Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

loose puppy teeth

toby's tracy
July 16th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Hello - for the past day or so, I have noticed a big loose tooth in Toby's mouth - one of those big molars at the side, on the bottom, slightly towards the back.

Yesterday there was a little blood, but today it just seems to be loose, no blood.

My question is---do you help your puppies when you see a loose tooth by trying to yank it out (it's really loose, hanging on by one corner) or do you just let it fall out on its own?

It just seems to be such a big tooth, I'm wondering if it might cause some damage if he swallows it. We know he has lost other teeth but haven't found any around yet...so there is a pretty big likelihood that he just gobbles them up (like everything else he finds on the floor :p ).

Luba
July 16th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Give him something to chew on some ice or a wet frozen face cloth and even a raw beef bone (knuckle bone) the ice will cool and sooth

I wouldn't worry about anything I'm sure my dog swallowed some of hers, though I kept some too! :D

You may find a blob of blood on your floor or something. Some dogs freak out and run around the house not knowing what happened to them and usually end up in their safe place ie the sofa or your bed with a goobery bloody mouth.

Always looks like there is more blood because it's mixed with saliva :D

toby's tracy
July 16th, 2005, 12:11 PM
I wouldn't worry about anything I'm sure my dog swallowed some of hers, though I kept some too! :D

I'm searching all over the place for one each time he seems to have a new space in his mouth! My boyfriend thinks I'm nuts, but I really want one of his puppy teeth (not my boyfriend's.... ;) )

And thanks for the suggestions...I'm off to put a wet cloth in the freezer for Toby!

Do you think the tooth thing is contributing to his increased, for lack of a better word, heebeejeebies, lately? Every once in a while he starts to run around the house or the backyard like a maniac! He'll be perfectly calm, chewing on his favourite chew toy or snoozing at my feet and then...wham! He's hit with a case of the nutter-butters (that's what I call him when he does the running around thing). :crazy:

Luba
July 16th, 2005, 02:50 PM
It could just be puppy behaviour they do tend to go mental at that stage and if you have a camcorder take the video you'll love to watch it later on!

Sometimes the taste of blood or a tooth falling out can make them act a little odd because they don't know what is happening.

The wet frozen cloth is a great idea and trust me the ice cubes are a BIG hit!

You can flavour them as well with a little garlic powder or make the frozen cubes with chicken / beef stock...say if you boil chicken for him or you...save the broth and freeze it into cubes BIG HUGE HIT!

Reduces the inflammation on the gums and takes the itch away. :D

Luba
July 16th, 2005, 02:52 PM
You're not alone... Sadie's LOL

Dogastrophe
July 16th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Do you think the tooth thing is contributing to his increased, for lack of a better word, heebeejeebies, lately? Every once in a while he starts to run around the house or the backyard like a maniac! He'll be perfectly calm, chewing on his favourite chew toy or snoozing at my feet and then...wham! He's hit with a case of the nutter-butters (that's what I call him when he does the running around thing). :crazy:

When Jack was losing his, he would toss his head from side to side, kind of prance sideways around the house, and smack his gums (making a tackity-tackity-tack sound). That was our give away that a tooth was soon to be found on the floor. We had to keep a step ahead of him to keep Lucy from pushing him out of the way and eating them. We have a little baggie full of teeth that we kept.

kandy
July 18th, 2005, 06:00 PM
We kept some of Lacey's puppy teeth, but I haven't found one of Hazel's to keep yet. I know that Hazel is teething right now because she wants to chew on everything! I give her lots of ice cubes and encourage her to chew on her teething keys, but we are still having to watch her really close because she'll chew on things she knows she's not supposed to! :p

toby's tracy
July 18th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Toby is chewing on all kinds of things...sometimes fingers and toes, usually his toys, but he likes the corners of boxes (I moved over a month ago...ok, almost 2 months ago and still have a few boxes hanging around... :o ) and any paper he can find. Today he went into my purse and took out all of the loose scraps of paper he could find. wierd.

Still haven't located any teeth...though the one I was worried about in my original post has disappeared! I hope I find at least one of his cute little teeth before they're all gone!

StaceyB
July 18th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Teething hurts, though I wouldn't suggest the ice cube. The problem with them is that they break up and may cut the inside of their mouth. If you have a rope bone, soak it and freeze it in either water or broth. You could even take a small hand towel tie some knots in it and soak/ freeze it (supervise). Check your puppys mouth daily through this time so you know what is happening in their mouth. It will help you to know when there is a problem and how long it has been there from broken teeth to double sets, having both puppy and adult teeth side by side. The adult tooth came in but hadn't lost the baby tooth. In these cases most of the time the adult tooth will eventually push out the baby one but sometimes it doesn't and will need to be extracted by a vet. You also want to watch for any kind of infection. Doing these daily checks will let you know how long something has been there and any changes to give you an idea of when there may be trouble. It will also make it easier to answer any questions your vet may ask if you have to bring them in.
Most of the time they swallow their teeth, never to be seen but sometimes you are lucky and find one on the floor. Get out all your puppy's favourite chew toys to make him/her feel better.

toby's tracy
July 19th, 2005, 07:31 AM
Thanks for all of the great tips! :thumbs up

We try to check out his mouth as much as possible. It's easier when the two of us are here and one can distract him. When it is just one of us it becomes a game for him - 'oh yeah, you want to look in my mouth? try!' :crazy:

Puppies can turn anything into a game, can't they? ;)

kandy
July 19th, 2005, 04:10 PM
I wouldn't suggest the ice cube. The problem with them is that they break up and may cut the inside of their mouth.

I have to say that I have never heard this before. I've always given my dogs ice cubes. I also eat lots of ice, and chew it up. I do know that you shouldn't chew ice because it can ruin the enamel on your teeth, but I've never heard of them cutting anyone. :confused:

I would be careful freezing a normal washcloth or any other fabric item not made for dogs as the dog could tear off and ingest pieces of the fabric and cause a blockage. Even rope bones can 'shed' strings that dogs can swallow.

Anyway, looking into Hazel's mouth when I am by myself is very challenging! She had a couple of teeth that we had been watching pretty close - she broke them about a month ago. The vet had told us not to worry about them unless the tooth turned black or if her gum turned black. One of them had fallen out a week or so ago, but until last night, we couldn't feel where anything was going to take its place. It feels like she'll have an adult fang after all! Hubby really wanted to pull one of her other fangs last night - it's really loose and he hasn't found any of her other teeth to save so I had to keep reminding him that he needs to let it fall out on its own. :p

toby's tracy
July 26th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Guess what?

I found a puppy tooth today!

Toby was playing with something and when I went to see...it was a little pointy tooth.

yay yay yay! :) :love: :)

pags
July 26th, 2005, 04:32 PM
LOL Congrats on finding a Toby tooth!!! :D I've been quietly cheering for you in your search all this time!!

Judge's teething has begun and nothing is safe! Nothing! We must wade through the chew toys on the kitchen floor.. but still if we turn to look the other way for half a second he sneaks off to the baby's room to steal a baby toy or two. :evil:

doggy lover
July 26th, 2005, 04:37 PM
I pulled out one of Tucker's that was really loose, and yes I have puppy teeth. I even have some of my last dogs he would be 10 and a half now. My kids teeth are in a dish too, one 18 the others 16 funny how you keep these things. My mum kept their umbilicle cords, I told her it was gross, but she was around when they lost them so she kept them. :eek:

Puppyluv
July 26th, 2005, 04:44 PM
congrats on the tooth!!! :thumbs up I wish I could have gotten one of Layla's before she swallowed, and *ahem* passed them... at which point I no longer wanted to keep them. :yuck:
ooooh and a treat you can give him to chew on (though it usually only lasts less than a minute) is frozen banana. Mmmmmmm :p

toby's tracy
July 26th, 2005, 10:59 PM
I wish I could have gotten one of Layla's before she swallowed, and *ahem* passed them... at which point I no longer wanted to keep them. :yuck:

yuckerama - no kidding!

ooooh and a treat you can give him to chew on (though it usually only lasts less than a minute) is frozen banana. Mmmmmmm :p

He will LOVE that! He adores bananas...the little monkey!

StaceyB
July 27th, 2005, 12:22 AM
I did mention in the earlier post to supervise when the puppies have objects like frozen knotted cloths, rope bones. I like the idea of the frozen banana. You can also use rawhide for chewing only, not for eating. Make sure it is large enough for your dog. They shouldn't be able to put their mouth around the end and they shouldn't have one for more than 20 min at a time. If they are very heavy chewers you may not be able to use them at all. Even though JRT's are small they should have the same size chewing objects as a Lab. I would suggest buying multi packs so you can keep them busy for longer than 20 min, just not on the same bone. This will also give you an opportunity to practice give, prevent resource guarding. Don't let them swallow it because it doesn't break down and may get stuck. You don't want to be taking a trip to the vet to have it surgically removed. This happens more often than we would like.
Rawhide bones great for chewing as long as that is the only thing they are doing with it, always supervise the use of them. Also, chew flips of any size are too dangerous. The dog gums them up and swallows the whole piece. This may not have happened yet to those of you who let your dogs eat them but it only takes one time.

Prin
July 27th, 2005, 12:30 AM
Sorry, but what's a "chew flip"?

toby's tracy
July 27th, 2005, 12:31 AM
You can also use rawhide for chewing only, not for eating. Make sure it is large enough for your dog.

It is too difficult to make sure Toby doesn't eat the rawhide - he's fast! But today I found him a kong-ish toy that I stuffed with peanut butter and kibble. He is still trying to get that last piece of kibble out...6 hours later!

and he has his braided rope, that I soak and keep in the freezer over night. Something else he is enjoying lately is to ball up his blankie and to chew on a part of it. Sometimes he wraps another toy - a nylon bone or a kong - in the blanket (it's actually a sheet) and chews on it through the sheet.

He seems to be figuring out what he needs to do to keep comfy!

Another question: How long does teething last for puppies? (He's a lab/rott cross..not a JRT :) )

StaceyB
July 27th, 2005, 12:56 AM
A chew flip is a flat piece of rawhide, rectangle shape.
Teething lasts usually until they are around 5 months, depending on how they lose and grow teeth. They will go through approx 3-4. Once they start to lose teeth, you may notice the teething is worse every couple of weeks until those big molars come in(they hurt).
Many dogs feel the need to exercise their jaw and/or release frustrations for their entire lifetime. This doesn't mean that they will remain distructive.

toby's tracy
July 27th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Teething lasts usually until they are around 5 months, depending on how they lose and grow teeth. They will go through approx 3-4. Once they start to lose teeth, you may notice the teething is worse every couple of weeks until those big molars come in(they hurt).

I want to check if I understand...

They go through a few different sets of puppy teeth before the final ones come in?

Is the arrival of the big molars the indication that it is over?

thanks!

StaceyB
July 27th, 2005, 10:07 AM
No,no, they grow in the first set(puppy). Then a short period of time passes, teething calms down a bit. Then they begin to lose the front teeth, replaced w/ adult, then the canines, replaced w/ adult, begin to grow molars. There is usually a short period of time between each 1-2 wks. They have only two sets the same as you.

toby's tracy
July 28th, 2005, 04:22 PM
No,no, they grow in the first set(puppy). Then a short period of time passes, teething calms down a bit. Then they begin to lose the front teeth, replaced w/ adult, then the canines, replaced w/ adult, begin to grow molars. There is usually a short period of time between each 1-2 wks. They have only two sets the same as you.

thanks for the clarification!

Do you know if there is an average age for dogs when all of the teething should be done? Like, by 6 months?

thanks! :)

toby's tracy
July 28th, 2005, 04:23 PM
oops - never mind :o I see that you answered that one earlier...

He is 5 months now...so this should be over soon, right?

thanks!

nymph
July 28th, 2005, 04:34 PM
rawhides are not good chewing materials when puppy's teething. Blood was all over the rawhide bone when Diego was teething, that's a mistake I'll never make again. Frozen rope knots in chicken broth are the best.