos and place photos everywhere around you and surrounding areas, shelters/pounds/vet offices/contact rescues/pet food stores etc... I truly hope you find her soon. :fingerscr

RPrice
July 19th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the advice. I have posted pictures with all the vets and shelters in the area as well a mail boxes etc. Menina is spayed, in fact she was due to get her stitches out a day after she was taken. My two children have spoken to every kid they know, we drive the area every morning and evening, expanding the radius each time but so far no luck.

Kariia
July 19th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Someone I know near there said they saw a brindle "pitty-looking-dog" run by their house! If that's her, then she will be found soon!

I hope someone picks her up fast. Check your shelters.

mona_b
July 19th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Also,has she been Microchipped?

Luba
July 19th, 2005, 10:39 AM
OH the poor little thing she just got spayed too :( her stitches still in her!

Good job with the posters and pictures the more exposure the better...especially to vets, pet stores, groomers and the like.

Copper'sMom
July 19th, 2005, 11:02 AM
I couldn't possibly understand what you are going through! This is one of my worst fears that someone would steal my dog(s). I hope the absolute best for you and your family in the safe return of Menina! :grouphug:

I hope Kariia's lead helps you out!!!

BMDLuver
July 19th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Oh, I hope the sighting leads to her being found soon. :fingerscr

Lucky Rescue
July 19th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Oh gawd. I hope you find this baby.:( Plaster posters everywhere, so whoever took her will see them, hopefully get nervous and might let her go. Maybe call a local radio station and plead for their help.

We are quite sure that she was stolen although I can't figure out how, not many people would step into an enclosed yard with what is considered a pit bull breed

Pit bulls are stolen all the time. Anyone who knows the breed - including and especially dogfighters - knows most of them do not protect territory and will greet and go with strangers happily or be lured with food.

I know of a rescue with a kennel who had to get a Fila and a Neo to protect the pit bulls who were being stolen.

Please, anyone who owns a pit bull and is reading this, do not leave them outside unattended.

Keeping all fingers crossed that you find Menina. Please keep us updated!!

I will crosspost this and send it to people in Ontario and also list her on my Petfinder site!

I can do this, but need your email address ASAP.

Luba
July 19th, 2005, 11:39 AM
If you need help designing a poster with pull tabs at the bottom that have your number on it you just send me a private mesg and I'll help you out.

Also take a look at the 'sticky' in this forum of lost and found, very helpful information there for you!

Kariia
July 19th, 2005, 12:34 PM
I know of a rescue with a kennel who had to get a Fila and a Neo to protect the pit bulls who were being stolen.

Filas do have "ojeriza", but Neos? Was the Neo to scare them away by looks? Because Neos are nice, but not a great guard dog unless provoked.

Lucky Rescue
July 19th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Neos are great dogs, but like many breeds will guard property. Not to mention just their looks and bark would frighten away all but the bravest or most foolish thief. Since people who fight pit bulls are abject cowards, no pit bulls have been stolen since the "Welcoming Committee" was installed!

twodogsandacat
July 19th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Filas do have "ojeriza", but Neos? Was the Neo to scare them away by looks? Because Neos are nice, but not a great guard dog unless provoked.

I believe that the mere size of the dogs may intimidate most. Here's the welcome commitee at the Villalobos Rescue Center for those that may want a look
http://www.vrcpitbull.com/appointment.htm

RPrice I hope you get your baby back.

Lucky Rescue
July 19th, 2005, 08:07 PM
That's the welcoming committee I was speaking of.:D

RPrice, I hope you will come back. I can't list your dog on my site until I have your email address or tel#!

RPrice
July 19th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Someone I know near there said they saw a brindle "pitty-looking-dog" run by their house! If that's her, then she will be found soon!

We've one other reports like this so we are keeping our hopes up and we contiue to search for her.

I hope someone picks her up fast. Check your shelters.

We check every morning and every evening

Kariia
July 20th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Where are the Neos? All I see are Filas. EDIT- Pazzo's a Neo, right? And Ares' is a Staffie?

Anyway, she was running west. And she was spotted in Woodbridge.

RPrice
July 20th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the info

RPrice
July 21st, 2005, 09:36 AM
We still continue to hunt for our missings pup.
For the record i can be reached at 905-851-1413 or email directly to rlprice98@hotmail.com. We will be out of the country by the middle os next week and the hotmail address i can monitor. Our phone will have an alternate number to call for any information about Menina. (Menina means Young Lady in Portuguese). If anyone hears or sees anything please let me know. Thanks
Rick