Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Your favorite picture of your flowers.

doggy lover
July 18th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Here is one of mine, it is hard to choose as I have so many.

pags
July 18th, 2005, 12:47 PM
I just love the color of this one. Can't get enough orange!

Dogastrophe
July 18th, 2005, 12:58 PM
While not my favorite flowers, these honeysuckles are growing on my arbour.

Luba
July 18th, 2005, 01:27 PM
OH geeze it's so hard to pick just one and all of yours are just breathtaking...thank you mother nature for giving us all this beauty....

This is an early spring bleeding heart

chico2
July 20th, 2005, 09:42 AM
This Lily is not a perennial,but I love the colour...

jessi76
July 20th, 2005, 09:53 AM
I didn't even notice the spider until AFTER I took the photo....

Lizzie
July 20th, 2005, 10:01 AM
I didn't even notice the spider until AFTER I took the photo....

That photo would be really good for a natural science/biology class! It is a perfect example of what the little critters can do to protect themselves from enemies!!

Jazz&Cricket
July 20th, 2005, 12:22 PM
I love pansies...they are have such a 'happy' face :) I'm still working on my new gardens and have great lilies growing right now

chico2
July 20th, 2005, 05:23 PM
J&C,Pansies are beautiful,but I have not had much luck with them,everything else is doing very well,also the bunnies around here love to eat Pansies.. :D
Here is three pics I took when we were in Myrtle Beach last year...

DogueLover
July 21st, 2005, 12:54 PM
I took these this morning in my yard. I usually plant my little wooden wagon that my dad made for me with flowers and it always looks sooo pretty.

DogueLover
July 21st, 2005, 01:06 PM
Here are some more pics of the flowers in my yard

Lizzie
July 21st, 2005, 06:14 PM
There can never be enough tulips :) Not my flowers...but I still love them!!

Prin
July 21st, 2005, 11:45 PM
oooh that one is pretty! I love tulips but they don't last long enough. :)

Rita
July 22nd, 2005, 08:40 PM
Here's a picture I just took tonight ... not a very good picture but I thought it was cute :p
See the American Goldfinch at the top of the sunflower? I guess smelling the flower wasn't enough for her ... she wanted a taste ;)

doggy lover
July 22nd, 2005, 08:44 PM
I love this pic, I have posted it before

doggy lover
July 22nd, 2005, 08:47 PM
here is another

doggy lover
July 22nd, 2005, 08:49 PM
just one more

Writing4Fun
July 22nd, 2005, 09:13 PM
:love: Sigh! :love: What a happy thread! My contribution #1 - entitled "Peek-a-boo!"... :D

Writing4Fun
July 22nd, 2005, 09:14 PM
...contribution #2...

Writing4Fun
July 22nd, 2005, 09:14 PM
...and last, but not least, my parents' rose of sharon, which has since passed on... :sad:

doggy lover
July 22nd, 2005, 09:16 PM
I had a rose of sharon once before it died too. Maybe it gets a little too cold here sometimes.

Writing4Fun
July 22nd, 2005, 09:29 PM
My uncle, who lives in North York, is the one who turned us all on to rose of sharons. He has, like, a dozen of them around his yards, and they all seem to thrive - more than he'd like them to sometimes (he's constantly trying to give away "babies" :p ). I think my parents' tree was taken by some sort of parasite. I have two, but they don't like the soil or the shade or something in the area I've planted them, because they are not happy at all :( - until earlier this week, I actually thought one of them was dead. My sister has two of them - she got them from our uncle at the same time as I got mine - and hers are doing beautifully. So, I'm not sure about the cold - heaven knows we get our fair share of it up here. :rolleyes:

chico2
July 23rd, 2005, 08:16 AM
I do not have a Rose of Sharon,but a Hibiscus and I cut it down to the ground every spring(for 7 yrs)and it has survived year after year,growing to 5 feet tall with tons of flowers...this is the only pic I have of it,the top one is a Hydrangea.

chico2
July 23rd, 2005, 08:34 AM
Some of my roses...

chico2
July 23rd, 2005, 08:36 AM
and Cone-Flowers...

badger
July 23rd, 2005, 08:57 AM
set up the tea tray, anita, we're all coming down to tour your garden. awesome. this is a flower I raised from seed, 'origin unknown' . My sister guessed hibiscus, but it is a single stem with two or three buds, which bloom consecutively. No scent. Any ideas? At first I thought it was Love-in-a-Mist because the stem and the buds have that 'furry' look, and then wow.

badger
July 23rd, 2005, 09:03 AM
view from the back...

chico2
July 23rd, 2005, 09:56 AM
Badger,sure come on....but skip the tea,I don't have anything resembling tea in the house :D
Furry leaves...hmmm,although the flower looks Hibiscus-like,I'm thinking some sort of Poppy.The leaves look like poppy-leaves.Beautiful,whatever it is..
I have a couple of Poppys,but they are not doing too good...
I am not that good at remembering names of plants(or anything else for that matter,hubby calls it"brain-farts"),other than the regular ones...

