Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please help, my pup has terrible skin irritation.

iain
July 16th, 2005, 09:51 PM
I need help with my beloved pet dog Martha. I adopted her from a shelter three years ago and since then she and I have been inseperable. She is a spayed female lab/beagle mix and has regular check ups at the vet. She has had all of her shots and takes monthly heartworm pills and up to now her health has been very good indeed.

About six weeks ago she started to scratch herself far more than usual. At first I thought it may be fleas ( even though I treat her regularly) and I took her to the vet. The vet checked her for fleas and gave her the all clear.

He then told me that she may have an allergy and prescribed Chlorpheniramine and Cephalexin. She completed the course of both of these medications with no effect on her condition. I applied a cortizone spray, but this too did little good. There have been no changes recently in her diet or environment, so I am at a loss as to what could cause her condition.

Things are now getting worse. She seems to be in great distress and cries as she desperately tries to scratch herself by rubbing her lower back against furniture.

She seems to be bothered in various parts of her body, but particularly in the lower back area just where the tail meets the torso. I have checked her for signs of insect bites or rashes, but the only thing I can find is a very small inflamed area near her tail. I am pretty sure that this is recent as I did not notice it before. She has also started losing her fur on the inside of her hind legs and in her genital area.

Martha is my best friend and it causes me a great deal of anxiety to see her in such discomfort. Any suggestions or advice would be most welcome.

Luba
July 16th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Could be anything...really

Anything change in the house floors, carpeting anything chemical used on the floors to clean??

A bug bite can trigger a systemic allergic reaction causing itching and hives all over. However antihystamines should have helped this.

Until you consult with the vet again I would if it were my dog take her off her dog food and start feeding her fresh foods and add flax seed oil to her food.

It could be a reaction to anything, even a vaccine.

Check this thread out as well,
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17077