Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Questions

StaceyB
July 17th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Questions I need to vent. As a trainer I see many breeds and temperments. I have also worked with many aggressive dogs, none of which are pitts. They are either not seeking training for aggression or there are not many aggressive ones out there. I have had tons in regular group classes and they have all been quite social.
I haven't researched all of the supposed attacks but from the ones that I have heard about most of them took place on the owners property. Now from what I have heard this muzzle law states that the dogs only need to wear them when venture off of their property. Why make a dog wear these muzzles where the problem doesn't exist.
One of these supposed attacks was where a couple of pitts were in their yard. A small child was walking by, behind parents when he fell. The dogs ran out and apparently attacked the child. The child was left with no bite marks only scratches. My point is, did these dogs really attack or did they just get excited when the child fell and jumped on him. This would still look scary if you didn't know what was happening but I think they over reacted. What would your dog do if you fell onto the ground in front of them. If you don't know try it. I bet over 50% would be jumping all over you unless they had been trained not to. Then again how many of you roll around on the ground with your dog. Many people start doing this when your dogs were young puppies.

I tell my students to ensure that their dogs are very well behaved in public because people can see and say something different from you. There are so many people in this city that are scared of dogs that if your excited puppy for example started jumping up in the air and barking to go see you could have that person calling by-law saying that your dog was trying to attack. To a person who doesn't know dogs any kind of bark is something bad.

Socializing is not with what they know but with what they don't know.

Schwinn
July 17th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Good questions, Stacey. Sadly, we don't have the answers, and the ones making the laws don't care for them.

On that note, welcome to the board!

bluntman
July 18th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Welcome to the board StaceyB, I wish there where more inteligent people like you out there, that realize this law is a farce, that does nothing for public safety.
I have heard this muzzle law states that the dogs only need to wear them when venture off of their property. Why make a dog wear these muzzles where the problem doesn't exist.

You could ask the man responsable for for this new law Micheal Bryant, but even he can't answer that one, or any of the other questions people have asked him about his bad law.

Lucky Rescue
July 18th, 2005, 10:10 AM
HI Stacey! I own a pit bull and live in Qc and so far have not had many negative reactions to my extremely friendly, sweet and gentle dog.

The dogs ran out and apparently attacked the child. The child was left with no bite marks only scratches

If any other breed accidently scratches someone by excitely jumping up, nothing is said. If a pit bull does it, it's an attack.

If any dog were truly attacking someone, there would be much more than scratches.

10 minutes from me, a husky attacked a young boy last week, who was hired to work on the owner's landscaping. The boy got 200 stitches in his face

The dog is still in it's home and the owner states the dog is not aggressive.

Had that been my pit bull, I"m sure the reaction would have been very different.

Copper'sMom
July 18th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Welcome Stacey! :)

Why muzzle when no problem exists?? Because Michael Bryant thinks there will be less Pit Bull attacks if they are all muzzled off of their property! But yet he doesn't understand the fact that these dogs that do bite, are running loose in the streets because they have escaped out of their yard without the owners knowing or for some even caring! These are the irresponsible owners!

Here's a little story that sort of blows my mind!
Some friends of friends own a JRT. This dog has bit the neighbour a few times and has bit other people as well. The HS has been out to the owner's house 7 or 8 times!!!! The dog has also been quarantined a few times!!! And yet there has been no disciplinary action taken at all - with the owners or the dog!! But if it were a large breed, it would have been PTS already or at least had a muzzle order!
Kind of makes ya wonder what the heck is going on in this mixed up world!

Kayla and Me
July 21st, 2005, 02:24 PM
I live in a neighbourhood where many of the dog owners get together in the mornings and evenings to let their dogs run off leash in a park behind my house. I have been told by them that Kayla and I are not welcome in their group. The stupidity astounds me. First, my dog is always leashed and soon will be muzzled. The chances of their dogs attacking mine is far greater. My only recourse is to immediately call the police and report them. If they only realised that by socializing all of our dogs the chances of any one of them attacking the other will be greatly minimized.

Any information out there about the damage that a hard cage muzzle can do to either dog in an altercation?

Kayla and Me

babyrocky1
July 21st, 2005, 04:31 PM
[QUOTE=If they only realised that by socializing all of our dogs the chances of any one of them attacking the other will be greatly minimized.

