Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How old should Hazel be before I get another dog?

kandy
July 14th, 2005, 05:50 PM
I went to the local Humane Society to donate some dog food and saw some of the dogs (no one was there at the time) and then I went online to petfinder and pulled up the listing of the dogs there. I noticed that one of them is a 10 year old St. Bernard mix - female. I saw her there, but I didn't realize how old she was. I'd really like to adopt this dog as I know that her chances of adoption are pretty slim - being big, old and a major shedder. Of course, I don't know anything about her situation or if she has any behavioral issues - which of course I would fully research before taking her.

I don't want Hazel to act negatively, so I am wondering how old Hazel should be before I introduce another dog into the household. Hazel can be so rough with Parker, I would hate for her to do those things to an elderly dog. She was around a really old dog over the 4th, and she never tried to tackle her or anything though. Of course, hubby may absolutely balk at me adopting this dog, so it may be a moot point. I just can't help feeling like I may be the only one willing to take her in so that she can live happily in her twilight. :(

Prin
July 14th, 2005, 06:15 PM
It is a tough call. I guess it would depend on how rambunctious she is, along with how patient the old bird is, along with the usual dominance issues.

kandy
July 15th, 2005, 10:34 AM
I must've been sleeping when I looked at the Humane Society's site. The dog is a Great Pyrenees mix, not a St. Bernard - DUH! :o

Anyway, talked it over with hubby last night and he really thinks that Hazel would be too much for this old girl to handle on a daily basis. As we were talking, I'm watching Hazel - she was sneaking up on Parker, who was quietly enjoying a greenie. She got right up behind him and then just pounced on his head like a cat! DH is probably right - it wouldn't be fair to this old girl to subject her to Hazel everyday. I just feel so bad for this poor girl because I know that she'll be tough to adopt out. Most people won't even consider a dog that old. I've been racking my brain to think of someone who could give this girl a good home.

Cflat
July 15th, 2005, 11:06 AM
I personally don't think age is a factor albeit I understand that younger dogs have more energy and can be much more playful. The biggest factor I see is how the Pyr will act with Hazel. You already have a good idea how Hazel will act. Its really all about pack order and where Hazel and the Pyr see themselves in it and how aggressively they establish it.
Why don't you find out a little bit about the Pyr and if she seems like she would make a good pet, take Hazel to meet her preferably in neutral territory. Will this H.S. allow a "test drive" period? You are right that larger, older dogs are last to be adopted.
Good luck.

savannah
July 15th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Ahh that breaks my heart. I have such a soft spot for older dogs.
In case you ever decide to adopt a dog in the future (since it does not seem like a good match to bring that dog in right now), i don't think age is that much of an issue as temperments on all the dogs part.
I recently adopted a senior dog, and did not know much about him (most unhelpful staff) but i just knew i could not leave him there. Luckily, he is rather submissive, which works well with my somewhat dominant female dog. I think 2 dominant dogs can be a recipe for disaster (and heartbreak).

SarahLynn123
July 15th, 2005, 01:14 PM
I have an 8 year old GSD X that I recently rescued and a rumbunctious 3 year old Pom. Shadow (GSD) will play at times, but when she is not up to it she will let him know! He learned right away how to tell whether it was play time or not.

I have a soft spot for the older big dogs aswell. My friend jsut got a little pug and her 10 year old GSD lets the little buggar crawl all over him, pounce him, tug his ears, anything! it all depends on temperment. (None of my dogs would ever allow that :D )

Jackie467
July 15th, 2005, 02:28 PM
I always feel so bad for the older dogs because they are always last to be adopted and often they are the sweetest most deserving ones.

As far as Hazel being too hyper for the old girl it may be that Hazel won't bother her. Candi is very hyper with other dogs, she jumps all over them and plays very rough, but it's stange she knows which dogs she can do this with and which she can't. for instance my co-worker just adopted an elderly cocker who is very slow. She brought her to work (we all bring our dogs) and candi just sniffed her and then went back to playing with the others. she never once attempted to jump on her or bother her and they haven't even established where this cocker is in the pack. Candi just atomatically left her alone. You may be surprised how Hazel will react. She may realize the dog is older and won't like it and leave her alone. I think you should take them for a meeting on neutral ground and see what happens. That older girl deserves a great home with someone like you.

Sneaky
July 15th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Perhaps you could try taking your dog, and introducing them in the play yard at the spca? See how they interact before writing it off completely?
Dogs are very social, and I think this old girl would be happier with an annoying young friend, than she would be alone at the shelter.
:D