Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

help - won't use litter box!

moo-goo
July 18th, 2005, 06:11 PM
i have had my cat for over 5 years, and she has never had a problem with using a litter box...until now. i wake up at least twice a week to a poo on the floor, and my carpet is getting stained with her pee...

i've researched it on the internet, and taken the advice that i found - changing the type of litter i use, and where the litter box is...nothing is getting through to her. not sure what else might be wrong...

please help! our home stinks! :eek:

Lucky Rescue
July 18th, 2005, 06:15 PM
For a cat to suddenly stop using the litterbox, there is always a reason. We just have to figure out what it is.

The first thing you must do is take her for a check up. Any urinary or bladder infection will make a cat stop using the litterbox. If they do go in the box and experience pain, they feel the box itself is causing the pain, and try to find a place to go where it won't hurt, hence urinating all over the place.

After she has been checked out, come back and I'll have some suggestions for you.

SnowDancer
July 18th, 2005, 06:44 PM
I agree with Lucky. This happened years ago with our female cat and she did have a urinary infection. Jump forward 4 years to the time we took in a cat that had been abandoned by the neighbours. New cat did not care for old cat and attacked her 4 times in the litter box. Was very sneaky about it. Of course this created a totally different litter box problem - she became afraid to use it. Each had their own box of course. In the end we had to put first cat's box in a place inaccessible to new cat - a problem - she weighed 10 lbs. he weighed 20 lbs. But worked it out with the aid of Alpha Dachshund who stood guard while she did her business. He would not tolerate bullies. I found her one day using half of a honeydew melon as a litter box. Glad I noticed.