Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Favourite toys as a kid?

Britishvixen21
July 16th, 2005, 06:52 PM
We are at the inlaws this weekend to cool off and breathe some fresh air away from the smog. We stay in HB old room and he still has old toys down there. we found his old Lego last night, and had great fun building a house and car LOL ( hey its good to be a kid again albeit for an hour) and we sat talking about all the toys we had as a kid. and wondered what you guys played with.

I remember having Barbie EVERYTHING and i mean everything. I had the house, the camper, the porche, the swimming pool, all the furniture, every barbie going (even the pregnant one, anyone remember that?) and my bedroom was all barbie, wallpaper, bed spread, pink dressers. (yes i was pretty spoilt!)

and I remember my little pony and care bears and last but not least cabbage patch kids, I had five of those little suckers even an african american one.

What was your fav toy as a kid.

Safyre
July 16th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Rainbow Brite Dolls, Etch-e-Sketch, Jump Ropes, and my gymnastic mats :)

Edit: I have to do it people ...
You're a true '80s child if..........
Snap bracelets were always getting you in trouble at school.

You played with "My Little Ponies."

Friendship bracelets were ties that couldn't be broken.

You ever read Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, The Babysitters Club, or Sweet
Valley High

You know all the words to "Ice Ice Baby."

You wanted to be The Hulk for Halloween.

You wanted to be on Jim'll Fix It

You can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before he had plastic
surgery.

You wore a banana clip or one of those slap-on wrist bands at Some
point...or heaven forbid one of those T-shirt rings on one side during your
youth.

You wore multiple pairs of socks in the middle of the summer just so you could
be "hip."

You had slouch socks and puff painted your own shirt at least once.

You know the profound meaning of "Wax on, Wax off."

You were upset when She-ra, Princess of Power, and He-Man got cancelled.

You can remember watching Full House and Saved by the Bell for endless
hours, back when they were new episodes.

You have seen at least 10 episodes of Fraggle Rock.

You know someone who appeared on Wac-a-day.

You know where to go if you "wanna go where everybody knows your name."

You wanted to be a Goonie.

You remember Madonna in her cone stage.

You knew "The Artist" when he was humbly called "Prince."

You even wore flourescent-neon clothing...

You could breakdance, or wished you could.

You remember when ATARI was a state of the art video game System.

You remeber M.C. Hammer.

You can still sing the rap to "Fresh Prince of Bel Air....

You remember when it was Jazzy Jeff and the FreshPrince and NOT Will Smith!

You own any cassettes.

You carried your lunch to school in a Gremlins or an ET lunchbox.

You have ever pondered why Smurfette was the ONLY female smurf

My Little Pony, Gummy Bears and Transformers are familiar to you.

You ever had a Swatch Watch.

You wore a plastic tennis viser all summer.

You had Wonder Woman or Superman undies.

You believed that "By the power of Greyskull, you HAD the power!"

You thought that Transformers were more than meets the eye.

You spent hours building Lego toys

Big wheels and BMX's were the way to go.

With your pink (or blue) portable tape player, you sang back Up to Kylie and
Jason!

"Party like it's 1999" seemed SO far away!!

You wore acid washed jeans

Sported at least one tye dyed shirt

Jean cutoffs, or cut sweathsirts seemed -really-cool

Scooters were in

If you ever made Ken fall in love with Barbie

If you can identify with at least half of these, you are a true Child of the 80's!!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 16th, 2005, 08:12 PM
My little ponies are all the rage again,

and my kids ages four and seven are right into power rangers and transformers.

My favorite things I remember when I was a kid in the 70's the same era as the show.

Was my tether ball pole, and my pogo stick, my bike with the banana seat and the big handle bars.

I also spend my saturday nights at Bumpers a teen disco and danced the night away to Rah Rah rasputin.

Also slime in a can and mad magazine.

Karin
July 16th, 2005, 09:05 PM
I loved my Slinky. I grew up with very few toys, I always had clay and paints of different kinds so I made my own toys. I never had a doll of any sorts, Barbie dolls and all others were foreign to me. This really became a problem when my daughter came of age to have them, I could not relate at all. I made my own fun as a kid, I was free, outdoorsy type with no toys.
I did have fishing rods and tackle, tanks, regulator, mask, flippers, speargun and and endless credit line at the bait store next door when I was a kid.
To this day I always have my gear packed & ready to go, I salvaged all of it after the accident....to hell with the rest.

It must be in my genes...

Britishvixen21
July 16th, 2005, 09:38 PM
OMG safyre i am so a child of the eighties, my hb and i downloaded some episodes of Fraggle rock to see if it was as cool as we remembered and it was! we even downloaded the theme song and could sing along LMFAO!!

Does anyone remember the ball with the plastic ring around it, and you had to step on it and jump, a little like the pogo stick, I would go for miles on that thing.

My mum banned slime in a can, on account of me and my brother seeing who could get it stick better to the couch

Joey.E.CockersMommy
July 16th, 2005, 10:05 PM
sillyputty I slept with it once and it got all stuck in my hair, my mom cut it out and I had a big balled spot for weeks until it grew back! :o

Safyre
July 16th, 2005, 10:55 PM
British- I know the thing you are talking about .. the skipper, or skip'n'nstep or something like that...

Rick C
July 16th, 2005, 11:20 PM
In the 1960's, we were pretty poor in a small, dusty prairie town of less than 2000 people . . . . . and I had a bike and a ball glove which is just about all you need in a summer in a place like that.

I'd always get a summer pass to the pool but we couldn't afford hockey in the winter.

Because my birthday is December 21, I remember getting a model airplane for my birthday and the glue was part of my Christmas gifts!!!

Thanks for bringing up these hellish memories!! :yuck: :clown:

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
July 17th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Where do you download fraggle rock? I'd love to see a couple!!!

As for my favorite toy... I didn't have many, but my favorite is my stuffed penguin, Pengy. I had the Granny Bear carebear too, but she had a wooly scarf thing and it always made me itchy.

Something on that list that's missing is Gloworms. Remember those? They had little rubbery bugs or you could buy the big plush one with the flashlight in its belly?

toby's tracy
July 17th, 2005, 11:23 AM
...remember slime?

raingirl
July 17th, 2005, 11:37 AM
British, I think you are talking about a pogo-ball. I still have mine. It's silver with a green rim. I love it. Great exercise when I was a kid (wouldn't get on it now or it would break!)

http://www.hawaii.edu/gbsa/images/officers/pogoball.jpg

Safyre
July 17th, 2005, 01:13 PM
ooh, i went back and read the descrip from British ... yes, rainGirl is right.
lmao, one of my friends still has one anda bout 2 years ago we were playing on it all around the park (yes, that woulda made me 21 yrs old playing on a pogo ball. IT WAS FUN!!)

Freyja
July 17th, 2005, 03:31 PM
I am a 70s girl too, Barbies for sure but also Tiny Tears who drank from a bottle and then cried real tears and wet her diaper. Anyone remember Chrissie and Velvet, they had growing hair. And there where those miniature dolls, looked like Barbies but only about 8in tall. Candy...Lik-a-stick, what where those straws filled with powder?

My kids spend hours on the trampoline. I have tried it and like it but I only have one word for the uninitiated....kegels!!

CyberKitten
July 17th, 2005, 03:38 PM
I always seemed to prfer toys that were alledgedly for boys, lol A chemistry lab set, a biology one - complete with crayfish and frog -, a woodburning set, an erector building set and while my mom was not keen on getting us Barbies, my grandfather ddid so we had more dolls!! A friend of my gram's worked for Mattal so we had so MUCH Barbie stuff, it was insane! One of the best gifts I ever rec'd as a child was a tiny transistor radio!!! I've always been a gadget person I guess.

I liked Chatty Cathy - that really shows my age, lol

I keep lego in my office - it seems to be gender neutral and all kids like it. (from 2-19, lol) I also have some slinkies, (you can get them in many colours at the Dollar Store - as a child, mine was silver), silly putty, talking books, but I also have an old Game Boy in my office for kids who get really bored. I am amazws (tho should not be, I suppose) at the number of mkids who arrived with their own electronic toys. And yep, some of that Barbie stuff I had as a child has found its way to my office. It all holds up well. I also have a few spirograph sets and an e (cannot think of the name - looks like a TV set but you draw lines ojn it, shake it to start anew, ???)

melanie
July 17th, 2005, 05:35 PM
'stop, collaborate and listen, ice is back with a brand new invention' lol lol bahahahahahahahah oh yeah vanilla ice ice baby........ :D oh man we were so not cool kids for sure :D :D

barbie everything, and care bears and pogo ball, and ice magic, and fraggle rock, we used to sing a really dirty song about fraggles when i was a kid, oh dear me what stupid children we were.

cabbage patch, i had two, their heads melted one day in the hot car while we wre shopping. well i was mortified, 'oh no my babies', so mum took them home and put them in the freezer... well the plastic turned a green shade upon refreezing and they stayed green forever, mum still has them and said she would bring them up for my dog charlie who looovvveeesss dolliesss.....