Kayla and Me[/QUOTE]Great point Kayla and Me, hey we missed you , were have you been :) Im still trying to get the pit bull coop going but Rocky refuses to go out in the heat LOL I dont blame him :)OOps I almost forgot, welcome Stacy B, I hope you enjoy your stay here :)

Copper'sMom
July 22nd, 2005, 11:49 AM
I live in a neighbourhood where many of the dog owners get together in the mornings and evenings to let their dogs run off leash in a park behind my house. I have been told by them that Kayla and I are not welcome in their group. The stupidity astounds me. First, my dog is always leashed and soon will be muzzled. The chances of their dogs attacking mine is far greater. My only recourse is to immediately call the police and report them. If they only realised that by socializing all of our dogs the chances of any one of them attacking the other will be greatly minimized.

Any information out there about the damage that a hard cage muzzle can do to either dog in an altercation?

Kayla and Me

How absolutely ignorant! It's a free park for ALL. I would go there with my leashed and soon to be muzzled dog just out of spite of those people. :evil: Personally these days, I am afraid to take my dog anywhere there may be a loose dog because I worry that he will be the one to be attacked!

Kayla and Me
July 24th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Great point Kayla and Me, hey we missed you , were have you been :) Im still trying to get the pit bull coop going but Rocky refuses to go out in the heat LOL I dont blame him :)OOps I almost forgot, welcome Stacy B, I hope you enjoy your stay here :)

Hi babyrocky1....missed you and Rocky too. We've been laying low for the summer cuz of the heat too. As soon as the weather breaks...count me in for active participation of the co-op.

A small update: As if being abandoned twice in her life, and being a hated pitbull wasn't enough....poor Kayla has now been diagnosed with a heart murmer. It may be nothing, but until we can get it checked out thoroughly, she under a restricted exercise program. She has a zero tolerance for the heat right now and a very low level of energy, so this isn't really a problem.

As for walking her with the other dogs....it's really quite comical. We enter the park and they run to leash their dogs and they leave. How can so-called enlightened dog owners act like this? The funny part is...that Kayla would much rather chase the squirrels in the park than play with their dogs anyway. lol

As soon as the weather breaks, I'll be back out at the park and they can run and hide if they want. I'm finished with being a nice guy about this. I read here somewhere that a lady was quoted as saying.."Don't worry about the dog at the end of this leash...worry about the bitch on this end". That's going to be my new motto!

Akeeter
July 25th, 2005, 12:14 AM
Which is why this & other parts of the Bill 132 don't make much sense.

I don't think that knocking down a child shows good training (that's what the incident sounds like), but it isn't an attack on the child either.

The owner needs to control, contain, & train his dogs.

StaceyB
July 25th, 2005, 06:07 AM
It was recorded here in Ottawa as an attack. I believe that these dogs are going to be put down because of it.

Akeeter
August 2nd, 2005, 10:03 PM
it concerns a Pitty, or someother breed under the cloud of Bill 132. :rolleyes:

Real attacks on people & dogs by 'less newsworthy breeds', either don't get a mention, - or the dog majically turns into a 'Pit Bull'.

I'm sorry to hear that these dogs will be put down over this :sad: but sometimes a little paranoia on the owners' part is a Good Thing. In the past I have trusted my own dogs, with good reasons, & a long history of good behaviour. Now, if anything looks Iffy, I stay away from it. Hindsight is always 100%, but in this time in our lives, you can't be too cautious, or build a dog fence too high. Even if you & your dog(s) are not looking for trouble, it can find you. :eek:

StaceyB
August 3rd, 2005, 07:56 AM
Article in Citizen today. Pit bulls to be put down. Nobody has come forth to adopt them. They were giving yesterday and today for adoption to happen and no more than a 10 day waiting period for them to be put down. Suggestion was made to increase waiting time to 28 days to allow time for others to adopt. Owner is not allowed to own a dog for 15 yrs. You can read article in Ottawa Citizen.

babyrocky1
August 3rd, 2005, 04:37 PM
[QUOTE=Kayla and Me]Hi babyrocky1....A small update: As if being abandoned twice in her life, and being a hated pitbull wasn't enough....poor Kayla has now been diagnosed with a heart murmer. It may be nothing, but until we can get it checked out thoroughly, she under a restricted exercise program. She has a zero tolerance for the heat right now and a very low level of energy, so this isn't really a problem.

Hi kayla and me, Im sorry Im just reading this now!!! poor Kayla...I hope everything checks out allright! Ive become the "bitch at the other end of the leash with certain trouble makers as well :) And if Im not Its at least my goal for the year!