Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs in cars

StaceyB
July 18th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Can someone tell me why there are so many people out there that let their dogs hang their heads out the car window while driving or even worse letting them ride in the back of a truck unsecure. Would you ever let your child do such a thing. People just don't realize how dangerous this is. How many times while driving have you had the car in front of you shoot a rock or other object into the air hitting your car. That could have been your dog that was hit. I know of a couple that were driving with their little JRT in the car and the windows down. The puppy saw something of interest and jumped out. Luckily the little guy survived.
Please get those window barriers if you want to drive with the window down. If you really have to place them in the back of a truck have a secured crate for them to ride in. I watched this guy pass me on a highway with his lab loose in the back. I almost swallowed my heart in fear for this dog.
Keep your babies safe.

Luba
July 19th, 2005, 12:57 AM
Some people just don't get it do they, I still see this a lot especially the dogs in the back of pick-ups.

What gets me are the morons that drive with their dogs on their laps, with the dogs head out the window and feet resting on the window frame.

I just love being on the road with these dorks while they peek around their dogs rear end to see the ROAD...excuse me hello the road, you're driving not looking for fleas!!

badger
July 19th, 2005, 01:02 AM
I may have posted this before...

http://www.dogsincars.co.uk/

Lissa
July 19th, 2005, 08:09 AM
I agree with you completely! My neighbour has an F-150 Truck and his rottie is always in the back (he does have a harness for it - and thankfully so, that rottie has issues).

People must think its cute or bonding time to let their dogs sit in their laps while driving. I think its insane!

The worst I`ve seen lately was a guy driving a jeep with his ShepherdX - it had all of it`s covers off and was completely open! The dog wasn`t wearing a seatbelt or anything. I admit that this dog was obviously well-trained but what if the guy had to stop suddenly or was in an accident?

People just DON`T THINK!

Melissa

BMDLuver
July 19th, 2005, 08:11 AM
I must admit that I never really thought of the problems behind letting a dog hang it's head out the window. Since the topic originally came up, I've learnt that it's not such a good idea. I guess it's a product of my age that I was so used to seeing it I didn't really think about it.

As for pickup trucks and open vehicles, that has always annoyed me. :mad:

Beaglemom
July 19th, 2005, 08:32 AM
This is something that really bugs me! A lot of people just don't realize the dangers of a dog having its head stuck out the window or being in the back of a truck. I get so mad when I see this!

This reminds me of the Canada Day long weekend. My husband and I were driving to my parent's cottage. On the way we see this car coming towards us. And you won't believe what we saw! The car had a sunroof and a big dog had his head and chest sticking out of it! The car must have been traveling at 100 km/h! I couldn't believe it! That dog could have had something fly into his eye causing a serious eye infection or even blindness! Not to mention stones being thrown from trucks that drove by them possibly even killing the poor dog! What if the driver had to make a sudden stop? I hate to think of all the things that could have happened to this poor dog.

I always say, treat the dog as if it were one of your kids. If you don't allow your kid to do it, don't let your dog do it either!

Schwinn
July 19th, 2005, 11:16 AM
It wasn't until I saw a TV show about it that it even occured to me. We'll still late Daisy put her head out the window in town, but on the highway her head stays in the window. And we never put her in the back of the truck. But again, there was a time where I didn't think about it, only that dogs love it back there (usually). Lots of people don't realize the possible problems, and think they are being nice to the dog.

As for people who drive with thier dogs on thier laps, they're just idiots.

BeagleMum
July 19th, 2005, 11:26 AM
I have never let Spencer loose in the car. He has always been in his crate and now we have the barrier and he is in the trunk (I drive an SUV). He just loves it back there. I learned the hard way though that I have to tie him in because the first time I had him in there, we went to Petsmart. He got so excited knowing where he was that as soon as I opened the trunk a crack, he squeezed out past my hands and bolted for the store. I almost dies seeing him running across the parking lot. I was just lucky that there were no cars. Ever since then, I have always secured him in the back so that he can still move around but can not jump out when I open the door.

kandy
July 19th, 2005, 12:49 PM
I hate seeing dogs in the backs of trucks - unsecured or not. Unfortunately, it is a regular occurance around here and if you tried to tell someone that they shouldn't do that they look at you like you've got a purple horn growing out of your forehead. I make Hazel sit in the backseat of my car when she goes with me because she wants to sit in my lap or on the console between the front seats and she'll pop my transmission into neutral. :eek: When I was first driving, our GSD loved to sit next to you but she wanted to look out your window so you were always having to look between her jaws to see the road! Hubby and I are looking at getting me a new vehicle before mine croaks but we can't decide what we want. I know that we need an SUV big enough to carry two full grown newfs, plus hubby and I and maybe one more dog. Room enough for any luggage or groceries, etc., would be nice too. :p Do you think the car dealership would care if I wanted to take a bunch of dogs with me on a test drive??? :D

Sneaky
July 19th, 2005, 02:19 PM
I agree, the worst one is the drivers with the dog on their lap.
I actually saw once, a huge pickup truck that had not 1, but 3 large malamute type dogs running free in the bed. Every time the guy stopped they all crashed into each other, and every time he accelerated they all fell down! Geez sure cheesed my pizza I tell you.
The only wind my little Chi gets is from the a/c, she will jump out if the window is all the way down. (discovered that when car was parked as I cannot stand windows open when I drive hurts my ears).
Sometimes I will unroll the window just enough so she can stretch on tippytoes and stick her nose out, but not more than that.
She is a very well behaved dog, we trained her in the car to go into a down stay when the car is in motion on the back seat. She only goes to the window when we stop to see whats goin on.

twodogsandacat
July 19th, 2005, 04:18 PM
If an eleven year old kid gets it why can't most adults.....

http://www.rednova.com/news/display/?id=164953&source=r_oddities

Pennsylvania State Representative Tom Stevenson submitted a bill into the House Transportation Committee requiring dog owners to restrain their dogs while riding in a car.

A state lawmaker is pushing for doggy seat belts on the advice of an 11-year-old constituent. Marc McCann of Green Tree came up with the idea as part of state Rep. Tom Stevenson's annual "There Ought to be a Law" contest.
The bill requires drivers to restrain their animals, either with some kind of modified seat belt or in a crate or carrier box.