Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ice Cream Cake- DQ V Baskin Robbins

savannah
July 18th, 2005, 11:41 AM
I have to order a large ice cream cake for my daughter's bday, and i have not ordered an ice cream cake before (but have tried many - mostly dq's but i would have baskin as a child).
Is Baskin Robbins or Dairy Queen better? your personal opinions are very appreciated. I am getting mixed responses, so i don't know where to go. I hope Dairy Queen wins, as i don't know of any baskin robbins near me (that just occured to me). Also, what flavour is best? I like the crunchy chocolate thing in the middle. Yum.

Also, it is my dog's (firstborn) birthday a few days after my daughter's, and i want to celebrate on the same day (i am sure my daughter will love that as she gets older). Does anyone know where to get a good doggy cake or should i just let them eat cake lol? I want both my dogs to feel special on that day as well. DH thinks everyone will know i am crazy if i get a cake just for the dogs. I don't care what other's think.

jjgeonerd
July 18th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Baskin Robbins hands down IMO. Dairy Queens are good (is there any such thing a a bad ice cream cake??), but BR's are GREAT. :thumbs up

I prefer Mint Chocolate Chip or World Class Chocolate ice cream with white cake. mmmmmmmmm...where's the drooling smiley? :confused:

Luba
July 18th, 2005, 12:34 PM
:p DEF Baskin Robbins

Ice cream where are you.....looks around oh ya got some in the freezer yum go get me sum

pags
July 18th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Another vote for Baskin Robbins! Can't beat 'em.

raingirl
July 18th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Sorry, I like Dairy Queen (plus, Dairy queen is Dog safe icecream so I hear...as long as it isn't chocolate).

I know DQ cakes used to be plain and boring, because you could only get chocolate and vanilla with that chocolate crunch filling. But now you can get ANY type of filling.

What we usually order is vanilla bottom, strawberry filling, and strawberry cheesequake blizzard on top. It's GREAT. But you have to order special filling cakes (like ones using blizzard) at least 3 days ahead I think.

melanie
July 18th, 2005, 06:40 PM
you can buy some really cool ones at the local supermarkets here, most major icecream makers do them, look in the freezer section, they have barbie, shreck and all the res, very tasty too...check it out, may save a few dollars and be nicer too...

for doggies i make doggie cakes, that s a ncie good quality can of tined dog food, put into a cake tin to shape it, turn it out on a plate, then i stick cooked sausages out the top, it looks cool and the dogs think its great...and the sausages are like candles.... i love doggy parties.

jjgeonerd
July 18th, 2005, 06:50 PM
you can buy some really cool ones at the local supermarkets here, most major icecream makers do them, look in the freezer section, they have barbie, shreck and all the res, very tasty too...check it out, may save a few dollars and be nicer too...

for doggies i make doggie cakes, that s a ncie good quality can of tined dog food, put into a cake tin to shape it, turn it out on a plate, then i stick cooked sausages out the top, it looks cool and the dogs think its great...and the sausages are like candles.... i love doggy parties.
We need a picture of that! I'll show it to Gabby to bribe her into listening better! :D

savannah
July 19th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Thank you everyone for your resonses!

I am thinking that i might just buy 2 cakes, one of each lol! It's a large party, over 60 people invited, so 2 or 3 cakes is not too crazy for the amount of people invited.

I also hear that BR is "better" as they are "real ice cream and not soft serve". So i do want BR, but then the strawberry cheesequake from DQ is my favourite, meaning i think i might get one of each.

Just wanted to point out, if anyone ever also needs to buy an ice cream cake, that Baskin Robbins is quite more expensive. For example, a cake that feeds 20 people from BR costs $45. A cake that feeds 25 people from DQ costs $33. So there is a difference in price, that i am okay with, as long as it tastes better.

raingirl
July 19th, 2005, 06:04 PM
savannah, do you have a springform pan? if so, just make one yourself!

Just put the icecream in the fridge for 20-30 minutes until it's softened, but still firm, just scoop it into a springform (pur about 1 inch for first layer) put in a fun filling (sometimes I do chopped up M&M's) then take your second softened flavour and put overtop, then re-freeze overnight. Then just take it out of the pan and "ice" it with cool-whip, and put back in the freezer until ready to serve!

That way you can choose whatever flavour you want and it's SOOOOO much cheaper (like $10 only).

If you get some of those fancy ice creams like Reese or Turtle ice cream, put some of the same "flavour" in the centre (like broken up reese's peices or reese peanut butter cups, or chopped turtles and some caramel sauce). mMMmmm

lilith_rizel
July 19th, 2005, 06:08 PM
mmmmm. I LOVE ice cream cake. The best one I ever had, was made by my sister. Yumm. The filling was crushed butterfingers!!!!!Yummy.........