ah i had live toys, yes live.... i was a stupid child :eek: , i had several chickens for pets and toys, they were all mine and we spent every spare mionute together... you can have live toys cant you???

dad worked in a sci lab at the time so he would bring home testtubes for me (i knew back then science was for me). well i would set up a lab in the chick shed, i would collect worms, and put lots of soapy solutions in my test tubes. i would slice the worms open (i was convinced they were sick) :o and the i would sew them up, i would then put them in the soap to see if it helped them, then i would feed to me chickens the dead worms (non ever survived)... so that was my type of toy...kept me amused for years..... yes they were great players......

ah to have lots of toys again, i miss all those play hours :o

CyberKitten
July 17th, 2005, 07:09 PM
It's etch a sketch - it just occured to me, That toy I have in my office. A new one - NOT mine that I had a child. God knows where that went! Of course, ALL I really need in my waiting room is a computer that is online - http://www.etchasketch.com/html/onlineetch.htm :crazy:

Freyja
July 18th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Cool, on line etch a sketch, we used to take ours on long drives, pukeville!!!

doggy lover
July 18th, 2005, 12:38 PM
I was a tomboy and had tonka trucks, they are worth money now. I also had a golly-wog doll, they are collectors items too. I guess I might be a collectors item at my age.

Britishvixen21
July 18th, 2005, 12:52 PM
How could I have forgotten Etch a Sketch and Glow Worms!!! they rocked!!

I also had a science kit with a telescope, microscope and slides with bugs in them.

I think we used Kazaa for fraggle rock but any download software would work I guess.

And that pic is exactly what I had. LOL

PS: Gollywogs were banned in england, they were deemed rascist.

pags
July 18th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Wow I've never seen a pogo ball before!! I learn so much here. :D

Uh.. I loved my bike and my mickey mouse radio.
I hated Barbie - but I had my sisters' hand me downs anyway... I used the camper to transport my model horses. :p
I, too, was a Tonka truck girl. My favorite was this huge blue blazer thing.. I still have it!! And it's still in perfect condition after many years of loving abuse. Man they don't make 'em like they used to!!! Hmm.. Lots of matchbox cars...

Oh and *blush* nobody mentioned Sea Monkeys. :D I know they're technically not toys.. but tell that to a four year old at the time!! I always had colonies of Sea Monkeys. Tons of them. And I was honestly the only kid anyone ever knew who actually raised them to adult shrimphood!! My friends all thought it was a hoax and that nothing ever happened.. til they saw mine! Sigh. I miss my Sea Monkeys. They didn't have the little crowns and stuff like they showed on the package -- but I did name all of mine!!

Safyre
July 18th, 2005, 01:08 PM
The online Etch a Sketch isn't as fun, i could do curves on the real thing .. adn you don't getr that satisfying sound.
Or maybe I'm just nuts

pags
July 18th, 2005, 01:41 PM
The online Etch a Sketch isn't as fun, i could do curves on the real thing .. adn you don't getr that satisfying sound.
Or maybe I'm just nuts

I agree Saf... It's the curves that are missing...
But the online bubble wrap is okay:

http://www.virtual-bubblewrap.com/popnow.shtml

Uh does bubble wrap count as a toy?

Dogastrophe
July 18th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Not counting my Tonka trucks (the real ones with sharp metal corners that would tear your fingers open if you didn't pay attention), and hotwheels cars and track, the one toy that I still remember quite well was a Lone Ranger action figure (basically a G I Joe in a Lone Ranger outfit). I bought it when I was about 5 or 6 with money I was saving while on a family vacation to Maine. I'm really not sure what happened to him but he may have succumbed to a BB related illness, along with my GI Joe's, when I was about 12.

I have recently received a 1950s American Flyer train set that was at my grandfather's house (it used to be my father's set) which I played with all the time when I was growing up. I've been searching the out of the way corners of my grandfather's place for an old marble hockey game (Lee Valley sells the components to replicate the game), but the prevailing thought is that he either threw it out or gave it away to his former neighbour's kids.

CyberKitten
July 18th, 2005, 02:44 PM
The cats love bubblewrap, lol

Copper'sMom
July 18th, 2005, 02:54 PM
You wore a banana clip or one of those slap-on wrist bands at Some
point...or heaven forbid one of those T-shirt rings on one side during your
youth.

Hey what's wrong with banana clips?????? I'm wearing one right now!!!! LOL Yes, I love my banana clip!!!

Great list Safyre! Vanilla Ice.............. I LOVED Robert VanWinkle or whatever his name is! I saw him in concert!! :o Oh and don't forget about New Kids on the Block!!

I wanted a Cabbage Patch Kid sooo bad! My Mom couldn't afford to buy me one when they were "in" but I did get one eventually! A premie - her name was Lucinda! :crazy:

My favorite toy though, would have been my Yellow bear "Bearsy." I still have it!! I took him everywhere!!! He looks a little ragged these days, but I just can't part with him!! He's actually older than me, because he belonged to my oldest brother who never showed any interest in him. His loss!! LOL

kandy
July 18th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Candy...Lik-a-stick, what where those straws filled with powder?

I believe those are called Pixie stics and I just saw them somewhere. I didn't know that they still made em!

My favorite toys were my bike and my one lone barbie doll. My mom couldn't afford all the other things (the house, the car, her friends, etc) but she and her sister scraped together the money for one when I was in the hospital as a child. As an older child, I think my favorite thing was my portable 8-track player in the shape of a dynamite plunger - I know - that just dated me really bad, didn't it! LOL

melanie
July 18th, 2005, 06:28 PM
oh i forgot the barbie horse, now that really was my fav toy, i used to sit on that little horse for hours pretending to be riding..... my neice got one the other day, wow the memories...

hey did you guys have stilts, my dad used to make them for us, i loved my stilts and wore them everywhere.....

and although not a toy, did any of you ever have those cindi lauper fingerless lace gloves, now that was the true fashion item for me during the 80's....that and bubblegum jeans and billowy short layerd skirst (dont remember what they were called)....

oh boy, i miss my toys

Karin
July 18th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Uh does bubble wrap count as a toy?

Of course! I forgot about bubble wrap....but I think this is classified as a compulsive disordor of mine, give me a gift packaged in bubble wrap and I snap!

Mobshah
June 1st, 2006, 08:30 AM
British, I dont know if you know that those Pogo Balls are still around...

I bought one from http://www.BeBodySmart.com

and I am very happy with it. And it is cheap too.

Nabeeha

Rick C
June 1st, 2006, 08:46 AM
Favourite toys as a kid?

Dirt.

We were pretty poor. . . .

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

doggy lover
June 1st, 2006, 08:51 AM
Rick you sound like my hubby, he said he use to tie a porkchop bone around his neck so that the neighbours dog would play with him. They were to poor to afford toys or their own dog.:D

badger
June 1st, 2006, 08:56 AM
A little red metal pedal car, bulky and awkward, no brakes. Wish I still had it, rusted out or not.

rainbow
June 1st, 2006, 12:14 PM
British, I dont know if you know that those Pogo Balls are still around...

I bought one from http://www.BeBodySmart.com

and I am very happy with it. And it is cheap too.

Nabeeha

I don't know if the original poster is still around....her post is almost a year old. :D

Mom and Dad could never afford to buy us kids much. The only real toy I had was a doll that my favourite uncle gave me and I shared with my sister. I kept it for years and finally just gave it to one of my nieces that collects old dolls.

erykah1310
June 1st, 2006, 02:02 PM
Popples y'all!!!!! LOL I had 12 of them!!!
Barbies, My little Ponies, Pooch Patrol dogs (entire collection), Pound puppies( including the one that you stuffed little ones in and she was preggo LOL)
Umm, what else did i play with?????......
Oh ya!, The real tonka trucks, and those real babies ( newborn ones, i cant remember what they were called) Cabbage patch dolls( with the double stroller), a little barn with a bunch of horses and fencing and trees, Care Bears and Care Bear Cousins, LEGOS!!! and K'nex.
I think thats all???
My favorite shows were
Thunder Cats
Care Bears
and Flipper and Lassie ( Nickelodeon LOL)
And Music MADONNA all the way followed by Tiffany, and Wilson Phillips!!! Oh Yeah " Hold on for one more day!!, I know that there is pain but ya hold on for one more day and you , break free right from the pain!! " LOL

Oh the good ol days!! LOL:D

Prin
June 1st, 2006, 02:17 PM
I don't know if the original poster is still around....her post is almost a year old. :D
I doubt it- she's a "banned user". ;)

My fav toy is my stuffed penguin. Uh.. was. My favorite toy WAS...:o :angel:

erykah1310
June 1st, 2006, 02:35 PM
My fav toy is my stuffed penguin. Uh.. was. My favorite toy WAS..
Sure sure Prin, LOL, you still love your stuffed Penguin, Heck my pooch patrols are still in my room :o

