Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Urgent - 60 cc plastic syringe & saline needed ASAP

SOS MIOW
July 16th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Please see my post under Rescue (Adopt) a cat/kitten - Meet JULY (not for squeemish). Luba suggested I check if anyone online is in the Ile Perrot/Pincourt area (or West Island) who can get me saline & 60 cc plastic syringe to begin hydration before I call my vet in the morning.

Katze
July 16th, 2005, 10:23 PM
How much would DMV charge for the saline and syringe. Can these be found at a regular pharmacy?

SOS MIOW
July 16th, 2005, 10:33 PM
How much would DMV charge for the saline and syringe. Can these be found at a regular pharmacy?

I can get these from my vet in the morning. I don't think a pharmacy would set me up with items that could be used for other purposes without knowing me (i.e., addict needing to clean out his system).

Luba
July 16th, 2005, 10:34 PM
I wonder if u call the emerg and explain the situation if you can get SOMETHING from them...ask them to offer a suggestion even

Tell them you're stuck and you think the cat wont make it?

Katze
July 16th, 2005, 10:45 PM
I called pharmaprix and they have .9% solution of saline as well as 60 cc syringes. They don't have the saline in bags though, just in 5ooml. size. The one I called closes at midnight, but there is a 24 hour location on cote de neige.

SOS MIOW
July 16th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Wish I'd seen your post sooner (it's now 12:15 a.m.). Will wait until morning and call our vet. I just gave July another 2 ml's of food mixture. She can't take more than that at a sitting. Will give another at 1:00 am and then at 2:00 am.

She does seem a tiny wee bit more alert....... :fingerscr

Lucky Rescue
July 17th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Just wondering....why wasn't this cat taken to the emergency vet immediately?

Prin
July 17th, 2005, 11:18 AM
I was wondering the SAME thing. Why would you wait for people here to respond if it was an emergency?

Lucky Rescue
July 17th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Since you have no degree in veterinary medicine, you should not be here asking people for medical supplies to home treat this cat. You have no way of knowing if it's dying of kidney failure or disease or if you are doing more harm than good. None of this would be necessary had the cat been taken immediately for the vet care it so desperately needed.

As a rescue, you should know this better than anyone.

"If your pet is seriously ill, bleeding, can't move, hasn't pooped or peed in a couple of days, has green mucus coming out of the nose or eyes, hasn't eaten or drank in a few days, is pooping blood, is coughing blood, has a bloated tummy, cries when touched or picked up.....Then please take the poor animal to the VETS ASAP.......Do not waste time posting here, your pet needs to be seen by a real live veterinarian immediately."

LL1
July 17th, 2005, 12:25 PM
How is the kitty?

Dragonfly
July 17th, 2005, 12:29 PM
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17407