Prin
July 24th, 2005, 01:44 AM
Wow Doggy lover, that butterfly pic is beautiful! I don't think I have seen it before.

And W4F- Lucky you called that pic "peek-a-boo"- otherwise I would never have seen that little guy! :)

And Chico- There was a lady near my old apartment that had tons of roses all over her yard, and I so wish I could have had the courage to ask her how she did it... I'm so jealous of anybody who gets to see roses whenever they want. :o

chico2
July 24th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Prin,roses are actually not difficult to grow,I have about 7 different ones growing on the side of my drive-way and they've been blooming for at least 20 yrs.
They are temperamental though,last summer we had too much rain,roses were scraggly...this summer too hot,they don't grow very big,but still pretty.

pags
July 24th, 2005, 11:22 AM
I love this thread.. Everything's so pretty!! I miss springtime.
Here are a couple more of my favorites:

First -- my favorite 'corner' of color.. The combo just gets to me every year!!

pags
July 24th, 2005, 11:26 AM
And one of my favorite daylilies. Looks like some alien bird or something. :D

chico2
July 24th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Beautiful Pags!! I too have a corner I did not really know what to do with and I planted a whole bunch of Day-Lillies,even when they are done,ay least I have a green corner :D

Lucky Rescue
July 24th, 2005, 03:39 PM
These pics are all so beautiful and restful to look at!!:)

I dont' get too many flowers,(have a large fern and hosta garden) since my yard is shaded with many trees, but do have some:

My favorite lily

chico2
July 24th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Lucky,I love lilies and last year I found one that blooms all summer,it's yellow,but still really pretty.
I have a few Hostas but have to split them again next year...one is a blueish looking one,with huge leaves and pretty white flowers,that's my favourite.
Here's my butterfly picture,but I think everyone has already seen it,Oh well :D
No Monarchs so far this year,but I have seen the nice Black/Yellow one on my butterfly bushes.

doggy lover
July 24th, 2005, 06:29 PM
I love lilies! Here is a pic of a vause of lilies that I brought home from my cottage.

Lucky Rescue
July 24th, 2005, 07:00 PM
I love lilies and last year I found one that blooms all summer,it's yellow,but still really pretty
You must mean "Stella D'Oro". Stunning lillies! I have some but they never bloom. :sad:

Lovely butterfly! If you want Monarchs, culitivate a little patch of milkweed grow on your property. This is the ONLY food of the Monarch caterpillar, and if they're all gone, no more Monarchs. :( EVERYONE - GROW MILKWEED!!

doggy lover, that is awesome - could be framed.:)

Here's my white/green lillies. Don't know the name.

chico2
July 25th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Ok Lucky,what is milkweed???Probably too late for this season....
Vinnie unfortunately just loves to catch butterflies,it's amazing how high he can jump to catch one...he catches those little whiteish/yellowish ones that we have so many of,I don't like it but he munches them right up :mad:
I keep a vigil over any large ones though,since there are so few.

chico2
July 25th, 2005, 09:09 AM
I Googled and I found the Milkweed...and I don't have one,but I have everything else listed as Monarch friendly,even a teeny bird-bath especially for butterflies :D hidden i the flowers..
It says Milkweed is a weed(duh :rolleyes: )maybe it's not available in nurseries..

pags
July 25th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Yes, chico. Milkweed grows in the ditches and stuff around here... If we get a patch somewhere in the lawn we just avoid cutting it down. :) Bunnies love milkweed too, by the way!

