- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 



July 15th, 2005, 03:11 PM
We are painting the basement floor this weekend and ripping up some wall. Shadow stays in the basement when we are gone to work. Is it OK to have the dogs in the house while we paint and after it is dry can Shadow hang down there while we are at work or would it be safer to have her upstairs. Im worried about the fumes becuase there is only a couple of small windows down there and Im not even sure if they open.

July 15th, 2005, 03:33 PM
I'm constantly painting something.. you know always in a state of remodelling around here... But I am a wee bit on the paranoid side about paint fumes. I don't think short exposure to the fumes is so bad but being in a freshly painted room for a few hours at a time I think is a no no -- for human or furry alike. I, personally wouldn't have a problem having dogs (and kids) in the house while I"m painting as long as there's still plenty of air-flow going on from moving around.. and if the dogs (and kids) are able to move freely from room to room if the fumes are starting to bother them.... But I think I'd wait til the fumes die down completely before leaving Shadow down there while you're at work. If the smell still hits you in the face when you open the door -- give it some more time to air it out. Just to be on the safe side!

July 15th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Thanks! I find Im quite paranoid aswell. Paint usually gives me a bit of a headache so I was worried. Guess we will see how she does upstairs! Hopefully she proves herself then she hand out up there all the time with Belle!
Thanks again

July 15th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Add a tablespoon of pure vanilla extract to the paint to reduce the odour. Put a fan in the window pointing OUTSIDE, this will suck the fumes out of the air faster.

You should always wear a mask :D

July 15th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Add a tablespoon of pure vanilla extract to the paint to reduce the odour.

Really? Ive never heard of that! But Im going to try it and I have tons of fans in the house (no air conditioning :sad: ) so Im sure I can spare one for the basement!

Thanks for the suggestions!

July 16th, 2005, 01:16 AM
The thing is, vanilla might mask the smell, but the fumes will still be there. Don't risk your doggy's life-- keep him clear of any freshly painted rooms. Lock Shadow in the bathroom or another room instead for a while.

Honestly, paint fumes make me sick. I have to wear a really elaborate mask when I am painting or I get really sick-- even if it's latex paint. The fact that I can walk into a newly painted room a few hours after it's been painted and get nauseous right away means there is something in the air to make me that way.

July 16th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Prin I'm the same way I can't stand the smell of anything chemically based. I get horribly ill at the smell of bleach, detergents, perfumes..anything!

Yes the vanilla just masks the odor (some people don't mind)

Thats why I suggested the fan out the window to extract the fumes outside of the home. :D