Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cleaning out mouth of dog?

raingirl
July 18th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Any ideas on how to "wash out" a dogs mouth?

After Odin's tooth/gum ordeal on Friday, we have been checking his teeth gums daily in the area where the problem was, and notice that his fur gets stuck up in his gums. He is so finicky, he won't lets us touch it (as I'm sure it still hurts from Friday), but we need to remove the hair so it doesn't cut the gum anymore (it's possible that fur was what caused the gum laceration as the area with his teeth and gums are compact and hard to reach/clean out).

Right now he has a small clump of hair, all lined up along the top of his teeth in his gum. We are at a loss as to how to get it out. The vet couldn't even get close to him with three people holding him down, so I have no idea how we will do it.

We were thinking something like a "water pik" to spray out his mouth. The only other thing we thought of was a water gun. He likes water guns (drank out of one once...yes it was clean!) so maybe that is an option. Don't want to choke/drown him though which is my worry.

Anyone have any other thoughts? He won't let us go in his mouth with our hands, he just wriggles away.

raingirl
July 18th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Wait, would one of those medication syringes work (obviously without a needle). I have one of those lying around. I will run it under some boiling soapy water just to be sure, then try that.

Prin
July 18th, 2005, 09:13 PM
That could work. You'd need a big one though, to get some pressure when you spray. I don't know what else you could use to get a nice stream... I hope he's ok. :)

coppperbelle
July 19th, 2005, 06:20 AM
What if you bribed him with a tasty treat like a piece of hot dog? Hold it just outside his reach and while he is busy trying to get it, pull the hair out.
Every week or so I do a check of my dogs ears, bodies and mouthes. More often when they are puppies so they are use to me sticking my hands in their mouthes. One time I found one of those clear window clings stuck between Chloe's teeth. She wasn't showing any evidence of something being there but if I hadn't found it her gums would have become infected.

kandy
July 19th, 2005, 12:16 PM
The syringe might work or even a spray bottle set on stream. If he won't let you in his mouth, you might have a problem though. Maybe one of you can distract him while the other sprays the area or just picks out the hair? I can just picture three of you trying to hold him down to look in his mouth! :D

I found a small stick in Lacey's mouth once that had lodged itself just right across the roof of her mouth. She never gave any indication that it was there but I happened to catch a glimpse of it while she was playing with a toy while laying on her back. Something about the shape or color or something made me check the roof of her mouth. It was really stuck and if she would've been freaky about me reaching in her mouth, I would've never gotten it out without poking or cutting her gums. Hazel is getting better about letting us get in her mouth - but it has taken some time.