Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Backyard breeding blues.

Lucky Rescue
July 18th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Got this email today from an aquaintance, concerning her sister's German Shepherd, an absolutely beautiful and sweet dog.....so unnecessary, but without healthtesting and titling, this can happen to anyone's dog if they decide to breed..
----------------------------------------------------
DO YOU REMEMBER ME TELLING YOU THAT MY SISTER'S GERMAN SHEPHERD, JADE, WAS HAVING PUPPIES? WELL ON SATURDAY, MY SISTER WAS AT HOME WHILE EVERYONE ELSE WENT TO THE STAMPEDE BECAUSE SHE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT THE NEW PUPPY WOULD DO AT HOME ALONE.

JADE WAS THERE AND SHE WENT UPSTAIRS. (MY SISTER) WAS DOWNSTAIRS DOING SOMETHING AND (HER HUSBAND) CAME BACK WITH THE KIDS AND WENT UPSTAIRS. HE SCREAMED "JADE IS GONE", (MY SISTER) SAID, NO SHE'S HERE I JUST SEEN HER A FEW MINUETES AGO. HE SCREAMED DOWN AGAIN "NO, SHE'S GONE!!!!" THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED, BUT JADE WENT INTO A CLOSET, THREW UP AND DIED.

THEY BROUGHT HER TO THE VET BUT DECIDED NOT TO DO AN AUTOPSY BECAUSE THEN THEY WOULD HAVE TAKEN HER PUPPIES OUT, AND THEY DIDN'T WANT TO DO THAT TO HER. IT'S SO SAD, BECAUSE SHE WAS SUCH A SWEET DOG, AND WOULD HAVE MADE A GREAT MOM.

kayla
July 18th, 2005, 06:56 PM
That's a really sad story :sad: I wonder how the dog died?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 18th, 2005, 08:02 PM
That is sad. Not sure how this family ended up with a pregnant dog.Nor am I blaming them because I don't know the situation. It sounds like her death was from complications from her pregnancy. It seems like a lot of people think its no big deal to have a litter of puppies, but then what do they do when there is complications. I have a lot of respect for reputable breeders that are knowledgable and know what they are doing. Its the ones that say hey why dont we let our dog have puppies and don't really think it through or research the process.

Loraxp
July 18th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Very sad Lucky - but hopefully someone will read this and decide not to breed their dog. SO sad.

kandy
July 19th, 2005, 12:58 PM
That's so sad. I remember as a child our GSD got pregnant - I don't know why she wasn't spayed. I remember that I heard a commotion outside and found this other dog stuck to Bunny. I had no idea what was going on but I thought this other dog was hurting her because she was crying and they were butt to butt. I kept beating on the other dog trying to get him to let loose of Bunny. Once I found out that he couldn't let go, I felt really bad that I kept hitting him but I really thought that he was hurting her and that I could make him quit it. When Bunny had her puppies, it took her almost 12 hours to have them all and I remember being really scared for her. I don't know how much vet care she had while she was pregnant. I do know that the experience is what convinced me to spay all my dogs.