-->

Feeding dogs their own hair.

guildwars1987
July 14th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Thread continued for discussion.

Sneaky
July 14th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Hi there,
yes it is bad for dogs the same way it is for cats.
The best thing to do would be to feed your dog down a
spoonful of mineral, vegetable, or olive oil to grease the hair
up and allow it to be passed.

mafiaprincess
July 14th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Please avoid mineral oil. Their bodies cannot handle it. It is never able to leave and therefore is a terrible laxitive as well.

Luba
July 14th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Constipation 101

Add some fish oil/flax seed oil or olive oil to the food
1 tablespoon

Puppyluv
July 14th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Does anyone have some advice on how to prevent their dog from eating their own hair? My dog sheds A LOT, and i mean A LOT (no matter what she's fed, fatty acid supplements, the shedding is unbelievable) and even though I brush her daily, she's always lickling her fur, and I know it comes off with her licks. I stop her when I'm with her, but I have a strong feeling that she licks it off when I'm gone too. Any thoughts?

Prin
July 14th, 2005, 11:56 PM
Boo eats dirt and that seems to pass the wads of fur really well... :rolleyes:

Luba
July 15th, 2005, 12:37 AM
Maybe she smells and tastes the supplements in her fur and skin. What are you using? Maybe switch to something different?

And Prin u r bad :p

ANBshilling
July 15th, 2005, 10:00 AM
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but about how long (average) is a shedding season?

kandy
July 15th, 2005, 12:48 PM
I'd say the 'shedding season' depends on the dog and the climate you live in. My newfs shed pretty much all year round, although this time of year the hair comes out in clumps. My mom's rotti also shed all year, some times were worse than others.

I'm sure that my dogs have all swallowed some of their hair while grooming, but I've never seen any problems because of it. I do try to keep them from eating too much of it by brushing them everyday - and sometimes twice a day during the heavy shedding season.

sammiec
July 15th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Maybe it's just me... but I kinda wonder if this thread started off as a hoax...
"Feeding dogs their own hair".....??? Is this person feeding the dog its own hair???

Beaglemom
July 15th, 2005, 01:05 PM
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but about how long (average) is a shedding season?
Dogs who live indoor will shed year round. Those who live outdoors shed most in the spring when they are getting rid of their winter coats.

I was just curious as to how a dog would eat a bunch of its own hair? Is your dog ripping it's hair out or is it just swallowing some hair while grooming? We've had long haired dogs and we never had a problem with clumps of hair not passing.

savannah
July 15th, 2005, 01:07 PM
I also like how this is the person's first post.

Now this might be a genuine post that the op made, but why not give us an explanation of why you came up with this question (ie, my dog licks at her paws) but how did a handful come up? :confused:

Puppyluv
July 15th, 2005, 01:20 PM
ha ha yes, it certainly seemed to be worded a little oddly... when i saw the thread title, I conjured images of someone mixing the fur into the food as some sort of 'old wives tale' supplement.
how bizarre

:confused:

Puppyluv
July 16th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Maybe she smells and tastes the supplements in her fur and skin. What are you using? Maybe switch to something different?

And Prin u r bad :p

Sorry Luba, wasn't shunning you, just never saw this post :sorry: Right now she's just on an O-3,6,9 (she eats Solid Gold Lamb and Brown Rice) It's not that the shedding bothers me (I grew up with a dal, so I'm used to little white 'needles' everywhere) but after reading this post, it made me a little concerned about her eating it? Needless worrying?

Prin
July 16th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Puppyluv, is her stool fine? If she licks tons of fur, is she ok? That's really the bottom line.

I just have to add that in my experience, if you pull out a clump (you know, when it's really coming out in clumps), and show it to the dog, the dog will attempt to eat it. I don't know why they do it but every dog I have ever had has done it. Of course I keep a good grip on the fur when I tried it-- can you imagine eating a CLUMP of DOG HAIR!?!? Ew. That's so disgusting, it borders animal abuse if you do that. :yuck: :yuck:

Puppyluv
July 16th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Her stool is normal, the hair that she does consume seems to pass, but its not like her stool is "hairy" :yuck: I guess I was misleading, it's not so much that she licks her own fur off of her, its that if she sees her hair lying somewhere, on carpet, under a chair, etc, she'll eat it. When I brush her, I have to keep all the hair away from her, otherwise she would try and eat it all :yuck: She just got a clean bill of health though, so it's not that shes diseased

Puppyluv
July 16th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Of course I keep a good grip on the fur when I tried it-- can you imagine eating a CLUMP of DOG HAIR!?!? Ew. That's so disgusting, it borders animal abuse if you do that. :yuck: :yuck:

Ha ha sort of like "feeding dogs their own hair"?? :p

Prin
July 16th, 2005, 10:45 AM
LOL yes, it is. :)

As for your doggy- is it possible that she's embarrassed by being so "messy" and is trying to clean up the hair for you?

If it's not causing trouble so far, I think it's ok, but if there ever is a blockage, you know why...

Prin
July 16th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Oh, and just so people know- Sometimes when you eat a hair, some wise guy will say "It's just protein". The truth is, even if it is protein, it's not a type of protein your body metabolizes or uses at all...

Puppyluv
July 16th, 2005, 10:51 AM
implying i'm messy? ;) actually that seems plausible, she's one of those 'embarassed dogs' if you know what I mean. I think I may just start vaccuming twice a day :thumbs up

And yeah, eating hair is just as useful of protein as eating your nails... mmmmmmmmm :yuck:

Prin
July 16th, 2005, 10:58 AM
No no, not you, her. You know, she is trying to clean up her own hair so you don't abandon her for shedding too much...

Puppyluv
July 16th, 2005, 11:01 AM
:sad: thats so sad just thinking about it makes my heart break :sad:

Prin
July 16th, 2005, 11:19 AM
They'll do anything to be loved, you know.