And Lucky - the Stella daylilies are fantastic! The only thing that bloomed in spite of me this year. :D They also have miniature stellas - I planted some last year - and they're adorable.. only about 10 inches tall and perfect for the front of a border!

pags
July 25th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Oh and LR - your pink lilies are gorgeous!! I keep buying pink varieties but they never ever come out THAT pink... At least I know it can happen so I'll keep trying!! :D

Lucky Rescue
July 25th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Monarch butterflies cannot survive without milkweed. Yes, it's a weed but the flowers have an intensely sweet perfume! Look in a field in late summer and you'll see the familiar large seed pods. They look something like a cukecumber. When the pod ripens, plant some of the seeds in a sunny area.

http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordLandingES/Ecology/Plants/Common%20Milkweed/AscleSy.jpg

Pags I wish I could remember the name of that variety of lilly. The colour is almost flourescent!

I had a bunch of Asiatic lillies too - including Stargazers - but some sort of orange beetle killed every one of them. :sad:

doggy lover
August 8th, 2005, 09:47 AM
aa couple of new pics from this weekend.

doggy lover
August 8th, 2005, 09:49 AM
another one

doggy lover
August 8th, 2005, 09:51 AM
two more I promise.

doggy lover
August 8th, 2005, 09:52 AM
this is not of a flower but of the swamp area at the back of our property, it is so peaceful there.

shannonRN
August 21st, 2005, 03:19 AM
What a neat thread...it took about 10 minutes for the page to load with my crappy dial-up connection, but so worth it! I just love flowers, and even though I'm coming in late in the game, I'm attaching a few of my favorites from this season

Pansies...

shannonRN
August 21st, 2005, 03:22 AM
....and lilies.
I just can't plant enough of either of them.

Prin
August 22nd, 2005, 11:42 PM
Oh, I love pansies!! Pansies, lilly of the valley, and roses. :)
I don't have a garden..

I thought this was the "favorite pic of your garden" thread so I thought I had read it all.

So many beautiful flowers you guys have!!!! :)

debanneball
September 7th, 2005, 05:20 PM
This is one of my favorites. I took it in 2002, Coco was
creeping in my garden, doing her thing and I caught her. :thumbs up

debanneball
September 7th, 2005, 05:24 PM
And, this was taken last week. The sunflowers are so tall.

AliSam
September 10th, 2005, 08:01 PM
I love my gazanias.

AliSam
September 10th, 2005, 08:02 PM
My other gazanias.

meb999
April 12th, 2006, 03:39 PM
I just found this thread!! I love gardening -- it's one of my all-time favorite pass-times.
Here are a few of my favorite flowers (from last summer)

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/meb999/FLEUR5_lr.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/meb999/FLEUR6_lr.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/meb999/FLEUR3_lr.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/meb999/FLEUR2_lr.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/meb999/FLEUR1_lr.jpg

I can't wait until this summer --- I have quite a collection of daylilies....I can't wait to post pics!!

chico2
April 12th, 2006, 04:47 PM
meb999,I too love gardening,I go out every morning to check what is coming up and so far it looks like everything made it throught the winter.
I would love to find some milk-weed for the butterflies,I already have 3 butterfly-bushes.
Who knows,maybe nurseries sell them although they are a weed:confused:
Here are some of my flowers

chico2
April 12th, 2006, 04:48 PM
and some more...

chico2
April 12th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Last one...all from last summer of course..oops forgot the pic..

chico2
April 12th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Here it is...

chico2
April 12th, 2006, 04:54 PM
well,one more..

Writing4Fun
April 12th, 2006, 08:19 PM
I just noticed that some of my tulips are starting to bud. Yippee! Now that I have a new camera and a set of close-up filters, I'll be able to get some really neat shots of them this year. :D

cpietra16
April 12th, 2006, 08:33 PM
I got these flowers on Valentines...all my favorite flowers.

meb999
April 12th, 2006, 09:30 PM
meb999,I too love gardening,I go out every morning to check what is coming up and so far it looks like everything made it throught the winter.

I'm the same!! I've been going out everyday to check on all my little flowers. I planted 3 rose bushes last week (box roses -- bareroot) I hope they survive.

I'm so disapointed, I planted crocus' last fall, and I don't think they made it - -I don't have a single crocus. They should be out by now...:(

Prin
April 13th, 2006, 01:43 AM
I just noticed that some of my tulips are starting to bud. Yippee! Now that I have a new camera and a set of close-up filters, I'll be able to get some really neat shots of them this year. :D
LOL I don't garden, but some squirrels have strategically placed some tulip bulbs on my lawn.. We'll see what happens. :D

Writing4Fun
April 13th, 2006, 08:48 AM
LOL I don't garden, but some squirrels have strategically placed some tulip bulbs on my lawn.. We'll see what happens. :D
Woo hoo! Free tulips!! :D Gotta love them squirrels. ;)

chico2
April 14th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Here's a pic of my Hibiscus,keeps coming back faithfully for 15yrs now:thumbs up

Joey.E.CockersMommy
April 14th, 2006, 11:42 AM
I am not much of a gardener either - I usually plant a whole bunch of stuff and keep my fingers crossed. All I know is the difference between annuals and perrenials. I prefer perrenials dont see the sense in planting something that is going to die anyways. Although I did plant some perrenials this year.

A new wholesale plant place opened up just a block away from us. I have spent a small fortune in the past few days. I bought hanging baskets - geraniums ( I think) and some more annuals and perrenials, and some veggies. Hopefully they will all live - right now I am the only one on our block with hanging baskets and were having a cold spell not sure it there is something they know that I dont know???

chico2
April 14th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Well,I don't know how cold it gets in BC,but most annuals are sensitive to below 0C,I would take the baskets in at night for now,maybe put them in the garage,if you have one,we don't..:sad:
It will probably be another month before I can think of filling all my big pots.

shannonRN
April 24th, 2006, 01:00 AM
I'm so disapointed, I planted crocus' last fall, and I don't think they made it - -I don't have a single crocus. They should be out by now...
Chipmunks & moles LOVE crocus bulbs. Unfortunately, both are attracted to sites of fresh digging--I had a whole patch of crocuses & snowdrops that I dug up, removed the offshoots (eyes????) and replanted the whole batch. Lo and behold, the @#%& rodents dug every single one of them up and now I have NO crocuses or snowdrops :( Is it possible something like that happened?

I'm not much of a gardener. I have lots of semi-naturalized bulbs that I now have learned my lesson and leave alone! But we end up with new daffodils growing in the strangest places every year...

http://static.flickr.com/52/132473510_9de7ebe111.jpg

Prin
April 24th, 2006, 01:59 AM
Chipmunks & moles LOVE crocus bulbs.LOL my "tulips" ended up being crocuses... I think we got them from the neighbor. We have about 10 bulbs now.:o

Great pic!

chico2
April 24th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Around here it's mostly squirrells replanting my bulbs:D since I feed them,they have also planted some peanut-plants for me,to show their appreciation:thumbs up
I actually had about a dozen peanuts last summer from peanuts they had buried.

Skryker
April 24th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Around here it's mostly squirrells replanting my bulbs:D since I feed them,they have also planted some peanut-plants for me,to show their appreciation:thumbs up
I actually had about a dozen peanuts last summer from peanuts they had buried.

We used to get the same thing-the squirrels had a regular peanut plantation in my back garden and lawn. We haven't got many squirrels right now, though. I used to laugh at the "exchange program"-one lily bulb for one peanut plant, one hen and chick for one peanut plant...

But I have a black walnut tree thanks to the squirrels. My neighbour on one side has a beautiful old walnut tree that the squirrels strip of nuts every year. The neighbour on the other side had a small tree spring up that he didn't plant. Turned out to be a walnut the squirrels forgot, so when the tree had to be moved, I gave it a home. I wasn't sure it survived the dogs this winter, but it has new leaves on its surviving branches (the dogs "pruned" it for me :mad: ).

doggy lover
April 24th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Here is a pic of my orchids, my white one is not in it, but they are in full bloom.

shannonRN
April 24th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Those are gorgeous, doggy lover.

chico2
April 24th, 2006, 04:36 PM
The Orchids are beautiful!
I've always had a fear of orchids,although just about anything I have grows like crazy,I have tons of house-plants.They look so delicate and pretty,but maybe they are not.:confused:

shannonRN
April 25th, 2006, 12:43 PM
It is my understanding that they are quite finicky plants and have special needs. Maybe you could share some tips with us, DL? I was on the verge of buying one the other day when this woman appoached me and pointed out that what I thought were buds of new flowers were actually bloomed out flowers gone to seed, and that if I know nothing about orchids that I would probably kill this one before it had the chance to flower again :eek: They're awfully expensive, so I definitely want to know a little more about them before I take a shot at growing them, but they're so beautiful I just can't resist trying!
http://static.flickr.com/53/130003982_5e334fe7d7.jpg

doggy lover
April 25th, 2006, 06:09 PM
I find the Phalaenopsis Orchid is really easy, I'm not that great with flowers but have had a great time with these. Read up on their needs mostly potting mix, right light and humidity but they are not that bad.