Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Thirsty animals...

chico2
July 15th, 2005, 07:48 AM
I would just like to ask everyone who possibly can,to keep their birdbaths filled,to give water to any stray cat,you could save a life :love:
Birds in this heat,get exhausted and a much easier prey,they need water..
Cats and dogs can easily die from dehydration..
It's easy to assume a cat is only roaming and has a home,but he could also be a stray dying from thirst.
Resently a good samaritan,fed and watered a cat,I and a neighbor(the owner) had been looking for,for two weeks.After 2 days she called Humane Society and the cat is back home with it's owner :thumbs up
This lady more than likely saved Gabbys life,she's very skinny and very close to dehydration,but safe now.
A good idea for a temporary bird-bath is an overturned trash-can lid,birds are not picky and please if you see a cat or dog hanging around,give them water!!

JDG
July 15th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Chico, great idea. ..

May I add something. . . Make sure to keep the water fresh, and change it often to reduce the breeding grounds for mosquitos (and the West Nile Virus).

chico2
July 15th, 2005, 07:58 AM
JDg,you read my mind..I just realized I forgot to add that,a very important point!!

Eleni
July 15th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Ive been leaving ice water on my balcony for the birds, when sam doesnt try to drink it

I know all my animals are hating this weather, im sure the wild animals arent enjoying it

Luba
July 15th, 2005, 09:15 AM
YAY my friend Anita!!

I have pans of fresh water down I refill daily for mostly the squirrels but hey cats come and enjoy it when I'm not around probably ...most hide from me, the strays that is.

I have 5 birdbaths and fresh sprays of water running to two of them in this heat, they are refilled all the time!!

Great reminder Anita, most people forget about the wild animals. Since we are the horrible humans that take over their watering holes and build WalMart and HomeDepot's on them :( grrrr @ big stores. May I add Toronto east is looking like a dumping ground for box stores. Every little piece of land left is being turned into big ugly building. I'm not happy with it at all!

badger
July 15th, 2005, 09:33 AM
THANK YOU Anita, so true. I've been begging my community garden to buy a birdbath for years. The latest excuse, get this, 'birds steal stuff from our gardens, we don't want to encourage them'. What????? (When I am queen, such rank ignorance will be a crime). Anyway, when I'm there, I go around to all the water barrels and fill them to overflowing. The birds actually hang around, waiting for me to finish.

chico2
July 15th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Aww Badger,when you are a queen,I'll be your loyal subject,first thing on the agenda,guillotine for all people cruel to animals :evil: