Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Humane muzzles/training to accept muzzle

Luan
July 16th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Hello;

I am searching for training information that can assist owners of dogs that must be muzzled in accordance with the Breed Specific Legislation taking effect in Ontario, Canada on August 29, 2005. I am very concerned that little is being done to educate people in humane and positive methods of training their dog to accept the muzzle, and that many innocent dogs will be turned over to shelters and killed simply because they were not taught to accept the required muzzle.

Also, I am seeking information on the various types of muzzles available, and which ones are actually suitable for long trem use. Many of the cloth muzzles that enclose the entire mouth and do not allow the dog to pant or drink seem to be designed for short-term use, such as grooming and vet visits. They would pose a health risk if left on for prolonged periods would they not? Besides the basket style muzzles, are there other styles that could be comfortably worn in public as required by this misguided breed-specific legislation?

Thank you,
Luan

Lucky Rescue
July 17th, 2005, 09:59 AM
The cloth muzzles that keep the mouth closed cannot be used except for brief periods, such as on a dog who needs one to allow a vet to give a shot, etc.

A dog would die with this type muzzle that doesn't allow panting.

A basket muzzle is your best bet, as far as I know. Racing greyhounds wear them nearly continuously.

To teach the dog to accept it, start small. Let the dog see and smell it first. Slip it on for one second and treat and praise the dog. Go as fast or slow as necessary to get the dog to calmly accept it. Let him know that wearing it means treats and walks!

I am SO sorry you and your dog are being put through this insanity and being treated like a criminal for no reason at all.:(

twodogsandacat
July 17th, 2005, 12:11 PM
This question KEEPS coming up. Maybe it could be a sticky (now that I know what a sticky is).

Here are two links to threads asking this question already.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=12721
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15725

I am SO sorry you and your dog are being put through this insanity and being treated like a criminal for no reason at all.:(

Ditto. The only postive thing about the approaching deadline it that the appeal can be launched.

Even the Attorney General's Website implies that they had no right to do this.

8. Do I have to register my pit bull?

There is no provincial plan for dog registration as animal control is a municipal responsibility. You should license and register your dog in compliance with requirements set by your local municipality.

http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/about/pubs/dola-pubsfty/dola-pubsfty.asp#TOC_15

But I digress…..

Luan
July 17th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Actually, I do not share my life with any breeds that are yet being threatened by this legislation, although I am seriously in love with a few Staffordshire Bull Terriers I know! I am not a professional dog trainer. I am involved in Border Collie Rescue, and have used muzzles on occassions when I have had a foster dog in that is chasing and nipping and needs to learn to control that, as herding breeds are prone to do it if their instinct is not shaped and directed into something appropriate. Basket muzzles can be quite difficult to find, and in the past I have had to rely on the closer-fitting mesh ones, but they seriously restrict the amount of exercise a dog can have, as they cannot pant well while wearing them. Border Collies have a lot of energy to burn!

Having had these experiences with muzzles, and locating (or not being able to find) the correct ones, maybe gives me some insight into the problems that Bully owners and their pets are going to be experiencing very soon. My heart aches for them. What I am trying to do is collect more information about humane muzzle training and acquisition/availability of suitable (basket-type) muzzles, and looking for ways of making it available to the general public accross this Province, so they have this information and can act on it. So far I have found or been referred to a few good websites, www.awesomedogs.ca has a great article, and www.sniksnak.com also has a good one.

I urge everyone across Ontario to raise awareness, make people think about this and ask for answers, from local training schools, Animal Control Centres and pet supply stores, most of whom are not carrying suitable equipment or a full range of sizes (most only carry the grooming style) or supplying enough to address the demand.

How many dogs will be turned over to shelters on or after August 29th simply because their owners could not locate or acclimatize a suitable muzzle? Too many people seem to be adopting a "wait and see" attitude, and it will be the dogs that suffer when they are caught out.

So that's where I am coming from.

Hug your dogs for me,
Luan
Toronto

Lucky Rescue
July 17th, 2005, 01:41 PM
You can find muzzles to order at this Canadian company:
http://www.canvasbackpets.com/ShopSite/page2.html

Scroll down to 'Net Muzzles" which apparently allow panting and drinking.