LibbyP
June 1st, 2006, 02:40 PM
I had and Opsy Daisy (wrong spelling) she was filled with sand and had a cloth body her eyes opened and closed and if you sat her just right she would sit up until she fell over opsy daisy, I kept her all these years (which is many,many) I gave her to my daughter acouple weeks ago and she really liked her I was so proud but...... we went out and Daisy was sitting on the sofa, came home to a big fat mess, sand freaking everywhere darn dog she's moved onto better things than Barbie:mad:

Prin
June 1st, 2006, 02:56 PM
Sure sure Prin, LOL, you still love your stuffed Penguin, Heck my pooch patrols are still in my room :o
Yeah, he's in my room too. Good ol' Pengy.:D

joeysmama
June 1st, 2006, 04:01 PM
I loved my baby dolls, and Barbies too for a while. But mostly I loved to play house. And ride my bike. And SWIM-- but that's not really a toy is it. Can I list the swimming hole or my aunts pool as toys ??

OK--I'll show my age. Let's see, Colorforms were pretty new on the market I think. Etch a sketch too. Parcheesi wasn't new but it was pretty popular at my house. Chinese jump rope.

OH !! EASY BAKE OVEN !! How could I forget that. And newborn Thumbelina. Baby Tender Love.

Klick klacks were really popular when I was in junior high but I was afraid of them. My mother told me I'd put my eye out and I believed her !

glasslass
June 1st, 2006, 04:11 PM
I have recently received a 1950s American Flyer train set that was at my grandfather's house (it used to be my father's set) which I played with all the time when I was growing up.

We COLLECT American Flyer train sets from between 1953 and 1958, the knuckle-couple era! Which set do you have?

Hula hoops, jacks, metal roller-skates (with a key), pop-beads, my stuffed monkey "Chico", Terri-Lee doll, water pistol (NOW I have a super-blaster!:evil: ), rubberband gun, and Pick-Up-Stix. I've dated myself too!

jesse's mommy
June 1st, 2006, 05:52 PM
I was all about the big wheel! It was my favorite and I went everywhere with it. I was hella-cool! :cool:

Frenchy
June 1st, 2006, 07:01 PM
Ahhh Cartman! My favorite was my easy bake oven that was past on by my older sister (the green yucky one) and the barbies...I used to watch my father when he shaved his face.So one day,I took his razor and shaved all my barbies :eek: my mom wasn't happy about that!Even tried to shave their legs but the paint came off.I used to destroy my toys just to see what was inside.

rainbow
June 1st, 2006, 07:13 PM
Glasslass, I remember having a hula hoop and jacks. And the roller skates with the key....my sister and I had to share a pair. :D

Stacer
June 3rd, 2006, 03:02 PM
does anyone remember gimp? We used to make all sorts of bracelets, keychains and necklaces out of it. And making friendship pins out of safety pins and beads to put on your shoelaces. My sister had a glow worm and popples, I had tons of girly stuff that I had gotten as gifts ie: my little pony, barbie, cabbage patch kids, get in shape girl. but I always liked my brother's toys better. He had the whole He-Man collection, which I loved (then my parents got me the She-Ra toys and we would fight the forces of evil together as brother and sister just like He-Man and She-Ra). Definitely lots of Lego and tinkertoys, megablocks, spirograph, Uno. So many cool things, none of them electronic in any way (until we got Nintendo, and that was the end of us using our imaginations)!:sad:

Dogastrophe
June 4th, 2006, 07:33 PM
We COLLECT American Flyer train sets from between 1953 and 1958, the knuckle-couple era! Which set do you have?

The set is a 1956 model - #303 Engine & tender, also have the refer car, coal dump, caboose, and two or three others, plus an English Station kit. I am still waiting to clear a space in my basement to put it back together (the set has not seen the track in about 15+/- years).

glasslass
June 4th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Sounds like you have the Black Diamond Freight Set. Does it have the walking brakeman?

mummummum
June 4th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Favourite toys as a kid?

Dirt.

We were pretty poor. . . .

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Wow...you got dirt. Lucky.

Seriously though - dirt was the best. I'm sure I had toys - I have pictures of me at Christmas and B-days opening prezzies ergo there MUST have been toys. My most vivid memories are all about tree forts and roaming through forests, chasing through nose high meadows, playing Mother-may-I, dodgeball, Tag and It in the middle of a thunder-boomers. Swimming. Camping out. Spin-the-bottle when I got a little older...

Dogastrophe
June 5th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Sounds like you have the Black Diamond Freight Set. Does it have the walking brakeman?

Yes, though he is armless. My brother and I were not too nice to him when we were young :crazy: