Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Odin's at the vet....

raingirl
July 15th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Well, yesterday we noticed something stuck in between Odin's front teeth on the top. This area you can hardly see because of the shape of his jaw, so we have no idea how long it's been there, but it might have been some time because it was all gucky (eewww). It's possible this has been there since before we got him, so we have no idea what caused it.

Anyway, looks like it's a peice of something like string maybe. He chews everything, so it could be anything (she chewed a few books, so it could be a small peice of paper, he has chewed some toys, nylabone, rope toys, anything!). It didn't seem to be bothering him though so thats why we didn't notice it.

So, we took him to the vet tonight and he said (after looking) that it wasn't just something stuck in his teeth, but something is imbedded in his gums right along his upper gum line, across his whole front teeth (about 1 inch long). Odin was fussing a lot when the vet tried to look at it and tried to get it out, so unfortunately we had to leave him there over night to be put under sedation so they can get it out. We were originally were going to go back tomorrow with him, but the vet said it would be better tonight as they are having a slow night and the night vet could do it and watch him closely. If we did it tomorrow, it could be more busy and rushed. Plus, we mentioned he needed his nails clipped, and the vet wanted to clean his ears, both of which he offered to do for free (since they weren't busy!).

So...Odin isn't with us tonight. We are alone for the first time in 6 months. I'm just a little worried because the vet said if the simple basic sedation doesn't work, they will have to put him under for a few minutes to do the procedure. They are going to use Isoflorane, which is supposed to be the best anesthetic for bulldogs.

Anyone had anything happen like this before? I know bulldogs have a unique jaw...so it's really hard to explain what I saw. I just hope the damage wasn't too extensive that they would have to cut his gums or anything, or remove any teeth.

All in all though, the price for the quote was good, and it's something our insurance covers (thank goodness!). It was actually cheaper to keep him overnight there then to keep him for 5 hours during the day tomorrow (day rate is higher).

So...keep Odin in your thoughts tonight please! We miss him so much, I actually cried in the car on the way home.

NicInNC
July 15th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Poor little fella... :(

My parents recently fostered a greyhound from an abusive home (it was on the news and everything). The dog was NASTY. They bathed her probably 8 times, but she still stunk and her breath was HORRIBLE. The vet ended up pulling all her teeth but 2. He said there was grass and tiny rocks embedded up around the root of her teeth and all infected. He said that it had probably been building up in there for years. Once they got those teeth out, her breath smelled so much better and even SHE smelled better. I honestly think the odor from her gums/teeth had made it through her whole body.

It's a good thing you noticed it though before it got infected!

Jackie467
July 15th, 2005, 11:01 PM
I'm sorry this happened. I hope everything goes well. I'll be praying for him and you as well.

My mom's dog once cryed and cryed for 3 days and wouldn't eat very well (very unusual for him). Well on the third day my mom looked in his mouth, by accident actully, and there was a stick stuck long ways between his teeth on the roof of his mouth. She almost couldn't get it out and was ready to take him to the vet when she finally got it out. I'm just glad we figured out it was in there. Unlike Odin he was crying and crying so we knew something was wrong.

I hope everything goes well, make sure you keep us updated.

Luba
July 15th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Awe poor Odin but you're suffering more then him trust me. He's just fine but you are the worry wart one...waiting and wondering. He's just gonna be drugged and have a little procedure done he'll be fine, you'll see.

My girl has and will have ongoing issues about her dental troubles as she has an extremely undershot jaw, had to have doggie braces on her teeth and everything ..gums get inflammed, has trouble eating / picking things up and drinking unless the dish is full right to the brim.

They do make due with what they were born with but if we can make them more comfy we should :D

So glad u noticed that before it got bad.

I know of a dog that was an outdoor dog (rescue got it mind you and it got a good home after) the dog was left outside had a piece of bone embedded in the roof of it's mouth for YEARS. It was badly infected, required extensive surgery but that dog was so very happy afterwards and did get a loving home.

They pull through a lot with love and the right care so don't worry :grouphug:

Prin
July 16th, 2005, 02:36 AM
Good luck, Raingirl. I hope all ends well. :) :fingerscr :grouphug: No matter how trivial the procedure, surgery is ALWAYS scary. And the WORST thing about it is the night at home without the doggy. I never look at my dogs the same way when they have had to stay at the vet. They just seem so mortal and fragile. And then they come home, and get even more love. ;) :grouphug:

raingirl
July 16th, 2005, 05:39 AM
Well, BF just called the vet. Vet told us it was some kind of peice of string, caught in his teeth, and another peice that was stuck to his gums some how that had lacerated them. He didn't know from where though, so we will have to be extra careful in what we let him chew from now on. We usually don't care if he chews things that we don't care about, but no more! We are going to have to pull out a spray again to deter him from chewing things.

Procedure went well though, and we are just hopping in the shower and then going to pick him up! Can't wait to see him. He may be groggy today, so we will be spending lots of time home with him!

chico2
July 16th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Raingirl,that's good to hear... :highfive: hugs to sweet Odin!

raingirl
July 16th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Well, he's home. Not groggy at all though. Running around and acting quite normal. Drinking lots of water because I think he couldn't have any all last night, and eating a little food (small portions).

He is a little needy though. If I am in the room with him, he barks for my BF to join us. He just wants to be near us.

Vet told us to keep an eye on him to make sure the area doesn't get sore/infected. It wasn't infected so he doesn't need antibiotics (yay).

I have so many errands to run today, so BF is going to stay home with him.

Thanks for all the good thoughts guys!

Prin
July 16th, 2005, 10:11 AM
That's great. Lucky Odin has a mom who notices things right away, to save him some unnecessary pain. :highfive:

Could the string have been dental floss? I'm just hearing the line from the Family Guy, where Brian (the dog) says, "If dental floss is not food, WHY is it MINTY!!"

Luba
July 16th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Thats great news :D YAY

toby's tracy
July 16th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Yay! I'm glad Odin is back home and ok!

I know that when I have just a little cut or pain in my mouth it feels like I have a golf-ball sized boo boo...poor Odin!

:love:

Jackie467
July 16th, 2005, 01:11 PM
I'm so glad everything is good. :highfive: I haven't seen any Odin pictures lately. I'm going through withdrawl. *hint hint*. lol.

Shamrock
July 16th, 2005, 01:35 PM
So glad to hear that your sweetie is back and home and on the mend, Raingirl.
What a huge relief for you!

Yes, some new pics of your Odin would so nice to see! :)

raingirl
July 16th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Well...Odin threw up once this afternoon, which we were warned might happen. While I was out I got some babyfood and he really likes that, so hopefully he can keep that down. He's been drinking a ton though, is that normal??

We also got him to sit still and looked at his teeth. At least what was in between the teeth is gone, but there is something again in his gum and it looks like his fur. I guess when he licks himself, his fur gets stuck up there! We will try and get it out later when trying to brush his teeth (he is still getting used to that).

Lucky Rescue
July 16th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Glad to hear your bully-boy came through fine!:)

pags
July 16th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Poor baby. Do our doggies really have to keep us in fits of worry so often? :D

Anesthesia can make ya thirsty... I know that's how it works for ME at least. :p
Besides -- I'm wondering if drinking helps him sooth any discomfort in his gums right now? Could be.

I'm really glad he's doing okay now though.. and GOOD FOR YOU being so attentive and catching this!!! :grouphug:

Copper'sMom
July 19th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Oh raingirl!! I'm sorry I missed this thread...busy working weekends!! I hope Odin is feeling better!! I know how you felt being away from Odin for a night!! Kind of lonely isn't it?? You don't realize what ya miss until it's gone!

Hope he's doing better! :grouphug: