Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anyone have experience with colitis?

Wudjah
July 14th, 2005, 09:52 PM
My 6 month old chihuahua pup Tequila started having loose, bloody stools on Wednesday morning. We just brought our new pug puppy home the night before and she seemed a bit put out. I took a stool sample to the vet right away (not her as she was acting normal) and it tested negative for parasites. The vet said to watch her and if it continued to bring her in on Thursday. Later in the day she was still passing this loose (not diarrhea, but loose formed stools) with blood and mucous. She was still eating fine and acting normal. At around 4:30 she hate a big cheezie that fell on the floor. Half an hour later she was lethargic and looking sick (although still wanted to share a hotdog with my husband). We called the vet who said to bring her in first thing this morning. She threw up the cheezie a bit later and then felt much better! All night she passed the loose/bloody/mucousy stools and there was a definite sense of urgency when she had to go!

So this morning we went to the vet - she was mildly dehydrated (I knew this and was giving her fluids by mouth and could have given them subcutaneously but wimped out as she's so small!). She stayed there for the day and was given fluids sub-cu twice and then sent home on antibiotics and with bland food. The vet says she has stress induced colitis (in all likelyhood because of the new puppy). Does anyone have any experience with this?? How long it might last? The vet couldn't give me any definite answers other then to keep her on the antibiotics for 10 days.

She was acting almost like her old self when she came home tonight and ate a bit of the gastro canned food. She is quite sore because of the fluids and yelps when I move her. She didn't pass any stool at the vets but once she came home she had a loose, mucousy one with no apparent blood. She won't eat her food although she would like to eat junk food but she's understandably not allowed.

Any thoughts on this condition would be appreciated. It's one thing I have never encountered or had to deal with.

Jenny

Lucky Rescue
July 14th, 2005, 10:04 PM
There are many causes for colitis, but if the vet is sure it's stress induced, I would try a bland diet for awhile (something like boiled chicken and rice) and I would also start giving Rescue Remedy, a herbal compound that is calming.

I just started one of my cats on RR, and already I've seen that it's relieved some of her nervousness or "taken the edge off"! It's tasteless so can be added to food (3 or 4 drops per meal) and you can't overdose them on it!

As you know, for a Chi, dehydration can rapidly become serious and even fatal, so keep her hydrated.

Hope she will feel better!

Wudjah
July 14th, 2005, 10:13 PM
I've heard of RR, but have no idea where to get it. Is it available at any stores or must it be ordered online?
As for the dehydration, I do have a lactated ringer and syringes/needles on hand just incase. She is definetely not suffering from it now - she's pee'd twice since coming home, huge amounts and normal coloured, and she's still puffed up a bit from the fluids. I'd hate to have to do it to her though as she is still VERY sore. I've looked after a lot of sick puppies and kittens and given sub-q(cu?) fluids many times and never had one act as sore as she's acting.

Jenny

Luba
July 14th, 2005, 11:40 PM
I can't say enough for probiotics...if you don't want to buy the probiotics at a health food store go buy some plain yogurt. (organic is best)

Feed the dog yogurt daily...even three times a day..a little tiny teaspoon each time for just a lil tiny doggie :D

It should work wonders!

Lucky Rescue
July 15th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Many health food stores have RR. I got mine at Loblaw's which I believe is called Independant in ON.

You could order it online too. Just Google Rescue Remedy.

My cat is so uptight and nervy that she had a convulsion when I slammed a window, and it's helping her!