Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat breed question.

lilith_rizel
July 16th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Ok, my friend brought her kitten over here to show me her. One of her relatives said that all balck and white cats are siamese, is that true? And also that all siamese like to claw everything. I can't imagine that being true at all. I can post a picture of the kitty, if you guys want......

Mockingcat
July 17th, 2005, 01:16 AM
All black and white aren't Siamese... heck, all Siamese aren't even black and white! There are lilac and flame pointed Siamese too. :) I don't think anyone would consider a "tux" cat (the black with white bib) to be Siamese. As for them scratching more, I'd never heard it, but I can't imagine it'd be true. They are more vocal however, and in general love to "talk". :)

raingirl
July 17th, 2005, 10:41 AM
My BIL's family showed and bred siamese cats for years! When I was a kid (maybe 5 or so) we would go over to his parents house and see the new kittens (my sister is 15 years older than me, so that's why she was married when I was still so little). That was when I found out I was allergic to cats, because I got scratched up so much and all them turned into huge welts!! I was told after that they are the scratchiest cats of all. THese kittens were climbing the curtains, walls, furniture, everything!

Safyre
July 17th, 2005, 01:58 PM
I've heard that they can be more destructive and vocal than other cats.
But no, not all black/whie cats are siamese. Thats absurd.

Lucky Rescue
July 17th, 2005, 02:44 PM
THese kittens were climbing the curtains, walls, furniture, everything!

All kittens do this. Every one I ever had did it, and the Siamese was no worse than any other. They were all equally rotten.:p

lilith_rizel
July 17th, 2005, 03:59 PM
I didn't think so. Here is a picture of the kittie in question.... crazy little thing, that's for sure. She is so energetic, glad she was over just for a visit!!!!

CyberKitten
July 17th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Now, now Lucky, quitpicking on the Siamese, lol (I know you're joking - so am I, :crazy: )

Lilith, your friend is very wrong and incorrect. Siamese have VERY specific characteristics and MUST have colour points, certain behaviours - that they yes, share with some other breeds ;) -, tend to have svelte bodies unless they are the larger Appleheads favoured when Siamese first became popular in North America (say from 1920's-1960's). The most well known colour point are the Seal Points (like my baby YY) but blue points have also been accepted for some time by cat fancy groups.

There was quite a controversy in having the registries accept the otherpoints - tho chocolate point is now well accepted. Others, like flame point, lilac point, etc are accepted by some groups, not by others. BUT a jellicle cat that is simply black and white - unless s/he has some Siamese mix in her - is NOT Siamese. A picture would he helpful but I doubt this litty is Siamese.

Siamese are hardly alone in climbing curtains. YY has never tried it but then she is such a well mannered little diva :crazy: - she just breaks the occasional teapot and climbs to the top of the TV stand, lol

To suggest a black and white cat is a Siamese is not at all correct. This kitty MIGHT be a tuxedo cat tho (NOT a breed, just a colour combo) unless s/he has some points that are quite defining indicating maybe some Siamese in her?

Oops, just saw the pict - she is a tuxedo kitty. Cute but no, NOT Siamese.

Freyja
July 17th, 2005, 04:04 PM
This cat is so NOT Siamese. We had a Siamese when I was growing up, lived to be 22 years old. Crazy, beautiful cat. She was cross eyed, loved to talk. Drove my Dad crazy so much he threatened to have the cat de-voiced (calm down, he never would have!) She loved to be with us and her favourite place was a lap. She also ruined a sofa, was taken away from her mum too early (I think we got her from a Siamese rescue foster home) and she liked to chew sweaters. I wish I had a picture of her to show you. We called her Ming.

lilith_rizel
July 17th, 2005, 04:05 PM
If I could, I would post the little video I took of kitty, and show you what she does. My friend had me laughing, when she brought her over here, and she started up her little act.......

Freyja
July 17th, 2005, 04:07 PM
This is not Ming, Ming was long before digital cameras, there is a picture of her in an old photoalbum here somewhere....(there goes Jane lost in memory land)

lilith_rizel
July 17th, 2005, 04:09 PM
I will be sure to tell my friend that her relative was wrong. She didn't think it was true either. She is a cute kitty though. Really little though. She is 9 months, and tiny..... But I guess the mamma was small too.

CyberKitten
July 17th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Awww! Ming is a lovely Seal Point! Your friend's kitty is cute too Lilith!

lilith_rizel
July 17th, 2005, 05:41 PM
That is a pretty siamese!!! You know, I didn't think that my friend's cat was siamese, but I figured that I would ask, as there are things that I don't know, and that could have been one of them.

Anyways, the kitty's name is Baka, it's Japanese, I guess.....

amber416
July 17th, 2005, 10:46 PM
awww, i love tuxedo kitties, they are so cute...she reminds me of my "foster" Kat. Kat is about seven months, formerly feral, and also quite crazy. She gets into things and up onto things that i never thought would be possible :)
Doesn't Baka mean absurd or crazy or something like that in Japan?

Here is my Kat...

lilith_rizel
July 18th, 2005, 05:38 PM
My friend ( not the one that owns Baka) said it means idiot, or words similar, also crazy..... so I guess it kinda does fit her. Not saying she is an idiot, but she is crazy. LOL

I LOVE the Tux cats too. Glad to know that is what they are...... Baka is over here again today. I have her from time to time, to visit with my sisters cats, who I call my own...... :D We may end up keeping them, if my sister doesn't find a home within the next couple years. Fine with me. We have only had them since April, and I am already VERY attatched to them.

You know, and I go and build a kitty gym for my sister's cats, and I haven't seen them use it once!!!! :rolleyes: But, Baka can't get enough of it, when she is here. It is nice though, because if I ever have to watch her for a weekend or something, she will stay occupied with it.