Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Found cat- Ottawa

George'sMom
July 17th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Hello!

A new stray has joined the other two cats in our neighbourhood. She's small, a recent spay, and extremely skinny. Its a tortoiseshell and very affectionate. I gave her a drink of water and a bowl and a half of food...I imagine (and hope!) she will come back for more.

Now that I've written this it's dawned on me why she's so skinny...during her spay she must have had her claws clipped, so she's can't defend herself or hunt. If I see her again, I will take her in just for that reason alone.

Attached is a picture- please e-mail me or respond for the location if you know her!

Thanks!

LL1
July 17th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Did you call it in to local shelters and rescues?Maybe she somehow snuck out?I can post shelter info for you?

badger
July 17th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Oh yes please take her in, most cats are lousy hunters and barely find enough food to survive. Unless someone takes pity on them, much of what they find is garbage, including stuff that would not ordinarily be considered edible.

I picked up a male yesterday, he is a bag of bones. Initially I thought he was sick because he was hardly eating. Today he is eating ravenously and I realize he was so hungry and dehydrated that he had almost lost the drive to eat.

Interesting that someone who took the time and spent the money to spay the little tortie wouldn't have kept a closer eye on her. Or maybe she's a feral that was caught, spayed and released? Either way, anything (almost) is better than the street. Let us know how it goes.

CyberKitten
July 18th, 2005, 01:32 AM
By clipped, do you mean declawed? This poor baby is helpless out there. Please keep her inside so she can be protected and thank you for caring!! I just want to do something nasty to the people who left her and to whoever left that poor klitty SOS Miaw is helping! Arrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

LL1
July 18th, 2005, 01:37 AM
Most people dumping a pet do not spay them first.I can count on one hand how many have been fixed before entering my rescue.Call shelters and rescues,and I can give you the numbers if needed.

George'sMom
July 18th, 2005, 08:32 AM
I initially didn't want to take her in because I have two cats at home already (and my beau is not interested in any more), but, once I let her go I realized her clipped claws left her absolutely defenseless and unable to hunt! So, once I see her again (hopefully tonight, since she's been eating the food I left) I will take her in. She's such a sweetie- I can't leave her alone!

Oh, and by clipped I mean her claws are blunted- she still has them, but they're useless. I will also start calling all the vets I can today as someone would remember this particular spay.

Lauren

Lucky Rescue
July 18th, 2005, 02:01 PM
IF she's spayed and had nails recently clipped, this has to be someone's pet. She may have even gotten out of her carrycase after her spay.

She could possibly be microchipped. It's worth a shot to find out.

Little female strays often fare badly because the big tomcats take any food that is left out.

Make up posters and stick them around. Also call all vets in the area and find out which one did her spay. They'll tell you who the owners are.

I'm glad you're taking her in. You need to keep an eye on her incision.

George'sMom
October 6th, 2005, 09:05 PM
To keep you all posted- this little girl found her way home to a nearby house. I'm happy to report that she has more weight on her and now sports a collar. With that being said, there are unfortunately too many other strays in my area, and without collars, it's difficult to say who's who.

So, I guess this post can be closed! I was overjoyed to see her looking so much healthier.

chico2
October 7th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Thank's Georges Mom,that is good news!
Although,you said her nails were"clipped"if you mean declawed,she should definetly not be outside on her own.
Hopefully you just mean clipped,not removed!