Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stomach virus?

NicInNC
July 14th, 2005, 10:44 PM
My sheltie had me up every single hour last night whining to go out. As soon as she hit the grass, she'd start eating it, so I knew she must not be feeling well. She finally threw up this afternoon and has thrown up about a totale of 5 times today. Called the vet and they said to watch her for 24 hrs that it could just be a stomach virus. She had a "virus" about 3 years ago and puked for 2 straight days. She was very sick, but kept down enough to keep her from getting dehydrated. By day 3, she was fine.

I didn't ask, but I know with my kids, when they are throwing up I give an ounce and wait an hour. If they hold it down, I give another ounce of fluid. If they hold that down, I start ever 30 minutes. If they throw up, we start over. I've always been told to do this and it's always kept them from getting dehydrated except once my daughter DID have to be put on IV fluids.

Should I do the same with Cricket? If so, should I do an ounce or a smaller/larger amount at a time? I wonder if it's ok to give a dog Gatorade? LOL I'm serious! Do you think that would be better than water?

Hopefully she'll be ok tomorrow and it's just a stomch virus and not something worse.

Prin
July 14th, 2005, 11:07 PM
No gatorade. There is too much sugar. Go to the pharmacy and buy unflavored pedialyte and you can dilute it with water.

I would also withhold food for 24 hours. Empty her out. After that, give her up to a 1/2 of her normal portion of food, and see how it passes. If she throws up or has diarrhea, head to the vet. If she passes it fine, feed another half.

Remember though, any time a dog has both vomitting and diarrhea, you REALLY have to get to the vet ASAP.

NicInNC
July 14th, 2005, 11:16 PM
No gatorade. There is too much sugar. Go to the pharmacy and buy unflavored pedialyte and you can dilute it with water.

I would also withhold food for 24 hours. Empty her out. After that, give her up to a 1/2 of her normal portion of food, and see how it passes. If she throws up or has diarrhea, head to the vet. If she passes it fine, feed another half.

Remember though, any time a dog has both vomitting and diarrhea, you REALLY have to get to the vet ASAP.

I didn't feed her her food tonight, so it's going on 14 hours since she last ate food. I called the vet and they seemed unconcerned. They said they get worried if they're vomiting like every hour or if it's been over 24 hours. I'll admit that I'm not TOO worried since she's been sick in the past with the same symptoms. I will definentally watch her overnight and take her first thing in the am if she isn't better. And if she gets worse, I'll take her to the emergency vet. It's been 2 hours since she last threw up, so that's a plus. She's probably drank about 4 ounces of water since she last threw up (she threw up around 8pm. That was 4 hours ago). If she goes another hour, I'm going to put a small amount of water in her bowl. I'm hoping she'll sleep better tonight.

NicInNC
July 14th, 2005, 11:17 PM
BTW...no diarrhea. She messed earlier and it wasn't even runny. And no fever.

NicInNC
July 15th, 2005, 10:22 AM

Just wanted to let you know that she didn't throw up anymore last night. YAY! She's still acting puney today, but I'm sure she is sore and stil not feeling all that great. I'm just glad she made it all night without throwing up. She is also urinating fine, so that lets me know she's not dehydrated.

I'm wondering now if maybe she got ahold of something to eat that didn't agree with her. But I don't see where that would happen because our yard is fenced in with privacy fencing.

Who knows. I'm just glad she's a lot better today.

Luba
July 15th, 2005, 10:40 AM
I'd hold off feeding any large meals if no puke session anymore she prob just got into something (ewe who knows)

I like to give boiled chicken and some boiled mashed potato, small very small feedings cut up really tiny.

:D

Glad she's feeling better and you must be real tired huh!

jessi76
July 15th, 2005, 11:47 AM
well, I'm right there w/ ya. My little guy, Tucker, puked about 5 times last night too. After cleaning the carpets 3x, we sat on the front porch with him for a bit. I think our guy just ate too much, too many treats, or ate something he wasn't supposed to. I did notice him doing some weeding (weed-eating, i should say) in my front garden.... and then pulled cat poo out of the litterbox... and ate a whole greenie... and got new treats for training.... gee, i wonder why he puked :rolleyes:

glad your sheltie is feeling better!

Luba
July 15th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Well was the night for the pukes huh..

Doggie weed eaters LOL

NicInNC
July 15th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Well was the night for the pukes huh..

Doggie weed eaters LOL

OMG!!! :eek: You saying that made me realize what may have made her sick!!!!!!!! I put down Seven Dust a few days ago to try and get rid of all the Japanese beetles in our yard. It says it's safe for use around dogs (heck, it even said it could be used ON dogs, but I would NEVER do that), but since she was eating the grass, I bet that's what made her sick. I never even thought of that. Good GRIEF.

I'm going to cut the grass tomorrow. It need cut. I'll cut it shorter than usual and make sure she eats NO GRASS.

I can't believe I never thought of that.

NicInNC
July 15th, 2005, 09:07 PM
BTW, she ate just fine tonight and is acting MUCH better.

Prin
July 16th, 2005, 01:40 AM
I'm glad the doggy is doing better. :) By the way, the best way to tell if a dog is dehydrated is by grabbing the neck fur and letting go. It should go back almost faster than you can see. If it's any slower than that, she needs fluids.

With the heat and humidity, bacteria are growing everywhere... I think if it was the pesticide, you wouldn't see her getting better so quickly...