Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Male Dogs/Cats Marking Together

dhl123
July 15th, 2005, 03:48 PM
I have had poodles all my life (mostly male), and have always had trouble w/ markings. I have lived w/ it, as I have usually not neutered them since I've thought several times about breeding them. My current poodle is the same scenario. He does mark, but it cleans up fairly easily. Last year, we took in a stray female cat and took her to be spayed immediately (or as soon as reasonably possibly since she was severely underweight). After we had her for a year, we realized how in love we were w/ her. She was/is the perfect cat. So we then wanted to adopt a kitten (thinking she might like some company). We shortly thereafter adoped a male kitten about 4 1/2 weeks old that didn't have a mother. He is an orange tabby if this ends up mattering. We had him neutered as soon as possible as we had heard that cat markings were bad news (truthfully, we thought we had picked out a female but found out at the first vet visit that we had a male instead). He was about 4 1/2 mo old when he was neutered. About two months later, he started marking where my dog marks, plus the room he sleeps in. Thankfully it is not the vertical marking, he's just marking where the dog marks (on the floor, which is carpeted). Unfortunately, his marking is much stronger and more pungent than the dog's. I have purchased a neutralizer and clean up regularly. I have read many reasons this could happen. The cats do not get along at this point, and we do keep them separated for the most part but are slowly starting to introduce them (formally) to each other, which is a slow process but working ok so far. We hate to put our young cat on medication, but don't know if anything will really work. Giving him up is not an option as we do not have kids and these three animals are our "kids". We are very attached to all of them, but we want this "cleaned" up and certainly don't want it to get worse. My dog is now 11 years old, so I don't see neutering him as an option at this point in his life (he is an indoor dog w/ only outdoor access to a fenced in backyard). If anyone has had male dogs and cats living together and has had this or a similar scenario, please let me know what worked (if anything). Both cats do use the litterbox very well. Female cat is indoor/outdoor and male cat is only indoor at this time, although we anticipate integrating him outdoors when he's around a year old, which will be in Sept. Dog and male cat get along fine, they play a little too rough at times, but get along most of the time (the male dog seems to take on "maternal" instincts from time to time correcting him). Also, we don't have many stray cats around here, but every once in a while one seems to pick up on our female's scent. Dog also gets along w/ the female cat. Sorry this is so lengthy, just wanted to make sure if there is advice out there from anyone who has gone thru this that they understand our complete scenario. Thanks in advance for any advice out there!

Lucky Rescue
July 15th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Normally, 6 1/2 month old male kittens do not mark, although anything is possible,

If he is actually squatting and peeing and not standing and spraying, then you need to take him to the vet to have him checked for any urinary problems, such as crystals or stones. These are very common in neutered males who eat dry food only.

If there is no problem with his bladder or urinary tract, come back and I'll have more advice for you!:)

dhl123
July 15th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Thank you, Lucky Rescue for your response. We did talk to our vet about this over the phone this morning, but he didn't mention the urinary tract factor (although) I've heard of this. Regarding this thought, the thing that doesn't make sense to me is why he's only doing it where the dog marks. If it were truly a urinary tract problem, wouldn't it be more random than this? He eats a combination of wet food and dry kitten mix together. There does not appear to be any "vertical marking" anywhere, only just on the carpet where the dog has marked. I'm still stuck on the fact that this is more behavioral than medical (as is my husband), but we will ask the vet next week what he thinks. Any other input after this post?

dhl123
July 15th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Oh, one other thing: The reason I mentioned he is an orange tabby cat is because his personality is so very different from our other cat (I don't necessarily know if this is due to him being an orange tabby, but might). He is a rather large cat (or at least headed that way) and seems to be fairly aggressive (not problematic aggressive), just very "wired". This is another piece I've sort of added to the puzzle and I'm sure this is partly due to him being so young still. But he is not at all a "laid back" cat at this point. He is extremely affectionate and loving, but can be like a "bull in a china shop" for the most part (he's actually very funny to watch). This is also the reason we don't let him outside yet. He sort of goes crazy. We do know who is mother and father were/are. Father is a grey tabby, VERY laid back and sweet and mother is crazy wild (black cat). He certainly seems to have more of his mother's personality (and looks like his dad, except for color). There was a BBQ place up here that the cats run around and they found the litter (at two days old) but never could catch the mother (they were afraid they would get killed by other roaming animals). We've been around the father cat some as we eat outside on the deck a lot (where he hangs out). The mother cat really seriously seems wild. She will not let humans touch her and is constantly on the run.

Lucky Rescue
July 15th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Orange cats are VERY popular with our adopters and with good reason.

How feral a cat will be depends a lot on how many generations the parents were feral.

If your kitten's mother comes from a long line of feral cats, then your kitty may indeed have some of the "wild thing" in him!

It's unusual for animals to mark for different species, but it does happen.

You say your cat is "wired". I have one of those too, and they are thin-skinned and easily stressed,which could account for the marking. Neutered cats mark to spread their own scent around. Being surrounded with their smell comforts them and reassures them that this is their territory.("Mine, mine, MINE!")

Once again, I"m going to suggest Rescue Remedy. I have my "freak" cat on it, and it has helped. You can get it at health food stores and even at some grocery stores.

If at all possible, I would get a humane trap for the mother cat, and at least get her spayed.

dhl123
July 15th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Well, I'll have to tell you, I totally agree w/ the getting the mother spayed. Unfortunately, this is not on my land (that they are on), so I don't feel like I had a right to go in and start intervention. Also, unfortunately, the owner of the property really loves cats and seems to just believe in "what happens naturally". I do know that we were one of only about two other families that she even allowed to adopt these kittens, and she kept the remainder. She was extremely adament about "good homes" for them. I have heard of the product you mentioned. I think I will try it since you really seem to understand where our kitten is coming from at this point. In the event I should have trouble finding it around here, is there a website? If you need to e-mail me personally (as I know this forum is not advocating "advertising"), let me know. I am absolutely desperate at this point to try to hault this (we are going out this weekend to get more bed liners to put around in an effort to prevent this from sinking further into the carpets). If someone knows something is working, I'm going to try it. THANKS SO VERY MUCH FOR ALL OF YOUR INFO AND SUPPORT TODAY!! I absolutely love animals and just have to find a way we can all live together in harmony. Take care, and let me know if you know or hear of anything else!