Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question for scrapbookers!

raingirl
July 16th, 2005, 09:34 AM
I know very little about scrap booking. However, for my friends babyshower next weekend I was thinking of making a "scrap book" for her.

I understand you create pages and put them in plastic sleeves in a "binder" type book right? And you can add as many pages as needed (to the maximum size).

I was hoping to find a small (half page size) pastel coloured book, but one that will lay flat when opened, where I would fill it with baby tips, ideas, recipes, etc, and leave quite a few pages blank so people can fill in their own tips and stuff at the shower.

I thought it would be a great idea because the plastic pages you could write on with a overhead marker to make notes if needed. Plus, I would provide some double stick tape to my friend so if she sees articles of recipes, she can cut them out and tape them in blank pages.

I went to our local Michael's arts and crafts and they didn't have any pastel small scrap books. Only leather like ones or dark colours. Where else would I look for such books? I did see a pack of "baby" paper which I think I will get. It had paper, stickers, and stuff like that for about $15. Does walmart sell stuff like that?

JDG
July 16th, 2005, 09:53 AM
I'm not a scrapbooker much myself, but I received a couple when I got married.

Walmart does carry scrapbooking stuff, I'm not sure what their selection of albums would be. I went and looked for black 'photo corners' once and they didn't have them.

My mother in law is trying despratly to get me into scrapbooking - she wants me to re-do all her old albums for her.

Anyways - at christmas she gave me a membership to Lewiscraft - apparently they are supposed to be the place to go for scrapbooking stuff. I'm sorry to say, I've never been so I don't know how acurate that statment it. . . .

JDG
July 16th, 2005, 09:55 AM
If you have time to drive around a bit. I found a couple great scrapbooking albums (that I gave as gifts at other people's showers) at Winners/Home Sense. . . . . really really high quality, under $20!

Also - if you felt like going for a drive, China Town Toronto has some great paper stores that sell albums. . .

raingirl
July 16th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Oh Yeah, didin't think of China Town! Don't think I have time for that today (I need to make 100 red roses out of royal icing, 100 white and yellow daisys out of royal icing, 50 blue and 50 pink drop flowers out of royal icing, one batch of red colour flow icing, one batch of skin colour colour flow icing, I need to find a box for people to put their wedding cards in...you know, those locked ones so monetary gifts are safe, and I need to go shopping for all the baking I need to do this week) all that on top of finding scrap booking stuff!

JDG
July 16th, 2005, 10:08 AM
For the locked box - most venues have them to rent. Its very minimal like $10-$20 for the day.

raingirl
July 16th, 2005, 10:15 AM
She isn't having her wedding at a venue though. It's a small wedding (50 people) being held in the meeting/common room of her uncle's condo. So we have to make one. Also, they have requested cash gifts only (as they are not staying in Canada, and where they live in scotland, it's already furnished) and the money is going to baby stuff back in the UK. So...we have to make a box. You know how craft stores sell large paper mache shapes sometimes? I saw a book shaped one once, about 12 by 14 inches, which would be perfect as they are both teachers. I was going to paint it, cut a hole in the back and glue a simple lock to it, and put a slit in the top for cards.

So many things to do, so little time!!

Britishvixen21
July 16th, 2005, 07:45 PM
theres a really cool place at Broadview and Danforth that sell all that kinda of stuff dont know how expensive they are though. its on the south side of danforth about 10 shops in from broadview / danforth intersection (cant remember name sorry)

Britishvixen21
July 16th, 2005, 07:46 PM
BTW RAingirl how is your freind doing, baby arrived yet? how where those websites?

raingirl
July 16th, 2005, 08:27 PM
British, she is 5 months along, not due until christmas. She actually comes home (to canada) this week, and I can't wait to see her!! The websites were awesome, thanks! Her mom loves it now that she knows what she can buy for my friend online. Unfortunately, a lot of the sites didn't deliver to where she lives, so they will have to pick up any items her mom buys.

Well, I decided to axe the scrap book idea. I was looking at just the binders today, and there were $20-$30 alone and that is too expensive for me (I'm broke as it is). My friend already knows her gift from me is her wedding cake anyway, which is expensive in itself to make.