Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chocolate Stained Cat!

JDG
July 16th, 2005, 03:32 PM
We are having friends from Ontario visit tomorrow, and I thought I'd be all domestic and make chocolate cupcakes.

Marty was in the kitchen with me, following me around, as per usual.

Anyways - I was mixing the batter, I turned around to the sink to rinse off the spoon I was using and yup. . . you guessed it. . . I steped on him.

Well he let out a yelp and I dropped the spoon (which was, as Murphy's Law would suggest covered in batter)

The batter seemed attracted to Marty, and he seem to get the brunt of the blow.

I quickly wiped off all the chocolate with a water damp cloth. (I know chocolate is bad for animals)

Anyways about 20 minutes his fur was dry - and I could still see stains on his fur!!

I brought him to the bathroom and with a water damp cloth and Dove soap rubbed at the stains. I rinsed him and let him dry again.

Stains were still there!

I got another water damp cloth, this time I used Dawn dish soap. I felt a round of Macbeth with a 'Out damn spot, out I say!' coming on. I scrubed his fur, rinsed him and let him dry.

And thats where I am now.

I can still see the stains!!!

Any suggestions for getting chocolate stains out of cats??????? :confused:

pags
July 16th, 2005, 03:51 PM
ROFL Okay -- I don't know if cat stains are different or not.... but..

You may not believe this but I'll tell my story anyway. Thursday morning I was up too late and bleary eyed when I went out for Judge's bathroom time... When we got back in I decided I would grab my late-night snack glass from my desk and bring it into the kitchen with us to wash while Judge ate breakfast. On the way into the kitchen I was having trouble navigating through the doorway and closing the pocket door at the same time as my hands were full and puppy was underfoot. Okay so I stepped on a paw and the puppy yelped... So I immediately bent down to check his paws and see what damage I had done. I wasn't paying attention to the glass in my hand at the time and after a couple of seconds I panicked to see Judge covered in some gooey brown substance... Took my foggy morning brain a couple minutes to realize he was not dying but the chocolate left in the bottom of my chocolate milk glass had dripped out all over my puppy while I was leaning over.

Like you - I rushed to wipe the excess off before puppy started licking it off himself.. and finally got him into the tub after cleaning the floor. Rinsing with water did not work at all.. puppy bath left stains and he was looking a little monochromatic once he dried. :D I finally got him looking shiny and new with a warm bath using Johnson's Baby Shampoo. Don't know if it'll work for you and kitty and batter... but it did okay with puppy and chocolate milk mix!

Kinda weird to be on the same page with ya JDG. Cosmic. :p

JDG
July 16th, 2005, 05:29 PM
I finally got him looking shiny and new with a warm bath using Johnson's Baby Shampoo. Don't know if it'll work for you and kitty and batter... but it did okay with puppy and chocolate milk mix!

Kinda weird to be on the same page with ya JDG. Cosmic. :p


Hummm. . ..baby shampoo, eh?? I'll give that one a go. I'm certainly counting my blessing that Marty likes water! 4 times being wet down in one day is alot!

Thanks Pags! I'm certainly feeling much better knowing someone else has been in the same sticky (chocolate) circumstance!

CyberKitten
July 17th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Give her a small bath with Dawn detergant! The chocolate should copme off - you do not need to immerse her in water, just spread the Dawn on the spot in question and then wash it off.

JDG
July 17th, 2005, 05:17 PM
CyberKitten, I tried Dawn the first day! :(

The stains have naturally lifted. . . I can't see them now. :)