Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Thick black skin on dog's elbows

kayla
July 18th, 2005, 05:15 PM
My dog's got a weird black growth on her elbows that I just recently noticed. I'm taking her to the vet Wednesday but I was wondering if anyone here has an idea of what it could be? I've seen it on other animals too and was wondering if it is a type of fungus or is it just something natural? I'm pretty sure I've seen it on horses too. Anyone know what I'm talking about? It's kinda like a thick black skin, no redness or anything, and it doesn't seem to be bothering her at all. Any ideas what it could be would be appreciated!

Luba
July 18th, 2005, 05:18 PM
It may be what many shelter dogs get sleeping on concrete and hard floors, it's like a callouse, rough hard skin.

Does your dog enjoy sleeping on hard floors and such? May just be that. You can give some supplementation orally some flax seed oil to the food (bout a tablespoon a day) and also rub some vitamin e oil into the area.

:D

kandy
July 18th, 2005, 05:21 PM
I've seen that on lots of dogs, especially shorter haired dogs. My mom's rotti had them, but I don't remember her getting them until she was older. I agree that it is just callused skin, nothing to worry about.

kayla
July 18th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Hmmmm, I was wondering if it could be callous. Thing is her skin is not black, why would a callous be black? She does lie on hard floor lots though, and it would explain why it's just on her elbows...

Lucky Rescue
July 18th, 2005, 05:33 PM
The skin turns black after the hair has been rubbed off. The exposed skin is a lower temperature and that causes the blackening.

I found this out when my dog got seasonal alopecia and lost hair on both flanks. My vet told me the skin turned black due to the temperature change. It's nothing to worry about.:)

dmc123
July 18th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Rudy has those on both elbows, his skin is very dark. He has access to all the furniture but prefers the floor most times. Just rugs, not nice carpet here. When he first got them, I was concerned, their vet gets tickled at my questions.

Diane

kayla
July 18th, 2005, 05:37 PM
I found this out when my dog got seasonal alopecia and lost hair on both flanks. My vet told me the skin turned black due to the temperature change. It's nothing to worry about.:)

Ok phew. I'm such a worry wart, thanks for the reassurance!

Luba
July 18th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Been trying to remember the term commonly used 'pressure sores' ding ding the bell finally went off LOL

Cookie's Mom
July 18th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Our dog has them too, on both elbows. They do resemble callouses on people, and the hair is all worn off. I don't think it's anything to worry about, but I would ask one question. Is this something that came on suddenly, or something that could have been there and maybe you didn't notice? Just curious.

kayla
July 18th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Well I just kinda noticed a little spot about 2 weeks 0r so ago and it's grown a bit since then. She's only a year old so it's a pretty new thing.

BMDLuver
July 18th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Get some Bag Balm and rub it on her elbows. It keeps the callouses that build up pliable so they don't crack. :)

Lucky Rescue
July 18th, 2005, 07:33 PM
My Chloe's elbows are soft and smooth as a newborn puppy's because her feet (and elbows) rarely touch the floor. :rolleyes:

BMDLuver
July 18th, 2005, 07:58 PM
My Chloe's elbows are soft and smooth as a newborn puppy's because her feet (and elbows) rarely touch the floor. :rolleyes:
LMAO. Abigail must be taking notes from Chloe, lol.

Prin
July 18th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Ya, it's calluses. My doggies have always had them. They start out about 1 cm in diameter, and then grow to be at least an inch in diameter. I play with them. :D

Lucky Rescue
July 18th, 2005, 10:36 PM
LMAO. Abigail must be taking notes from Chloe, lol

You better nip it in the bud, although it's hard with these super couch potatoes.

Here is my sofa pre-Chloe..
http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL320/1047157/2044454/105042085.jpg

And here is what it looks like now.http://www.discodelic.netfirms.com/sad-cry7.gif
http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL320/1047157/1960792/105042116.jpg

BMDLuver
July 19th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Lol LR. I'm afraid that the foster to potential adopt home lets her snuggle anywhere as well. It's too hard to resist her. So of course, one of the prerequisites is spoil her rotten!

kayla
July 19th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Haha poor couch! I don't have a couch where I'm living right now, no room for one! She's got a kennel with a soft blanket in it which she used to sleep in but lately I've been leaving my bedroom door open so she opts to sleep on the floor beside my bed which is not carpeted (she's not allowed in the bed with me, I know I'm a cold hearted person).

Maybe I will move her kennel from the kitchen to bedroom so she can have the best of both worlds :)